Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD

Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology  |
Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD is a clinical child & adolescent psychology provider who practices in Mountainside, NJ. He is 66 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Read his story

615 Sherwood Pkwy

Mountainside, NJ 07092

• Beacon Health Strategies
  • EmblemHealth
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Learn about Dr. Sussman

Dr. Sussman's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Sussman "I AM DR. STEVEN SUSSMAN. I AM A LICENSED CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST AND HAVE BEEN IN PRACTICE FOR OVER 30 YEARS. IN 1997, I FOUND MY TRUE PASSION. I BEGAN SPECIALIZING EXCLUSIVELY WITH CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS WHO ARE HAVING BEHAVIORAL AND ACADEMIC PROBLEMS. WHEN I REALIZED THESE CHILDREN DO NOT REPOND TO TRADITIONAL TALK THERAPY, I CREATED MY OWN CHILD-FRIENDLY TECHNIQUES. I HAVE TAUGHT THESE TECHNIQUES TO HUNDREDS OF PROFESSIONALS ACROSS THE COUNTRY. THERE IS NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT IN LIFE THAN RAISING A HAPPY HEALTHY CHILD. I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR OVER 35 YEARS TO MY WIFE, LAURA, WHO IS ALSO A PSYCHOTHERAPIST. WE ARE BLESSED WITH TWO WONDERFUL ADULT CHILDREN WHO, THANKFULLY, ARE DOING WELL IN LIFE . BOTH HAVE ALSO ENTERED THE HELPING PROFESSIONS. MATERIAL SUCCESS, CLASS STATUS, AND WEALTH DO NOT COMPARE TO THE MEANINGFULNESS AND FULFILLMENT ONE RECEIVES FROM RAISING CHILDREN. IF THE CHILDREN ARE WELL ADJUSTED AND REALIZING THEIR POTENTIAL, IT IS AN ADDED JOY. IF NOT, IT IS BITTERSWEET FOR A PARENT TO LOVE THEIR CHILD BUT KNOW THEIR CHILD IS UNHAPPY AND NOT MEETING WITH SUCCESS. I KNOW HOW IMPORTANT YOUR CHILD'S WELL BEING IS TO YOU. YOU WOULD NOT BE ON THIS WEBSITE IF THAT WERE NOT TRUE. MY YEARS OF PRACTICE HAVE TAUGHT ME HOW HARD AND HURTFUL IT IS FOR PARENTS IF THEIR CHILDREN ARE NOT THRIVING. WHEN A PARENT BRINGS THEIR CHILD TO ME THEY ARE ENTRUSTING ME WITH THE WELFARE OF THEIR MOST PRECIOUS ASSET….THEIR CHILD! I FEEL A TREMENDOUS OBLIGATION TO HELP THAT CHILD AND FAMILY. IF YOU CHOOSE TO WORK WITH ME I PROMISE I WILL DO MY VERY BEST TO HELP YOUR CHILD MAKE THE MOST OF THEIR ABILITIES AND TO REACH THEIR INTELLECTUAL AND EMOTIONAL POTENTIAL. KNOW THAT I AM ALWAYS AVAILABLE BY PHONE, EMAIL, AND TEXT EVERYDAY INCLUDING EVENINGS, WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS, IF NECESSARY. THANK YOU FOR CONSIDERING ME."

This content was provided by Dr. Sussman "I specialize in treating behavioral problems of childhood and adolescence. Attention Deficit Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, BiPolar Disorder and School Underachievement are my subspecialties. Social skills, parenting issues, autistic spectrum disorders and sibling rivalry are additional areas of focus. I also specialize in treating children who have had past treatment failures. Many of my clients have been in therapies where the therapist and parent did most of the talking and failed to engage the child. Lastly, with parental permission I consult with the child's school to assure the child's interests are being best served.Using child-friendly cognitive behavioral therapy, I teach young clients the skills and strategies needed to overcome their difficulties and succeed. This improves their self-control which leads to improved self-esteem. I believe the child must enjoy coming to therapy in order for it to be successful."

• Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology
  • Clinical Psychology

Dr. Sussman does not have any board certifications listed.

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Oppositional Defiant Disorder

• ADHD Testing
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Pediatric Counseling
  • Psychotherapy Services

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Brooklyn College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1973
  • Long Island University / Brooklyn Campus
    Medical School | Graduated 1979
  • Queens Childrens Psychiatric Center Bellerose Ny
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1977
  • Long Island University / Brooklyn Campus
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Sussman has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Sussman has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Sussman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sussman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sussman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sussman to family and friends
Dr. Sussman Says:

I wish to thank all the parents who took the time and effort to provide feedback on my services.   I welcome parent feedback and make myself readily available for consultation between visits.  I strive to help each and every child who comes to me.  If I am not the right fit for that child's issues I will gladly refer that child to a provider who i feel is a better...

Dr. Sussman's Performance
Stirling, NJ |
Dr. Sussman’s unique approach to therapy has been so instrumental to my son. We had tried countless therapists prior but no one had an approach relatable to children. He has been accessible any time of day and my son very much actually looks forward to his sessions. We even created a behavior chart that mimics Dr. Sussman’s approach which has been amazing. I would highly recommend his services.
in Flemington |
Dr Steve's group therapy saved our son. It was a different approach from going to a therapist and crying for an hour. He guided us for his treatment and advocated for him. We are grateful. Our son became captain of his HS wrestling team and brought them to the championship for 2 years in a row. He got academic scholarships in college and graduated 3.90 GPA. He was recruited by a major hotel chain at graduation and now manages a major hotel and 5 bar/restaurants in Louisiana.
in NJ |
I recommend Dr. Steve 100% because his group therapies are entertaining and made my son feel confident and that led him to have a better attitude, talk more and be more independent .. my family will always be grateful for the good advice.
in Staten Island, NY |
Dr. Sussman is not only one of the most down to earth child psychologists out there, but he knows how to keep the session going. The doctor has such a great demeanor and a sense of humor I have not seen ever. It's because of this that I recommend you bringing your child to him for a session. I promise you will never regret it.
in Staten Island, NY |
I am a Nationally Certified School Psychologist and trainer of professionals throughout the U.S. and other countries. My great interest is treatment that is quick and effective. Dr. Steven Sussman has developed a truly innovative, quick effective system for turning defiant children into cooperative ones. Since it doesn't involve probing deeply into people's personal lives while injecting humor, there is little resistance. I have referred many clients to him over the years, with great results.
Plainfield, NJ |
Dr. Sussman's techniques definitely hit a good note with our 8 yo son b/c the session's format and setting are catered to kids' interests. After only a few sessions we indeed noticed a positive change in his behavior. While Dr. S can make some 'interesting' pop culture jokes that may seem a bit off-color sometimes, it's his way of including the parental figures in the room as well, and a way to break the ice of the tension-related reasons everyone is there seeking help. Would def recommend.
New Jersey |
Dr. Steve’s approach to therapy is refreshing. Children learn about themselves by hearing from other children who have similar struggles. They see that they are not alone. Since parents also speak at each session, children see that other parents have expectations for their children’s behavior. This helps them realize that their parents are not so different from others (which helps repair the parent/child bond). I leave Dr. Steve’s sessions feeling like a huge weight has been lifted.
in Linden NJ |
Not only was group therapy very helpful for my daughter, but it was helpful for me. It made me recognize certain behavior patterns that my daughter was exhibiting and I learned how to address these things with my daughter.
in Metuchen, NJ |
Dr. Steve's program is just what my son needed to overcome the challenges he was experiencing. In a very short time he made great improvements, and I knew he was taking in what he was learning. What is truly amazing about this "unique" program...children learn from Dr. Steve's teachings, and from the other children's experience so they can understand that they are not different. We all have something we need to work on. They make changes together. Dr. Steve is brilliant at what he does.
Bayonne, NJ |
Dr. Sussman has helped my child improve his behavior and impulsivity. I would highly recommend his services. Also to be able to call a doctor in time of need, and get a response and quickly. Ability to reach him thru his cell phone, calling me back.
in Summit, NJ |
Dr. Sussman has created an environment that gives everyone an opportunity to let down their guard and really listen to what your kids are saying and in turn they hear you, really hear you... when you respond to questions asked. This often leads to conversations very naturally outside of group sessions. If you have tried traditional therapy that most kids see right through and you are feeling at your wits' end, I urge you to give Dr Sussman a chance. You will reap the benefits in no time...
in Summit, NJ |
Dr. Sussman's group is not cookie-cutter therapy. To understand the effects of his approach you need to give it time. My son is 17 and has been in group for 3 yrs. Never once complained about going and likes the unconventional approach. He has made positive strides in his behavior, but more importantly is the positive change in our relationship with each other, that is invaluable. The laid-back, facetious vibe Dr. Sussman has created gives all an opportunity to really listen to each other!
in Springfield, NJ |
I would recommend anyone that has a child with behaviorial trouble to see Dr. Steve. My son wanted to go see him every week. I saw improvement in my sons behavior after a few weeks. Dr. Steve is also quite funny!
in Linden NJ |
My son has been in Dr Steve's sessions since he was in pre-k. I was at the end of my rope with my son's behavior in school . I read reviews on Dr Steve and started his weekly group sessions. My son made a complete turn around , he learned a lot from group and Dr Steve . I would recommmed his group sessions for any behavioral issues , Dr Steve always maintains a positive and encouraging attitude in session to help your child achieve the best out come .
Staten Island, NY |
MC, Staten Island, N.Y. My son has been seeing Dr. Steve since September of 2016 and he looks forward to the group. He loves the relationship he has with all the other children. The kids all wait for each other and are very happy when they see each other. Whether your child has ADHD or ASD, this group makes them feel comfortable with Dr. Steve's professionalism and reward system. It's a different approach, however I would recommend him highly. Laughter is good for the soul! Thanks Dr. Steve
in Short Hills, NJ |
Dr. Susman is the best therapist in this entire world! He totally understands children and people and has insight to all of their problems.My son was a patient and did fabulously under Dr. Susman supervision. Although he seemingly has a hard exterior he is really very sensitive, kind Doctor who is super intelligent.
This is not CBT. Kids don't engage w/1 another at all. They sit quietly until it's their turn for him to ask "why do you continue to act this way?" and"do you think you can try harder this week?" That's the extent of the "counseling", in between countless bad, inappropriate jokes that are meant to entertain the audience of parents. The kids who ARE motivated by his bells & whistles won't be when they're older & won't know how to successfully cope w/ADHD. Unethical. Not helping ?families at all.
This client came two times. Their opinion that my child-friendly therapy techniques do not help children has not been the experience of so many of the parents I have worked with. Nevertheless, I will try to take what I can from the review to improve my services.
South Amboy, NJ |
Dr. Steve has a really unique approach to working with kids on their behavior issues. He really makes the kids and parents feel at ease and leave the session with a smile on their faces. My son loves going to Dr. Steve and has made a lot of progress.
in Roselle Park NJ |
Dr. Steve has an incredibly successful therapy approach. His interactive group setting, humor, and positive reinforcement system is one of a kind. I have tried individual therapy in the past with no results. Taking my son to Dr. Steve has been such a great experience and has yielded positive behavior changes in my son in the home setting, the school setting as well as his relationships with his siblings. I would highly recommend him to any parent who is looking for a therapist for their child.
Bronx, NY |
Dr. Steve is amazing with the kids, my son loves Dr. Steves reward system he is 12 years old and finds it encouraging. Dr. Steve is also very accommodating with scheduling the sessions. Highly Recommend him. M.A. from Roselle Park, NJ
Westfield, NJ |
Dr. Steve is not your traditional practitioner as far as therapy is concerned. He really knows how to connect with his patients as well as with their parents. He has come up with a magic formula that just works if you stick with it. I definitely recommend him.
in Maplewood nj |
Dr Sussman runs a unique group therapy for kids. He uses the concepts of behavioral change thriugh a game show with bells and buzzers prizes and sometimes the occasional lose a prize. He is direct with the children and parents uses humor to engage the children and playfully teases them to respond and react to their own behaviors. The children in the group listen to how their peers and themselves behaved during the week. He uses positive reinfircement to get the child motivated fir success b
in Roselle park, NJ |
Dr. Sussman is a great professional and an exceptional human being.
in Staten Island, NY |
Dr. S. is amazing. My 9 year old daughter absolutely loves attending his sessions. He has a very unique approach with friendly and fun environment. I can see huge improvement within short period of time, of only 4 month. My daughter is more focused, has better grades in school and her behavior changed from being constantly angry and unhappy to joyful happy kid. I highly recommend Dr. S to anybody whose child has ADHD/ADD or behavioral issues.
in Union, NJ |
I've been taking my son to Dr. Sussman's therapy sessions for quite some time. My son has attention deficit, so the one on one style of therapy did not produce any results. Once I found Dr. Sussman, and his group style sessions, it was exactly what we needed. He keeps the kids engaged throughout the session and motivates them to do better by encouraging them, and giving them a chance to earn prizes if they do well. Highly recommended!
in Westfield, NJ |
I was unprepared for Dr Steve's approach to group therapy, but my son's reaction to his methods were all i needed to be a cheerleader for his practice. A steadying presence that soothed a prickly relationship between parents and teen, Dr Steve is a valuable resource for struggling families.
Union NJ |
Dr. Sussman's sessions are not regular one on one sessions between him and a child. They take place in a game show atmosphere that helps kids feel comfortable while the parents sit back as audience members and applaud their kids for positive behavior. Dr. Sussman also tells a lot of jokes and makes each session enjoyable for both kids and parents. I have seen tremendous behavioral improvement in my son since attending Dr. Sussman's sessions.
in Cranford, NJ |
I credit Dr. Steve with helping to bring my daughter's life into focus for her. I feel as though she had been drifting through her daily activities without a real awareness of her environment or herself (certainly no awareness of how she was perceived by others). This lack of focus caused issues both in school and at home. Dr. Steve helped her to become self aware and instilled in her a desire (and the confidence) to be a better student, a kinder friend and a more loving daughter/sister.
in Elizabeth Nj |
His method is different from other doctors, he encourage the kids to take responsibility of his actions and do better the next time with his reward method my daughter is thinking to do better every time to get better score.
Metuchen, NJ |
Dr. Sussman is great for teens. His humorous and innovative approach makes them feel comfortable with speaking about issues in front of a group. My son enjoys going to Dr. Steve and I feel that he benefits from hearing what Dr. Steve has to say to all of the kids.
Staten Island, NY |
Dr Sussman works wonders with children. He gets them to open up and brings humor to his sessions which makes them feel comfortable. He has helped my son tremendously
in Linden, NJ |
Dr. Steve makes everyone feel at ease. The children as well as the parents, after attending a few sessions, become like a family which makes it easy to work through any situations your child is having by hearing what other parents are experiencing. Humor is used in a very effective way to keep the atmosphere friendly and non intimidating. I would definitely recommend Dr. Steve!
in Linden, NJ |
Dr. Steve runs a great program that is fun for the kids and parents. I have found it very effective for my son and I have also found it very helpful for myself. I highly reccomend him and his services
in Linden |
Very patient and has a good sense of humor which helps most kids open up.
in Elizabeth, NJ |
Dr. Steve has been great with my kids. Any level of questions or concerns he has always been helpful and has guided me to better help my children. They are now doing much better than they did before.
in NJ |
Dr. Sussman has done an excellent job of helping our son. Dr. Sussman has succeeded where other medical professionals have failed.
Have you seen Dr. Steven Sussman, PHD?

Visit Dr. Sussman