Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Adolescent Psychology ·  Male · Age 68

Dr. Sussman

Child & Teen Success Center, Mountainside, NJ

615 Sherwood Pkwy Mountainside, NJ 07092

Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD is an adolescent psychologist in Mountainside, NJ and has been practicing for 40 years. He graduated from Long Island University / Brooklyn Campus in 1979 and specializes in adolescent psychology and clinical psychology.

Dr. Sussman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sussman

Dr. Sussman?
Dr. Sussman's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD
Very unorthodox (and Dr Steve will tell you so) but it works. After trying years of one on one counseling with no results the power of group therapy was amazing. At first I wasn’t sure as my son only spoke for a few minutes but then realized the power is in hearing other kids issues...overall I’m a big fan and would tell anyone trying Dr Steve to make sure you give it a few weeks as it does work
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman helped my child immensely. His technique is unorthodox, group therapy in the form of a game show where the kids win small prizes for points accumulated; but it works. Dr. Steve uses humor that may not be for the politically correct, unfunny or uptight parents of the world, but for the rest of us, he’s funny. The kids are encouraged to participate; parents speak very little, which is good. It’s behavioral therapy, it doesn’t even seem like a therapy session but Dr. Steve has a way about him that helps the kids help themselves and helps them figure out how to successfully navigate life. I wish I could give him 6 stars!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Really engages the kids and helps them understand themselves - have seen tangible improvements in behavior of our son
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Mom-Clark, NJ I have a 7 1/2 year old son who I just recently brought to Dr. Sussman's group therapy. I wrote a review last week and mistakenly it showed that I gave him a 2 star rating. That's incorrect. I would give this doctor a 5 star. He connects with each child individually but also makes it a learning experience for everyone in the group. This type of therapy works for my son and only have been to 1 group session so far, Dr. Sussman is who he looks forward to seeing each week.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve has helped my 9 year old son with not only ADHD but also with depression! Having such a unique group setting helps the kids see they are not alone! By sharing our “scores” experiences the kids see and learn that we all have difficulties yet we all strive to improve each week! It’s a positive reinforcement on behavior and acceptance! I learned so much myself with the reading about ADHD on his website! It clarifies a lot of questions on a easy to read article! Thank you Dr. Steve!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
I Have tried one to one therapy with my son with no success. Dr Steve has a unique way to grab their attention, and my son loves it. It gives him the chance to socialize with other kids, My son most of the time repeats how he wants to be a no timer, so i don't have to repeat myself a thousand times. Dr. Steve makes sure all the kids are engaged. I was about to lose hope, and I gave Dr Steve a try. My son is doing so much better now. And Anytime you reach him he always answers you right back.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve Sussman is great! My 6 y/o struggles with adhd accompanied by a sensory processing disorder. He will act out and not understand why he acts out. Dr. Steve has helped him in so many ways aside from just therapy Dr. Steve makes himself available whenever you need him to. He has worked with my son’s other doctors to help come up with appropriate medicine dosage and regular therapy sessions. Thank you Dr. Steve we look forward to working with you for years to come.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We enjoyed coming to see Dr. Sussman. At first I thought will it work for my child and as we continued to go he actually enjoyed it and he did his best to earn his points. My son truly enjoyed it.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We appreciate Dr Steve's unique approach and perspective on group therapy for children. Each therapy session is fast moving and lively which keeps my 9 year old son engaged for a full hour. An added benefit is that my son thinks he is meeting up with a group of friends each week - he never feels awkward or singled out because he "needs" therapy. A must try!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve has a more-unique approach to helping your child and it really seems to appeal to the kids and that’s what really counts!! Thanks, Dr. Steve!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman is amazing with kids. He is very funny and makes the kids feel at ease. Very effective ate of therapy
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
I discovered Dr. Sussman after searching for quite awhile for a therapist for my 14 year old son. I read reviews and was pleased that he accepted my insurance. I also saw that he was well able to help my son work through his anger issues and his acts of disobedience. Since we have been going to Dr. Sussman, my son has improved tremendously! He is more respectful and realizes what he did wrong and what he needs to work on. This is all due to Dr. Sussman and his caring and understanding ways!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve has really helped my 10 year old son. He has problems with impulse control and anxiety, and was struggling in school. We noticed an improvement within the first month, and after 6 months he is a changed kid, at home and school. Dr. Steve is caring and really understands how kids work, and having the parents involved in the group is essential. He tries to keep the pressure off and makes the environment fun and positive while working through each kids issues. My son loves going to group.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
The group setting was perfect for my previously defiant and aggressive 5-year-old son, who thrived on the positive peer pressure, outside authority and rewards for good behavior. I had tried cognitive behavioral therapy, rewards charts, being strict, being lenient and nothing worked like Dr. Sussman's sessions to encourage good behavior. It's such a relief knowing I have a resource to return to if things go south again.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
I am happy to leave this review for those searching for a personable, professional and clinically savvy human. I have had only positive experiences reported by my referrals to him. He has my respect and appreciation for his ability to make a significant difference in the lives of children and their families.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman facilitates an unusual group for adolescents with relational and behavioral issues. He runs it like the host of a game show and kids are engaged and motivated by winning money and prizes. My son attended for a year and successfully modified his behaviors. Dr. Sussman was supportive, helpful and encouraging during and in betw sessions. I highly recommend this group over traditional therapy groups.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My son has tried one to one therapy with no success. Dr Steve runs his session like a game show and my son loves it. It gives him the chance to see other kids struggle too, it’s not just him. My son has noticed what the other kid did to make it better and has said, maybe I should try that. Usually he’s in his own world but Dr Steve makes sure all the kids are engaged. If you think you’ve tried it all and about to lose hope give Dr Steve a try. My son is doing so much better now.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman is wonderful. He makes the sessions fun for both the kids and the parents with his game show antics. He let's the kids know it's ok to make mistakes, nobody's perfect. He helps them learn through praise and rewards. The group sessions are great because it shows the kids they are not the only ones struggling with some of the same problems. At the end of the day Dr. Sussman makes these kids feel good about themselves.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My child is a new person after been treated by Dr Sussman’. My child’s goals were met within a year and he loved to attend to Dr Sussman sessions. He is very professional and respectful. I highly recommend him for any children or teenager with behavioral issues.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
With the charm of a wacky gameshow host, complete with bad puns and infectious humor, Dr. Steve manages to bring out the best of his clients. The children are treated to smiles and laughter while learning about their emotions as well as it being ok to make mistakes. My child enjoys his sessions with Dr.Steve, he’s done a 180 in behavior and is always striving to do his best. Dr.Steve sets ppl at ease, is very friendly and always offers a willing ear. An absolute pleasure to work with him.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Sussman?

I specialize in treating behavioral problems of childhood and adolescence. Attention Deficit Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, BiPolar Disorder and School Underachievement are my subspecialties. Social skills, parenting is...

• Adolescent Psychology

1979
1977
1973

Dr. Sussman accepts

Dr. Sussman accepts the following insurance:

Beacon Health Strategies

• ADHD Testing
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services