Osteoporosis affects millions, but it can be treated successfully. Do you know all the facts about this common condition?
5 Things You Didn’t Know About Osteoporosis
1. Osteoporosis means “porous bone.”All bones have natural holes and spaces. With osteoporosis, bones weaken, losing density and mass, and those holes and spaces grow larger.
2. The risk of fragile bones increases with age.Almost 44 million Americans have osteoporosis or low bone mass. That’s more than half of all Americans 50 years and older.
3. Weakening bones affect more women than men.Women are 4x more likely than men to develop osteoporosis, potentially due to thinner bones and hormonal changes.
4. Menopause raises the risk of osteoporosis.Estrogen levels decrease during menopause, causing bone loss. About half of American women 50 and older will break a bone due to osteoporosis.
5. Osteoporosis treatment can prevent fractures.Treatment includes medications to prevent bone loss and preserve bone density, plus lifestyle changes like increasing calcium intake, doing weight-bearing exercises, and quitting smoking.
Turn to Healthgrades to connect with the right rheumatologist to find the best osteoporosis treatment for you.And share this video to help spread the word!