Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology  ·
Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD is a clinical child & adolescent psychologist in Mountainside, NJ and has been practicing for 39 years. He graduated from Long Island University / Brooklyn Campus in 1979 and specializes in clinical child & adolescent psychology and clinical psychology.Read his story

615 Sherwood Pkwy

Mountainside, NJ 07092

• Beacon Health Strategies
  • EmblemHealth
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Learn about Dr. Sussman

Dr. Sussman's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Sussman "I AM DR. STEVEN SUSSMAN. I AM A LICENSED CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST AND HAVE BEEN IN PRACTICE FOR OVER 30 YEARS. IN 1997, I FOUND MY TRUE PASSION. I BEGAN SPECIALIZING EXCLUSIVELY WITH CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS WHO ARE HAVING BEHAVIORAL AND ACADEMIC PROBLEMS. WHEN I REALIZED MANY OF THESE CHILDREN DO NOT REPOND TO TRADITIONAL TALK THERAPY, I CREATED MY OWN CHILD-FRIENDLY TECHNIQUES. I HAVE TAUGHT THESE TECHNIQUES TO HUNDREDS OF PROFESSIONALS ACROSS THE COUNTRY. THERE IS NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT IN LIFE THAN RAISING A HAPPY HEALTHY CHILD. I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR OVER 35 YEARS TO MY WIFE, LAURA, WHO IS ALSO A PSYCHOTHERAPIST. WE ARE BLESSED WITH TWO WONDERFUL ADULT CHILDREN WHO, THANKFULLY, ARE DOING WELL IN LIFE . BOTH HAVE ALSO ENTERED THE HELPING PROFESSIONS. MATERIAL SUCCESS, CLASS STATUS, AND WEALTH DO NOT COMPARE TO THE MEANINGFULNESS AND FULFILLMENT ONE RECEIVES FROM RAISING CHILDREN. IF THE CHILDREN ARE WELL ADJUSTED AND REALIZING THEIR POTENTIAL, IT IS AN ADDED JOY. IF NOT, IT IS BITTERSWEET FOR A PARENT TO LOVE THEIR CHILD BUT KNOW THEIR CHILD IS UNHAPPY AND NOT MEETING WITH SUCCESS. I KNOW HOW IMPORTANT YOUR CHILD'S WELL BEING IS TO YOU. YOU WOULD NOT BE ON THIS WEBSITE IF THAT WERE NOT TRUE. MY YEARS OF PRACTICE HAVE TAUGHT ME HOW HARD AND HURTFUL IT IS FOR PARENTS IF THEIR CHILDREN ARE NOT THRIVING. WHEN A PARENT BRINGS THEIR CHILD TO ME THEY ARE ENTRUSTING ME WITH THE WELFARE OF THEIR MOST PRECIOUS ASSET….THEIR CHILD! I FEEL A TREMENDOUS OBLIGATION TO HELP THAT CHILD AND FAMILY. IF YOU CHOOSE TO WORK WITH ME I PROMISE I WILL DO MY VERY BEST TO HELP YOUR CHILD MAKE THE MOST OF THEIR ABILITIES AND TO REACH THEIR INTELLECTUAL AND EMOTIONAL POTENTIAL. KNOW THAT I AM ALWAYS AVAILABLE BY PHONE, EMAIL, AND TEXT EVERYDAY INCLUDING EVENINGS, WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS. THANK YOU FOR CONSIDERING ME."

This content was provided by Dr. Sussman "I specialize in treating behavioral problems of childhood and adolescence. Attention Deficit Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, BiPolar Disorder and School Underachievement are my subspecialties. Social skills, parenting issues, autistic spectrum disorders and sibling rivalry are additional areas of focus. I also specialize in treating children who have had past treatment failures. Many of my clients have been in therapies where the therapist and parent did most of the talking and failed to engage the child. Lastly, with parental permission I consult with the child's school to assure the child's interests are being best served.Using child-friendly cognitive behavioral therapy, I teach young clients the skills and strategies needed to overcome their difficulties and succeed. This improves their self-control which leads to improved self-esteem. I believe the child must enjoy coming to therapy in order for it to be successful."

• Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology
  • Clinical Psychology

Dr. Sussman does not have any board certifications listed.

• ADHD Testing
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Pediatric Counseling
  • Psychotherapy Services

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Brooklyn College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1973
  • Queens Childrens Psychiatric Center Bellerose Ny
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1977
  • Long Island University / Brooklyn Campus
    Medical School | Graduated 1979

Dr. Sussman has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Sussman has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Sussman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sussman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sussman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sussman

4.838709677419355%
4.838709677419355%

Dr. Sussman?
Dr. Sussman's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD
I Have tried one to one therapy with my son with no success. Dr Steve has a unique way to grab their attention, and my son loves it. It gives him the chance to socialize with other kids, My son most of the time repeats how he wants to be a no timer, so i don't have to repeat myself a thousand...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve Sussman is great! My 6 y/o struggles with adhd accompanied by a sensory processing disorder. He will act out and not understand why he acts out. Dr. Steve has helped him in so many ways aside from just therapy Dr. Steve makes himself available whenever you need him to. He has worked with...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We enjoyed coming to see Dr. Sussman. At first I thought will it work for my child and as we continued to go he actually enjoyed it and he did his best to earn his points. My son truly enjoyed it.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We appreciate Dr Steve's unique approach and perspective on group therapy for children. Each therapy session is fast moving and lively which keeps my 9 year old son engaged for a full hour. An added benefit is that my son thinks he is meeting up with a group of friends each week - he never feels...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve has a more-unique approach to helping your child and it really seems to appeal to the kids and that’s what really counts!! Thanks, Dr. Steve!!
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Sussman?