If you have dry eye, over-the-counter or prescription artificial tears can provide you with relief. Make sure you know the basics so you can choose the best option for you.
5 Things You Didn’t Know About Artificial Tears
1. Artificial tears are another term for eye drops used to add moisture to your eye's surface.
2. Artificial tears can relieve symptoms of dry eye disease, easing sensations like dryness, irritation, stinging, and burning.
3. In addition to lubricating your eyes, some types of artificial tears can heal eye damage and help your natural tears work better.
4. Artificial tears sometimes contain preservatives, which can irritate eyes. Preservative-free eye drops are best for people with moderate to severe dry eye.
5. If over-the-counter artificial tears aren't helping, your ophthalmologist may prescribe eye drops that provide greater relief, as well as other treatments.
Turn to Healthgrades to connect with the right ophthalmologist to diagnose and treat dry eye. And share this video to help spread the word!
2020Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. The content on Healthgrades does not provide medical advice. Always consult a medical provider for diagnosis and treatment. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.