How is hormonal therapy delivered?
Your provider will prescribe hormonal therapy medications by mouth, patches you wear on your skin, or by injection.
Hormonal therapy in the form of surgery or radiation therapy is performed in a hospital or outpatient setting. Your provider will determine which type of treatment is best for you and how long you need to stay in the hospital or surgical center based on several factors. Factors include your diagnosis, age, medical history, general health, and possibly your personal preference.
Learn about the different hormonal therapy procedures for your condition. Ask why your doctor or provider will use a certain type for you.
Will I feel pain?
Hormonal therapy taken as pills is painless. Hormonal therapy given as shots may cause temporary soreness at the injection site. Let your doctor know if the discomfort does not pass quickly.
Hormonal therapy that involves radiation therapy or surgery may cause some discomfort. Your comfort and relaxation is important to both you and your care team. Your care team will give you sufficient anesthetic, pain and sedative medications so that you stay comfortable. Tell your doctor or care team if you are uncomfortable.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- The Endocrine System: Diseases, Types of Hormones & More. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Endo101/index.cfm.
- Growth Disorders. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Growth/growth.cfm.
- Growth Hormone Excess & Deficiency Treatment: Hormone Therapy. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Growth/treatment.cfm.
- Hyperthyroidism. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Thyroid/hyperthyroidism.cfm.
- Pituitary Disorders Treatment Options. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Pituitary/treatment.cfm.
- Primary Hyperparathyroidism. The Endocrine Society. http://www.hormone.org/Other/upload/primary-hyperparathyroidiam-bilingual-030110.pdf.