Dental Care for Diabetics Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- When was your last dose of diabetes medicine or insulin?
- Did you eat your normal meal before arriving?
- Have you checked your blood sugar recently? What was the result?
- Do you have your blood glucose monitor with you?
- What is your most recent A1c result?
- What medicines do you use to control your diabetes?
- How do you monitor your blood sugar? How often do you check it?
- How often do you experience episodes of low blood sugar? High blood sugar?
- When did you last see your doctor for your diabetes?
- Describe any oral health problems you are having. Do you have dry mouth, mouth sores, painful or bleeding gums?
- What new dental symptoms are you experiencing?
- How long have you had diabetes?
- Do you have any complications related to diabetes, such as eye problems, numbness, or problems with wound healing?
- What types of dental problems are more common in people with diabetes?
- How does my blood sugar control affect my oral health?
- Do I need to make any changes to my current dental care schedule?
- Is there an optimal time of day to make my dental care appointments?
- Do you have my doctor's contact information?
- Can the stress of a dental procedure affect my blood sugar control?
- Do any of the medicines you will use during the procedure affect my blood sugar, insulin, or diabetes medicines?
- Will diabetes affect my recovery time after the procedure?
- How will the procedure affect my ability to eat afterwards?
- What medicines will I need after the procedure and do they interact with my insulin or diabetes medicines?
- Could my diabetes be contributing to my new dental symptoms?
- How should I care for my mouth, teeth and gums?
- What exams, tests or procedures do I need for optimal dental care?