Find out some surprising facts about sleep apnea in this video.
5 Things You Didn’t Know About Sleep Apnea
1. At least 25 million American adults have sleep apnea.Sleep apnea occurs when airways are blocked during sleep, so you frequently stop breathing through the night.
2. Sleep apnea increases your risk of many other diseases.If you have sleep apnea, you’re at greater risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and more, which is why it’s crucial to get treated.
3. New CPAP options make treating sleep apnea easier.Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines provide airflow directly into airways via a mask. Patients can choose mask size, location, and more.
4. People with sleep apnea are twice as likely to get in car accidents.Untreated sleep apnea causes severe daytime sleepiness, which can make you fall asleep at the wheel. But CPAP therapy reduces this risk by 70%.
5. Losing weight improves sleep apnea.Losing just 10% of your body weight greatly reduces symptoms. In some cases, losing lots of weight can even cure sleep apnea!
Turn to Healthgrades to connect with the right sleep specialist for treating sleep apnea. And share this video to help spread the word!