Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Dr. Sussman
Telehealth services available

Child & Teen Success Center, Mountainside, NJ

615 Sherwood Pkwy Mountainside, NJ 07092

Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD is a Adolescent Psychologist in Mountainside, NJ. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Sussman to book an appointment.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Psychologists in your area

See similar Psychologists in Mountainside

• Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

Dr. Sussman accepts

Dr. Sussman accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard Basic) PPO

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Pediatric Counseling
  • Psychotherapy Services

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD...

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Offer an online patient portal?

Have free onsite parking?

Offer evening visits?

Offer weekend visits?

Dr. Sussman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sussman

Dr. Sussman?
What People Say About Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD
We loved Dr. Seussman! I was lucky enough to find him via web search. Once we went to Children's specialized the neurologist there highly recommended him and I said "I found him by chance." His practice is different, but was a huge success for my 5 year old son that was struggling with behavior and listening in and out of school.
Very Happy! – Jun 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman has been seeing my child for his ADHD/developmental delay disorder challenges which interferes with my child's academic studies for several months now. He is very unique and hands on with the kids. He gives the kids a lot of motivation and encouragement to work through their daily challenges whether it's behaviors in school or at home. He motivates the kids to be better and take accountability for their actions. Their good efforts are rewarded with a range of prizes for something the kids will always look forward to. I would totally recommend families to seek Dr. Sussman's expertise to help your child overcome the many obstacles they are faced with in their daily lives.
Ashleigh Nicole – Jun 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman conducts group sessions where behavioral issues of members are dealt with openly. During the session he provides incentives and positive reinforcement of positive behaviors while discussing and discouraging unwanted behaviors in a friendly manner putting emphasis on humor. These meetings can initiate a somewhat relaxed conversation between parents and children about responsibility, respect, communication and self control, and "force" the family to have weekly internal discussions and face problems before they become overwhelming. These meeting also help both parents and children by providing a broader perspective of how good or bad certain situations really are. Dr. Steve uses humor as an alternative to "preaching" - kids and parents must know how to take a joke for this method to work for them - He often makes remarks on trivial (and irrelevant) things so when he starts making "funny" remarks on behavioral problems they are not out of place - I find it very effective.
NJ parent – May 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman is great and has a unique group approach with the kids. He is very supportive and reinforces important things with the children such as being respectful and school work. He has a unique approach if you can't take a joke don't come. He is effective and unique and I am happy with him.
Maria L – Apr 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My Child has been seeing Dr. Sussman for a few months now he loves him. His methods and how he reaches the kids are different and they work. The kids learn from each others mistakes as well as from Dr. Sussman. I would recommend you take your child to him no matter how complex your child may be Dr. Sussmans is awesome!
Wilson family – Mar 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We all know that our children are special and unique. Therefore, it would make sense for us to find a therapist for our child who has the same qualities. Well, look no further. Dr. Steven Sussman (Dr. Steve) is that person. My son presented with quite a complex array of psychological/psychiatric diagnoses. Clinically, an extremely challenging case for any therapist. Fortunately, Dr. Steve is not just any therapist. His unique therapeutic approach in addressing his young clients/patients issues, has proven to be very successful. He provides a friendly, fun, non threatening atmosphere for the participants (child and parent alike). By engaging everyone in the treatment process, no one feels self conscious about their own individual difficulties. By allowing a very free flowing dialogue between himself and the kids, there is no feeling of embarrassment or judgement. My son enjoyed going to therapy (at least most of th time),and today, as a young adult, remembers Dr. Steve very fondly.
Sharon in Staten Island, NY – Feb 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve I would say he is very unconventional, but it is this quirkiness that really appeals to the children. We spent several sessions with our son, who I am happy to say responded very well to his group sessions and has been proactively utilizing Dr. Steve's rating system approach to help monitor his own successes. Very helpful and my wife and I would highly recommend taking the time to visit.
Paul B. – Feb 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Great deal of respect for Dr. Sussman. He is engaging, direct and creative in his approach. He shows a genuine interest and has great insight into navigating various therapies and resources on how to support and parent a child with ADHD. We’ve become more sensitive on how our child benefits from specific strategies.
LO – Jan 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steven Sussman has been a great inspiration to my son (12 years old). He runs his sessions like a game show, which makes it enjoyable and comfortable for the children. The jokes that he tells help the children loosen up so that they can freely discuss their challenges. My son states in his own words, “It’s good to hear that I’m not the only kid with challenges.” The children are so friendly that my son has made a few friends. My son has made significant improvements. Thanks, Dr. Sussman.
Sharene Walker – Jan 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
This unique experience by Dr. Sussman really brought my son's introverted personality into his own perspective. He saw peers that were there for similar circumstances and really helped him to see that it is not only him. He witnessed first hand how Dr. Sussman was able to build the children and allow the peers to help. The system of rewards was great also.
Dec 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Since we started taking our son to Dr. Sussman's sessions there has been so much improvement with him in every way. Although Dr. Sussman's method might to someone seam unconventional our son her truly thrived since seeing him.
Dec 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman is upfront in explaining that his methods are not traditional therapy. The therapy is interactive, and game show like, with some good-natured ribbing/teasing that is a throwback to a time where everyone actually talked with each other. Along the way jokes, and interaction between the patents and Dr. Sussman help keep the sessions fun. If a patient has a particularly bad week, guidance is given to get on the right track. If a good week is had, then the patient is rewarded and encouraged to continue. Humor is used to break down barriers to talking about issues, and good behavior is rewarded. Going into the session with an open mind and a good sense of humor is advised. Some "Mel Brooks" type humor is used but is harmless fun. I highly recommend Dr. Sussman. While his methods are unorthodox, he really helped make a difference in getting my son back to a good place after a particularly difficult time in his life.
Mark Melaccio – Dec 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We have been seeing doctor Sussman for about 8 months and I've seen a phenomenal change in my son's behavior with me, as well as his peers. Going to the weekly sessions, recieving continuous positive feedback from Dr. Sussman, and of course earning prizes motivate my son to do better with me, and at school. Attending the group is entertaining for the parents as well! Dr. Sussman keeps us engaged as we cheer on our children's success, also by telling jokes here and there. I give Dr. Steve Sussman 2 thumbs up!
Jessica M. – Dec 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
My son was recently diagnosed with ADHD which added more stress to his adolescent phase. Dr. Sussman’s methodology is somewhat unorthodox but it’s helped my son and me as a parent that he is not alone and we can get through any phase together. Dr. Sussman runs the sessions in a group setting where the kids sit in front of him and the parents sit in the back. He uses a point reward system that motivates the kids to do better every week. Dr. Sussman approach has worked very well for my family and I and would recommend it to other parents and kids.
NW – Nov 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
We can’t say enough positive things about Dr Steve. He runs a group therapy session like a game show with prizes for improved behavior, many jokes and a chance for kids to hear how others are coping with related issues based on parent feedback each week. Our son went to the sessions for over a year and has made incredible progress in his behavior on multiple fronts, and we would thoroughly recommend Dr Steve’s approach as a unique alternative to other forms of counseling.
Peter – Oct 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman makes the sessions fun with his game show antics and somewhat corny jokes. He uses a scoring method to encourage the kids to strive to,improve their behavior. Since its a group's setting it also,helps the kids to know they are not alone with their behavior issues and with effort they can really improve. Dr Sussman helps them realize this without judging them. I woukd definirely recommend him
JC. Woodbridge, NJ – Oct 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Steve changed our lives. I have seen my son Tyler grow and overcome all the issues he once struggled with. He is now such a happy well adjusted kid who has the tools to be successful in all situations both at home and in school. We have seen Dr. Steve as a family every week for the last 3 years. I am proud to say that due to Tyler’s many successes he is now officially “graduating” from Dr. Steve, and tonite will be our last session (I’m a little sad too because we are going to miss seeing him every week) If you are looking for an incredible and effective therapist for your child, please look no further, I highly recommend Dr. Steve. He is like no other therapist I have ever met, and the way he connects with the kids AND the parents is truly the secret his success. His outgoing personality, and unique approach combined with a great sense of humor and a strong compassion for the well being of the kids is apparent from the moment you walk through his doors. HE IS THE BEST!
Alicia M. – Oct 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Very unorthodox (and Dr Steve will tell you so) but it works. After trying years of one on one counseling with no results the power of group therapy was amazing. At first I wasn’t sure as my son only spoke for a few minutes but then realized the power is in hearing other kids issues...overall I’m a big fan and would tell anyone trying Dr Steve to make sure you give it a few weeks as it does work
Jul 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Dr. Sussman helped my child immensely. His technique is unorthodox, group therapy in the form of a game show where the kids win small prizes for points accumulated; but it works. Dr. Steve uses humor that may not be for the politically correct, unfunny or uptight parents of the world, but for the rest of us, he’s funny. The kids are encouraged to participate; parents speak very little, which is good. It’s behavioral therapy, it doesn’t even seem like a therapy session but Dr. Steve has a way about him that helps the kids help themselves and helps them figure out how to successfully navigate life. I wish I could give him 6 stars!
May 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?
Mom-Clark, NJ I have a 7 1/2 year old son who I just recently brought to Dr. Sussman's group therapy. I wrote a review last week and mistakenly it showed that I gave him a 2 star rating. That's incorrect. I would give this doctor a 5 star. He connects with each child individually but also makes it a learning experience for everyone in the group. This type of therapy works for my son and only have been to 1 group session so far, Dr. Sussman is who he looks forward to seeing each week.
Apr 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Sussman?

I specialize in treating behavioral problems of childhood and adolescence. Attention Deficit Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, BiPolar Disorder and School Underachievement are my subspecialties. Social skills, parenting is...

• Adolescent Psychology
  • Clinical Psychology

More Information

• Does Dr. Sussman communicate via email?

Yes, 3 patients said they communicate via email

• Does Dr. Sussman offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Yes, 3 patients said they offer telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Sussman offer an online patient portal?

Yes, 3 patients said they offer an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Sussman have free onsite parking?

Yes, 1 patient said they have free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Sussman offer weekend visits?

No, 2 users indicated that they do not offer weekend visits

• Does Dr. Sussman offer evening visits?

Yes, 3 patients said they offer evening visits