Learn more about General Surgery Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A general surgeon specializes in the surgical care of diseases, injuries and deformities affecting the abdomen, breasts, digestive tract, endocrine system, and skin. General surgeons treat many conditions affecting adults and children, including appendicitis, bowel obstruction, breast and colon cancer, gallstones, hernias, and pancreatitis.
A general surgeon typically:
- Evaluates the patient's medical history and determines if surgery is necessary
- Teaches patients the surgical procedure to be performed, how to prepare for surgery, and what to expect during recovery
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Performs exploratory procedures, such as endoscopy, colonoscopy and laparoscopy
- Performs a variety of surgeries, such as appendectomy, weight loss surgery, bowel obstruction repair, gallbladder removal, hemorrhoid repair, hernia repair, mastectomy, and thyroidectomy
General surgeons may also be known by their area of expertise, such as gastrointestinal surgeon, cancer surgeon, or trauma surgeon. General surgeons may also be referred to simply as a surgeon.
There are 11 specialists practicing General Surgery in Vero Beach, FL with an overall average rating of 4.1 stars. There are 4 hospitals near Vero Beach, FL with affiliated General Surgery specialists, including Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital, Sebastian River Medical Center and Adventhealth Orlando.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a General Surgery Specialist in Vero Beach, FL?
How can I find a Vero Beach, FL General Surgery Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female General Surgery Specialist in Vero Beach, FL?
How can I book an appointment online with a General Surgery Specialist in Vero Beach, FL?
How can I find a Vero Beach, FL General Surgery Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated General Surgery Specialist in Vero Beach, FL?