Osteoporosis Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- How long ago were you diagnosed with osteoporosis?
- Are you taking any prescription medicine for your bone health?
- Have you had a follow-up bone density test since you've been diagnosed with osteoporosis?
- Do you smoke?
- Have you had any falls since you've been diagnosed with osteoporosis?
- Have you had any bone fractures since age 50?
- Do you have a parent who has had a hip fracture?
- Have you ever had a bone density test? If yes, do you remember what your T-score was?
- Do you regularly take a calcium and/or vitamin D supplement?
- Have you ever taken estrogen replacement therapy?
- Do you exercise regularly?
- What are the causes of osteoporosis? Do any of the medications I've taken increase my risk for osteoporosis?
- What medications are available to improve my bone health?
- What are the risks of doing nothing to address my bone health?
- Are there lifestyle changes I can make to improve my bone health, such as exercise or dietary changes?
- Are there specific activities or triggers I should avoid?
- What are the best osteoporosis treatment options for me?
- What is my risk for bone fracture?
- How will I know if my treatment plan is working well or if it needs to be changed?
- How often do I need to make appointments for follow-up? What are you looking for when I have follow-up appointments?
- Are there other medications that would do a better job of improving my bones?
- What should I expect with my specific case of osteoporosis? How at risk am I for bone fractures?