Shingles Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- Do you have close contact with a pregnant mom, newborn, or someone with a weakened immune system?
- Are you having any pain in your face or around your eyes?
- Are you having any balance or hearing problems?
- How would you rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain ever?
- Describe your symptoms. Are you having pain, burning, numbness, itching, or sensitivity to touch? Where are you having symptoms? Do you have headaches, fatigue or fever?
- What other medical conditions do you have?
- What seems to make your symptoms better or worse?
- Have you ever had chicken pox, a chickenpox vaccine, or a shingles vaccine?
- What other medical conditions do you have? Any immune disorders? Are you receiving immunosuppressive drugs?
- What medications do you take, including cancer treatments?
- What side effects are you experiencing?
- What treatments have you tried so far?
- What new symptoms are you experiencing?
- Do you have close contact with anyone who has never had chickenpox or chickenpox vaccine?
- Do my symptoms mean I have shingles? How does a person contract shingles?
- How do you diagnose shingles?
- Could another medical condition be causing or contributing to my symptoms?
- How do you treat shingles?
- What should I do if my symptoms get worse?
- What treatment do you recommend? How long will it take to work and improve my symptoms?
- What are my options if my symptoms do not improve on this treatment?
- How long will my symptoms last?
- Can I get shingles again? Can I give shingles to others?
- Should I get the shingles vaccine? How long should I wait to get it?
- Could another medication help control my symptoms better?
- Are my new or different symptoms related to shingles?
- What is the best treatment plan for my shingles?