Kidney Disease Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- What symptoms are you currently experiencing?
- When was your last set of lab tests?
- Have you added, changed the dose, or stopped any medications?
- Have you had a comprehensive eye exam in the last year to look for diabetic eye changes?
- Have you had a bone density test?
- Describe your symptoms. Are you having fatigue, swelling in your feet or ankles, shortness of breath, muscle cramps, nausea, or vomiting? Have you noticed changes in how often you need to urinate?
- When did you first notice these symptoms?
- Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease?
- What medications do you take? What doses?
- Do you smoke or use e-cigarettes?
- Do you have a family history of kidney disease?
- What side effects are you having with your medications?
- What tests and treatments have you had so far?
- What causes kidney disease?
- Could another medical condition be causing or contributing to my symptoms?
- How do you diagnose kidney disease?
- What treatments are available for kidney disease? How effective are they?
- Are there diets or lifestyle changes that can promote kidney health?
- What stage is my kidney disease?
- What is the most likely cause of my kidney damage?
- What follow-up testing do I need and how often?
- How do you expect my kidney disease to progress? Will I eventually need dialysis?
- What diet and lifestyle changes can I make to slow or reverse my kidney damage?
- What are my treatment options and the risks and benefits of each?
- Are there medicines that would help my kidneys with fewer side effects?
- Do my new or different symptoms mean my kidney disease is getting worse?
- What is the best treatment plan for my kidney disease?