Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Adolescent PsychologyMaleAge 70

Adolescent Psychology

Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD is a Adolescent Psychologist in Mountainside, NJ. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Child & Teen Success Center, Mountainside, NJ

615 Sherwood Pkwy Mountainside, NJ 07092 ()
Telehealth services available

Telehealth available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Adolescent Psychologists in your area

"I specialize in treating behavioral problems of childhood and adolescence. Attention Deficit Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, BiPolar Disorder and School Underachievement are my subspecialties. So..."

- Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Pediatric Counseling
  • Psychotherapy Services

Dr. Sussman accepts

Dr. Sussman accepts the following insurance:

Select

Dr. Sussman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sussman

Dr. Sussman

Great Help!
Sessions are not the average.... very engaging and entertaining for everyone. It has helped my child a lot..
Doreen – Apr 26, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr Steve is a very kind, understanding and knowledgeable psychologist. His way of therapy, though unique, provides results. My child after working with Dr Steve for about a year shows more respect towards authority and is more responsible. Dr Steve is always available if a situation needs immediate attention. I am very grateful for our experience with Dr Steve. KR . Somerville NJ
Mar 28, 2022
God Sent
The 5 star experience started even before the therapy. Dr. Sussman not only was easily accessible via phone, texts or email and very prompt with his responses (even if that meant he is on vacation) he went above and beyond by writing a latter to my sons principal and vice principal endorsing my son (who had recently gotten into trouble at school more than few occasions and was on very slippery grounds) and explained the ADHD condition in very clear and easy to understand. The assurance that he gave to the school leadership has not only eased my anxiety and bought some extra time to allow my son a chance to complete the therapy,it has also built my trust in Dr.Sussman that is very hard to come by nowadays.Typical experience with doctors now-days has become very transactional lacking empathy.But Dr.Sussman he genuinely cares for your child like one of his own.He is very easy to talk to and knows how to break the ice with his goofy jokes.And all of this even before the treatment began.
Shankar – Mar 14, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My son was diagnosed with ADHD. He struggled with concentration, was hyperactive, disorganized and unfocused. Dr. Sussman helped my son improve his concentration and disorganization by providing behavior modification therapy. Dr. Sussman's therapy is unique in the sense that it involves both the child and the parent. His sessions are interesting and effective because it allows the parent to introduce the issue and Dr. Sussman provides feedback to both the child and the parent that helps make the necessary behavior adjustments. Dr. Sussman is sensitive to the needs of the child and makes his therapy session feel like a common day of learning instead of a day at a clinic. My child's teachers have provided positive comments on his improvement in class participation, testing and class focus. I think Dr. Sussman behavior therapy is good and I will continue taking my son to his sessions.
Alberto G. – Feb 18, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman has a unique approach to therapy that really speaks to kids of all ages. Traditional talk therapy can be hard for kids to translate back into the real world. Dr. Steve's unique game-show approach, where kids/teens speak to their accountabilities in front of one another, just works! They get to hear, from other parents and kids who are struggling to succeed behaviorally, what it "sounds like" when a peer acts in a less than positive way. Something about hearing other peers describe what they are doing and how it is impacting their family life, causes to kids to look internally at their own behavior, and over-time make the incremental improvements that they've struggle to make. Works way better than the white noise of parental pleas for change. While Dr. Steve's humor is unique, the kids just get it and the approach has made a bigger difference in behavior than anything else we have tried. Give Dr. Steve a few months in group - you'll feel the same.
Happy Parent – Dec 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My DS participated in a group session with Dr. Steve. He uses a unique approach that gets the results. The sessions are helpful in such, my DS not only addresses his issues but also learns from others in the group. Highly recommend Dr Steve
Dec 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve (as the kids refer to him) utilizes a unique approach to his practice. He reinforces cause and effect, risk and consequence, and modeling of positive behavior for incorporation into my son's daily real-life activities. He rewards the kids for their positive behaviors and achievements in a manner that is unique to any clinical behavioral health practice. His group is very diverse and no-one is made to feel excluded. After his first session, you will "get the hang" of his systemic approach. He's always just a phone call away if needed and is very practical, candid, and objective with his recommendations and advice. Highly recommend.
JR's Mom – Nov 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman's unorthodox aproach keep both kids and parents engaged. The group sessions allow for shared experiences, so that kids can learn from each other and feel confortable in the knowledge that they are not the only ones sruggling with similar challenges. My son took to the rating system after a few sessions and now activelly tries to get high scores during the week.
CR – Oct 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve has helped our family greatly. He uses unconventional methods, but he makes the children and young adults accountable for their actions. This has helped my son to stop and think before he reacts. He is also always available to discuss issues and offer suggestions. I would recommend Dr. Steve to any family searching for ways to help their child.
Oct 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Exceptional a constant in my life for very many, many, years up until this very moment in time for me and my grown children.
Josephine Garcia – Oct 24, 2021
Dear Joy, It has been a true "JOY" working with...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve helped us so much with our son. Our son was very stubborn, would sometimes hit, throw things, and get into a rage of anger. Dr. Steve has an interesting sense of humor and style of therapy but it worked well for us. We found the reward system to motivate our son to want to do better and be the highest scorer in the group. Most of Dr. Steve's jokes went over our son's head, but they kept us parents entertained! Would highly recommend Dr. Steve to anyone whose child is struggling behaviorally.
J.C. – Sep 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My daughter has seen rapid results with Dr. Sussman's method of treatment. She was struggling with schoolwork and personal responsibility. Homework is no longer a fight and her self-esteem has improved. Dr. Sussman really cares about the kids and provides immediate feedback. He always has time to help. I'm thrilled that my daughter has developed skills to help her be a successful tween!
LD – Sep 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
we started with dr. steven in February 2021 to pres. since we started my daughter is coming along slowly she got better we had some ups and downs with my daughter for the first couple of weeks going to dr.Steven was the best think i did for my daughter. Thank you Dr.Stevens
Mrs. De Oliveira – Jul 22, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman is excellent! He is great at what he does. He is full of creative and fun ways to overcome challenges. Not only is he an expert on being a Psychologist, he connects with your child and helps them to develop self-confidence. I have been extremely pleased with my 10-years-old son's progress. I have watched my son become more confident in his daily life and at school. Not only has he helped my child, he has helped me become a better parent. The best feedback for Dr. Sussman was when I asked my 10-years-old son about his experience with Dr. Sussman, he simply responded by saying he enjoyed the session and loved his jokes! (Even if he didn't understand them). We are thankful and privileged to have Dr. Sussman in our lives.
L. A Springfield NJ – Jul 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman has cracked the code to kids therapy. He has figured out a way for kids to WANT to do better and hold themselves accountable at the same time. He keeps it fun and we happily look forward to our sessions as a family. We have seen great improvement. Highly recommended!
C. C. Clark, NJ – Jul 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr Steve knows kids! He understands the behavioral issues and using a technique that both engages and teaches! Warm, friendly, and always available!!
Jun 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman takes the time to thoroughly explain his methodology to parents to make sure they understand it.
May 14, 2021
Thank you for the great rating. Also thank you...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman's approach to therapy is as effective as it is unique and entertaining. Dr. Steve engages his patients in a lighthearted manner and gets results. His is not a rigid procedural approach to therapy and he holds his patient's accountable for their actions. I rate him and his methods 10/10.
May 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
If you want a professional to do the job that you couldn't do, that is, tell your teenager to respect you, work harder, and focus on life, then go to Dr. Sussman. He has a unique approach to teach the kids discipline and behavior and your kid will be willing to talk at these sessions. It worked for my son.
QW – Apr 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Our child has been seeing Dr. Steve for about 7 months in his group sessions for anger management and impulsivity issues. When we joined, we were unsure if this would work. But we have already seen a great improvement in our child and we have now been decreased to 1 session/ 2 weeks. Dr. Steve's method seems to positively impact the children. Not only that, his jovial nature and his jokes are amusing, to say the least. Our child says - "Dr. Steve cracks me up!" We would highly recommend his services.
AK – Feb 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Sussman?