Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Dr. Sussman
Telehealth services available

Child & Teen Success Center, Mountainside, NJ

615 Sherwood Pkwy Mountainside, NJ 07092

Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD is a Adolescent Psychologist in Mountainside, NJ. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Sussman to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Adolescent Psychologists in your area

Review Highlight

"We all know that our children are special and unique. Therefore, it would make sense for us to find a therapist for our child who has the same qualities...."

- Sharon in Staten Island, NYSee more reviews

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Pediatric Counseling
  • Psychotherapy Services

Dr. Sussman accepts

Dr. Sussman accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard Basic) PPO
Basic PPO

Dr. Sussman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sussman

Dr. Sussman?
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (80)
  • Listened & answered questions (79)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (77)
  • Office environment (4)
  • Appointment was rushed (3)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (3)
Dr. Sussman's approach to therapy is as effective as it is unique and entertaining. Dr. Steve engages his patients in a lighthearted manner and gets results. His is not a rigid procedural approach to therapy and he holds his patient's accountable for their actions. I rate him and his methods 10/10.
May 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
If you want a professional to do the job that you couldn't do, that is, tell your teenager to respect you, work harder, and focus on life, then go to Dr. Sussman. He has a unique approach to teach the kids discipline and behavior and your kid will be willing to talk at these sessions. It worked for my son.
QW – Apr 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Our child has been seeing Dr. Steve for about 7 months in his group sessions for anger management and impulsivity issues. When we joined, we were unsure if this would work. But we have already seen a great improvement in our child and we have now been decreased to 1 session/ 2 weeks. Dr. Steve's method seems to positively impact the children. Not only that, his jovial nature and his jokes are amusing, to say the least. Our child says - "Dr. Steve cracks me up!" We would highly recommend his services.
AK – Feb 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Our family has been working with Dr. Steve for a year now. He provides a unique platform where children are held accountable for the behaviors/choices weekly. He sets a relaxed tone, where kids partake in a gameshow like segment. High scores (good behaviors) get them prizes and incentives for continued good behavior. This allows kids to plan/ have a positive outlook for the next week. Dr. Sussman is always available to talk when you need him, he has helped us tremendously on our journey with dealing with ADHD/ADD with our child. I'm grateful for his service!
Michelle K. – Feb 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman had a way of getting through to my son by using a game show approach to his group therapy. This provided a relaxed environment where my son didn’t feel like he was in”therapy” all while he got to reap the benefits of having therapy with Dr. Sussman. After a few sessions we saw a change in my son for the better. Dr. Sussman is always available and very hands on. He returns phone calls and e-mails quickly. He always was approachable and keeps things light with his jokes. Which laughter is the best medicine! I would definitely recommend Dr. Sussman!
Maria D. – Jan 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr Steve approach towards behavioral therapy is a refreshing change in the era were everything is anyways unnecessarily complicated. He meets the kids where they belong - in the space of fun, games, rewards and living the present. The session is like a game show where parents and kids get to rate their week gone by, it may take a couple of weeks to get a hang of it, but in just few weeks my 9 yr old son was able to recognize which behavior will fetch him low scores for him and genuinely tried to correct them. A group therapy also help the kids (and parents) recognize that they are not the only one struggling and get to celebrate the progress of others as much as they celebrate theirs. I joined the session with healthy skepticism as Dr. Steve’s approach is not traditional. But now I truly feel his approach to deal with kids is way better than anything I have seen/ heard. And the non political jokes - you really need to have very thin skin to mind any of that. ??
Shradha Prakash – Jan 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve has an unconventional, politically incorrect approach with his group sessions. Hey uses humor and a gameshow like reward system to get reluctant children to listen to his advice, self examine their choices/behavior and gets them to see this from their parents perspective. It works! My son had been hospitalized for anxiety/depression, was argumentative, doing poorly in school and basically not talking to us. We had one session with another psychologist that did not go well. On the car ride home after our first session with Dr. Steve, my son and I had a conversation about the group, Dr. Steve's jokes and other non-related things. It was the first time we actually spoke to each other in months. My son's behavior has improved immensely since then (almost a year ago). He is back on track with school and getting back to things he was once interested in. Dr. Steve always returns phone calls, will offer candid advice to parents and has been a BIG part of our son's progress.
Robert – Dec 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Terrific Dr. who will call you right back! Gets teens and connects with them! Has a fun unorthodox method that teens enjoy. I would recommend him if you have a teen who may need attention in school, socially, or at home! A+ Dr!
Oct 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve was a great help for us with our teenager. My son responded very well to Dr. Steve's humor and jokes as well as his feedback during sessions. I liked that it was a group of kids and they all shared similar and different stories; and they were able to share their ups and downs. Dr. Steve encouraged parents to talk as well and provide insights when giving their children ratings for the week. The humor is not for everybody, but it definitely connected with my son and it made the situation a bit lighter and put things in perspective. I would recommend Dr. Steve to other families that may be having a hard time with their childrens' behavior. Thank you Dr. Steve!
MR – Aug 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr Steve is the best. He is a bit unconventional but his methods work once you stick with it. He has the best interests of the kids a heart and you can call him outside of the group sessions if you have any issues. I am glad i found this group for my son.
Aug 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We loved Dr. Seussman! I was lucky enough to find him via web search. Once we went to Children's specialized the neurologist there highly recommended him and I said "I found him by chance." His practice is different, but was a huge success for my 5 year old son that was struggling with behavior and listening in and out of school.
Very Happy! – Jun 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman has been seeing my child for his ADHD/developmental delay disorder challenges which interferes with my child's academic studies for several months now. He is very unique and hands on with the kids. He gives the kids a lot of motivation and encouragement to work through their daily challenges whether it's behaviors in school or at home. He motivates the kids to be better and take accountability for their actions. Their good efforts are rewarded with a range of prizes for something the kids will always look forward to. I would totally recommend families to seek Dr. Sussman's expertise to help your child overcome the many obstacles they are faced with in their daily lives.
Ashleigh Nicole – Jun 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman conducts group sessions where behavioral issues of members are dealt with openly. During the session he provides incentives and positive reinforcement of positive behaviors while discussing and discouraging unwanted behaviors in a friendly manner putting emphasis on humor. These meetings can initiate a somewhat relaxed conversation between parents and children about responsibility, respect, communication and self control, and "force" the family to have weekly internal discussions and face problems before they become overwhelming. These meeting also help both parents and children by providing a broader perspective of how good or bad certain situations really are. Dr. Steve uses humor as an alternative to "preaching" - kids and parents must know how to take a joke for this method to work for them - He often makes remarks on trivial (and irrelevant) things so when he starts making "funny" remarks on behavioral problems they are not out of place - I find it very effective.
NJ parent – May 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman is great and has a unique group approach with the kids. He is very supportive and reinforces important things with the children such as being respectful and school work. He has a unique approach if you can't take a joke don't come. He is effective and unique and I am happy with him.
Maria L – Apr 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My Child has been seeing Dr. Sussman for a few months now he loves him. His methods and how he reaches the kids are different and they work. The kids learn from each others mistakes as well as from Dr. Sussman. I would recommend you take your child to him no matter how complex your child may be Dr. Sussmans is awesome!
Wilson family – Mar 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We all know that our children are special and unique. Therefore, it would make sense for us to find a therapist for our child who has the same qualities. Well, look no further. Dr. Steven Sussman (Dr. Steve) is that person. My son presented with quite a complex array of psychological/psychiatric diagnoses. Clinically, an extremely challenging case for any therapist. Fortunately, Dr. Steve is not just any therapist. His unique therapeutic approach in addressing his young clients/patients issues, has proven to be very successful. He provides a friendly, fun, non threatening atmosphere for the participants (child and parent alike). By engaging everyone in the treatment process, no one feels self conscious about their own individual difficulties. By allowing a very free flowing dialogue between himself and the kids, there is no feeling of embarrassment or judgement. My son enjoyed going to therapy (at least most of th time),and today, as a young adult, remembers Dr. Steve very fondly.
Sharon in Staten Island, NY – Feb 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve I would say he is very unconventional, but it is this quirkiness that really appeals to the children. We spent several sessions with our son, who I am happy to say responded very well to his group sessions and has been proactively utilizing Dr. Steve's rating system approach to help monitor his own successes. Very helpful and my wife and I would highly recommend taking the time to visit.
Paul B. – Feb 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Great deal of respect for Dr. Sussman. He is engaging, direct and creative in his approach. He shows a genuine interest and has great insight into navigating various therapies and resources on how to support and parent a child with ADHD. We’ve become more sensitive on how our child benefits from specific strategies.
LO – Jan 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steven Sussman has been a great inspiration to my son (12 years old). He runs his sessions like a game show, which makes it enjoyable and comfortable for the children. The jokes that he tells help the children loosen up so that they can freely discuss their challenges. My son states in his own words, “It’s good to hear that I’m not the only kid with challenges.” The children are so friendly that my son has made a few friends. My son has made significant improvements. Thanks, Dr. Sussman.
Sharene Walker – Jan 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
This unique experience by Dr. Sussman really brought my son's introverted personality into his own perspective. He saw peers that were there for similar circumstances and really helped him to see that it is not only him. He witnessed first hand how Dr. Sussman was able to build the children and allow the peers to help. The system of rewards was great also.
Dec 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Sussman?

I specialize in treating behavioral problems of childhood and adolescence. Attention Deficit Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome,...Read more

OPEN! VIDEO CONFERENCING!! FINANCIAL ISSUES?  I WILL TRY TO WORK OUT A DOABLE FEE.   WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  I AM A PARTICIPATING...Read more

• Adolescent Psychology