Psychiatry  |
Dr. Terry Hagan, MD
Dr. Hagan graduated from St. Andrews Presbyterian College in 1975 and from University of Louisville Medical School in 1979. After an internship in general surgery at the Ochsner Foundation Hospital in New Orleans, he completed a residency in neurosurgery at U of L in 1985. For the next 16 years, Dr. Hagan practiced neurosurgery in the east end of Louisville with his main office at Baptist Hospital East. After making the decision to switch specialties, Dr. Hagan closed his neurosurgery practice early in 2002. In 2005 he completed a psychiatry residency training program at U of L Medical School, where he received an honor for psychodynamic psychotherapy. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, and has been practicing psychiatry in Louisville for the past 10 years. He is also a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) as certified by The National Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC).Dr. Hagan sees patients for the medication management of mental conditions and illness. Although psychiatrists do not typically do psychotherapy, it is important to take the time to get to know patients and what is going on in their lives, because stressors, issues and circumstances do affect the choice of medication, as well as what to expect from medication.

Hagan Health

4010 Dupont Cir Ste 226-A

Saint Matthews, KY 40207

• Value Options

Learn about Dr. Hagan

Dr. Hagan's Experience

Dr. Hagan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Psychiatry

• Psychiatry
    Accredited by: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology*

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Eating Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Mood Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Personality Disorders
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Schizophrenia
  • Tobacco Use Disorder

• ADHD Testing
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Medication Management
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychiatric Services
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Stress Management

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

• University of Louisville
    Medical School | Graduated 1979
  • Ocshner Med Fdn
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1980
  • University of Louisville
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985

Dr. Hagan has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Hagan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hagan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hagan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hagan to family and friends
3.0
Dr. Hagan's Performance
in Louisville, KY |
I have seen Dr. Hagan for 2 years now for depression & ADHD. I have only positive words for Dr. Hagan & his staff. They have always been kind, understanding, & helpful whenever I have needed anything. Dr. Hagan has always taken the time to understand my body's reaction to medications, & every time I've needed to adjust my medication/dosage he has been wonderful at figuring out the most effective combination(s). Bad reviews: Patients here are seeking mental health care. They're likely unstable.
Louisville, KY |
This guy is a complete jerk. He is so rude and unprofessional. I could not believe how he and his office manager spoke to me at my first, and only, visit. I was in shock (still am) and could not believe that someone who is supposed to help people could be so mean.
Louisville, KY |
Arrogant and has his Staff Do his job so he doesn't have to spend much time with his patients. I don't recommend.
Louisville, KY |
Not only was the appointment an hour late, the doctor was very lacking in personality and accusatory in the way he talked to me. He basically denied my depression and criticized me for other medications my PCP had prescribed. I was shocked.
Louisville, KY |
I am a female former patient. His "psychotherapy" techniques always made me feel like he was indulging his own curiosity about me as opposed to trying to help me. It felt rather dirty. Then he TRIPLED my medication dose overnight (I was too ill to question him and fairly desperate to feel better) and three days later I was in the the psych hospital, thinking I was dying (which had NEVER happened before). I have never been the same since and my new doctor says I never will be.
Louisville, KY |
Excellent doctor. Very warm and kind and extremely knowledgeable.
Butler, PA |
20 minutes. How do you know how to diagnose someone in 20 minutes. On my first visit he was already trying to change previous doctors diagnosis. Felt very rushed. Also felt he was rude. WI'll not be going back.
in Louisville, KY |
Everyone at the office has been very helpful and we have been treated very well. The last thing anyone needs when seeking help is indifference. I would recommend these professionals as I went there for the correct treatment and finally my son is doing much better. We tried 3 other professionals and they were a waste of time. Medical care in the United States is ranked 37th in the world. France is ranked 1st. Everyone deserves quality medical care.
Chicago, IL |
Terrible experience.Guy is a completely pompous,stay away does more harm than good.
Louisville, KY |
I cannot explain in enough words how AWESOME Dr. Hagan is! His staff is amazing and has always made me feel unbelievably comfortable. As some have said, I'm not sure what the individuals experienced that scored him low but I have never experienced anything negative. His nurse is AMAZING and such a great listener. For the first time in FOREVER I have finally found a doctor that truly wants to help me understand what is going on with me and how we can work together to manage my diagnosis!
Atlanta, GA |
This doctor presents angry and bothered to even be practicing. I would not recommend him at all.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr Hagen is fine in general. He accepts insurance, being one of the few psychiatrists in Louisville that does. However, I would not choose to go to this office if he didn't. It's very difficult to get an appointment. The staff never answer the phone, you must leave a message and get a call back maybe two days later, inevitably you'll be playing phone tag for a week and they are pretty rude. One time I had a question for Dr. Hagen and the staff refused to ask him.
in Oviedo, FL |
I have had a positive experience over the last 2 years. His office is friendly and helpful as well.
in Louisville, KY |
I've never met a person who naturally understands what my daily struggle is with ADHD like he did. It was a breath of fresh air feeling like I wasn't just reiterating what he's read in a textbook, he actually knows.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. Hagan has been a very positive experience for me and I am unsure of why the low or average scores. He's polite, gives options, and is not condescending. I am unsure of what others expect in their doctors yet they also could just be pill heads.
in Louisville, KY |
I saw Dr. Hagan for the first time today. I had read so many negative reviews of this office staff and him. I found nothing negative about the visit. He's honest and explained why he wanted to have more time to know me. He's very anxious to have all he needs for a proper assessment. He wants to do the best job he can for a patient. The nurse you talk to before your initial meeting with him is just wonderful!
in Louisville, KY |
Staff shows limited confidentiality (openly discussing patient names and diagnosis/reason for visit, whether or not they are on probation, etc) and at one point barged into his office while I was meeting with him. Dr. Hagan is cold and impatient, unapproachable, rushes through appointments and appears annoyed with questions. Will not be returning.
Have you seen Dr. Terry Hagan, MD?
Are you Dr. Hagan?