Anxiety Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- Are you keeping a symptom diary to track your anxiety? Can we review it?
- How often have you noticed anxiety symptoms? More days than not?
- Do you find yourself avoiding situations due to your anxiety?
- How often do you drink alcohol or use recreational drugs?
- Are you feeling sad, depressed, disinterested in life, or worthless?
- Describe your symptoms. Do you experience nervousness, restlessness, sweating, trembling, shortness of breath, digestive problems, or sleep problems?
- When did you first notice your symptoms? Did a loved one bring any symptoms to your attention?
- Are your symptoms constant or do they come and go?
- Would you describe your symptoms as panic attacks?
- Does anything seem to trigger your symptoms?
- Do you have a family history of anxiety or other mental health problems?
- What side effects have you noticed with your medication?
- What is your main concern about your symptoms?
- What new symptoms are you experiencing?
- Do my symptoms mean I have an anxiety disorder?
- How do you diagnose anxiety disorders? What are the criteria?
- Could another condition be causing or contributing to my anxiety?
- How do you treat anxiety disorders?
- Do I need to see a psychiatrist, therapist or counselor?
- How long does it take for anti-anxiety medicines to start working?
- What are the side effects of anti-anxiety medicines?
- What is the next step if my current treatment doesn't help me?
- Who should I or my loved ones contact in an emergency?
- What programs can help me quit alcohol or drug use?
- What should I do if I forget to take my medicine?
- Are my new or different symptoms related to anxiety or something else?
- What is the best treatment plan for my anxiety?