Who prescribes hormonal therapy?
The following doctors commonly prescribe hormonal therapy medications:
Endocrinologists are internal medicine doctors who specialize in the treatment of endocrine disorders.
Obstetrician and gynecologists (Ob/Gyns) specialize in general women's medical care and conditions and diseases of the female reproductive system.
Oncologists are internal medicine doctors who specialize in treating cancer.
Other doctors and providers who prescribe hormonal therapy include:
Family medicine doctors provide comprehensive healthcare to adults and children. Some family medicine doctors also provide prenatal care and deliver babies.
Internists provide comprehensive healthcare to adults. Internal medicine doctors do not perform surgery or deliver babies.
Midwives, including certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) and certified midwives (CMs). These types of midwives are healthcare professionals who provide prenatal, labor, and delivery care, and some gynecologic care, including menopause treatments. The ability of a midwife to prescribe hormonal therapy varies by state.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- The Endocrine System: Diseases, Types of Hormones & More. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Endo101/index.cfm.
- Growth Disorders. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Growth/growth.cfm.
- Growth Hormone Excess & Deficiency Treatment: Hormone Therapy. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Growth/treatment.cfm.
- Hyperthyroidism. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Thyroid/hyperthyroidism.cfm.
- Pituitary Disorders Treatment Options. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Pituitary/treatment.cfm.
- Primary Hyperparathyroidism. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Other/upload/primary-hyperparathyroidiam-bilingual-030110.pdf.