Osteoporosis Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- Please describe the symptoms and issues you’re having that led you to schedule this online appointment. Start at the beginning of this current episode and tell me how and when things have changed and progressed.
- How long ago were you diagnosed with osteoporosis?
- Are you taking any prescription medicine for your bone health?
- Have you had a follow-up bone density test since you've been diagnosed with osteoporosis?
- Do you smoke?
- Have you had any falls since you've been diagnosed with osteoporosis?
- Have you had any bone fractures since age 50?
- Do you have a parent who has had a hip fracture?
- Have you ever had a bone density test? If yes, do you remember what your T-score was?
- Do you regularly take a calcium and/or vitamin D supplement?
- Have you ever taken estrogen replacement therapy?
- Do you exercise regularly?
- What are the causes of osteoporosis? Do any of the medications I've taken increase my risk for osteoporosis?
- What medications are available to improve my bone health?
- What are the risks of doing nothing to address my bone health?
- Are there lifestyle changes I can make to improve my bone health, such as exercise or dietary changes?
- Are there specific activities or triggers I should avoid?
- What are the best osteoporosis treatment options for me?
- What is my risk for bone fracture?
- How will I know if my treatment plan is working well or if it needs to be changed?
- How often do I need to make appointments for follow-up? What are you looking for when I have follow-up appointments?
- Are there other medications that would do a better job of improving my bones?
- What should I expect with my specific case of osteoporosis? How at risk am I for bone fractures?