Hearing Loss Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- Please describe the symptoms and issues you’re having that led you to schedule this online appointment. Start at the beginning of this current episode and tell me how and when things have changed and progressed.
- What medications do you take, including prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines, and any previous cancer chemotherapy?
- Is your hearing loss interfering with daily activities and relationships?
- How would you rate your overall quality of life at this time?
- Are you willing to wear hearing aids?
- Describe your symptoms. Do you experience muffled sounds or difficulty understanding people, especially when there is a lot of background noise?
- When did you first notice problems with your hearing? Have others commented on your hearing or that you have the TV or music too loud?
- Have you regularly been around loud noise, such as at work or in combat?
- Do you have pain in your ears or hear ringing, buzzing or hissing sounds? Any previous ear infections or injuries?
- Do you have any problems with balance or dizziness?
- Did your symptoms start suddenly or gradually?
- What strategies have you tried so far to improve your hearing or communication? How much has this helped?
- What new symptoms or hearing problems are you having?
- What is most important to you in a hearing aid? Power or aesthetics?
- Do my symptoms mean I have hearing loss?
- Could another medical condition be causing or contributing to my hearing problems?
- Could any of my medications be contributing to my hearing problems?
- How do you diagnose hearing loss?
- What treatment options are available for hearing loss?
- Is my hearing loss permanent?
- How severe is my hearing loss?
- Are there strategies other than hearing aids I can use to improve my communication with others?
- Are there different types of hearing aids? Which do you recommend for me?
- Do my new or different symptoms mean my hearing loss is getting worse?
- How severe is my hearing loss? Am I a candidate for cochlear implants?
- When is cochlear implant surgery an option for hearing loss?