Dr. Steven Chen, PHD

Clinical Psychology •  Male • Age 58

Dr. Chen
12401 S 450 E Unit B2 Draper, UT 84020

Dr. Steven Chen, PHD is a Clinical Psychologist in Draper, UT. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Chen to book an appointment.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Clinical Psychologists in your area

See similar Clinical Psychologists in Draper

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Dr. Chen accepts

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Utah

Check if Dr. Chen treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Chen's conditions and procedures:

• Adolescent Counseling
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Relaxation Therapy
  • Sex Therapy
  • Stress Management

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Steven Chen, PHD...

Offer an online patient portal?

Communicate via email?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Offer evening visits?

Have free onsite parking?

Dr. Chen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chen

4.5

Dr. Chen?
What People Say About Dr. Steven Chen, PHD
Effective, experienced, very professional. If you are willing to listen and to work, you will benefit greatly from counseling with him.
Mar 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Sorry if this is a duplicate review not sure if the first one uploaded. I saw Steve Chen for a career crisis. After a long and successful career I suddenly found myself on the skids, and my future in doubt. I was very upset, to say the least, about my job situation and very concerned about my future. I saw Steve Chen as I really needed an objective 3rd party to hash things out with. I saw Dr. Chen for about 4 months, which was enough time for me to make real progress. He was able to point out better ways I could both think and act differently about my situation, which was extremely helpful. He was a good listener and his questions were on point. He was thoughtful and patient. I always got a lot out of our meetings. Initially I saw him every week, and then as I started to feel better I cut back to every 2nd week which he was fine with. I feel much better about my situation and am optimistic about my future again. I feel like I have some better tools to deal with my work situation.
Doug – Mar 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I had seen several other therapists in my life and found Dr. Chen after moving to Salt Lake. He has by far been the best therapist I've had the opportunity to sit with. His insights and empathy allow me to feel comfortable immediately. His knowledge and prescribed work with him has allowed me to grow and move past some of my concerns and trauma after just a couple months, with much of the improvement in just a few visits. I'm very grateful for his approach. The opportunity to work with him has been life changing.
Mr. Codependent – Oct 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I am writing as a psychologist in the Draper community who knows Dr. Chen very well. Dr. Chen is a brilliant psychologist who is highly skilled in empirically based treatments for various disorders. He is ethical in his decision-making, and treats his patients with the upmost positive regard. Dr. Chen has a warm and welcoming demeanor. I have attended his workshops on sexual addiction, and I have become better in assessing this type of addiction. I have referred patients to him for sexual addiction treatment, and I have received feedback from these individuals that the services rendered by Dr. Chen were excellent. I highly recommend Dr. Chen.
Dr. Scott Fidler – Jul 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I saw Dr. Chen twice for career counseling. I am in my late 20's and already have a good idea of my personality/strengths as they relate to careers and jobs. Speaking with him, even if only twice, I resolved to remain in my current position. It was very helpful speaking with him to briefly explore other realistic career options and to have someone simply listen and ask the right questions that I needed to answer myself. Now, a few months after the appointments, I am glad I stayed with my current position and Dr. Chen helped me to make that decision, and I am grateful for it.
May 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
He helped me a ton. Very understanding and patient.
Sebastian in UT – May 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I had the opportunity and privilege to sit with Dr. Chen after I first moved to Utah, seeking guidance related to this life-changing event. During the course of our sessions, he provided me with insights and wisdom beyond my ability to see. As we moved past my initial concerns, we identified some deeper issues to focus on--which I am now embracing. Dr. Chen has the ability to extract the best I have to offer, and I recommend him without hesitation.
Ed in Salt Lake City – Apr 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I have been seeing Dr Chen back and forth for almost a year, he is a very professional and patient therapist who would listen to your problems carefully, and tries to understand as much as he can. I am also very impressed by his wide knowledge, you can pretty much talk about anything with him. He has been offering me very rational and sensible advices, I like how he makes my mind calm, clear and rational. All my visits to him are worthy, and I hope yours as well.
SC in Lehi – Mar 31, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen is very qualified and professional. He took time to assess my situation and then recommend appropriate treatment. The techniques he used really helped reduce my depression and decrease my alcohol use. Thanks for all your help!
Park City – Mar 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Meeting with Dr. Chen has changed my life. I have found ways to deal with my anxiety and depression.. I have also been able to improve my personal relationships.
Salt Lake City, UT – Mar 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I don't think I've ever made as much progress with a previous therapist as I have with Dr. Chen. When I first started therapy I had a lot of issues with my critical voice which was sabotaging many things in my life. Through our sessions we've worked on putting that voice in its place as well as working on becoming debt free (my debt was contributing to my depression), stepping out of my comfort zone and socializing more. I feel like our sessions have been immensely constructive.
Eric in Salt Lake City, UT – Mar 17, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen's profile fails to disclose that the majority of his practice is treating moderate to severe sex addiction. I went to him with what he described as a condition that is so mild that it does not fall within his practice area, and that he doesn't treat, and didn't even know who to refer me to. In order to find that out, I had to pay $200 for an initial consultation, and approximately another $500 to take an online test that was not at all applicable to the issues I presented with..
Mar 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Meeting with Dr. Chen has been nothing but a positive experience. He gave me tools and new ideas on how to approach the issues I was struggling with. He offered positive validation and very sound, logical advice. I highly recommend Dr. Chen.
Pocatello, ID – Sep 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen is always in control of the session and delivers proven advice in an intelligent and compassionate way...something we've not seen in three unrelated experiences with marital counselors. Throughout our therapy, we have undergone many changes for the better—facilitated by his docile, understanding manner—coupled with skills that put an end to bitterness, resentment, and stubbornness. We are in a much better state and are now putting to use the skills he teaches. Raise the roof, Dr. C!
Salt Lake City, UT – Jul 29, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
When I first started seeing Dr.Chen I was dealing with anxiety and depression. My life had gone from mountain biking and snowboarding 3-5 days a week to being afraid to even get out on the trails. Everyday life became a challenge (work, family, etc.). Between therapy and medication I have been able to get my life out of the valley I had become stuck in. Dr.Chen provides great advice and techniques for working through anxiety and depression. I strongly recommend him to anyone seeking therapy.
Salt Lake City, UT – Jul 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
My husband and I have seen counselors in the past, but not until seeing Dr Chen did we experience a breakthrough. He taught us valuable skills that really hit home for both of us. I feel a stronger connection to my husband now because of Dr Chen's ability to identify our unhealthy templates and help us create new healthier behaviors with PRACTICE.
Jeannine in Salt Lake City, UT – Jul 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I have been battling with depression and anxiety for years. I'd also been on a small dose of antidepressants prior to seeing Dr. Chen, but seeing him and working through problems and hearing his take on things, in tandem with strategies to help me, have been a boon and nothing less.
Jul 12, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Therapy was my last resort. Emotional abuse in my marriage, among other things, brought me to rock bottom. I'd lost my identity/worth. Dr. Chen is so knowledgeable and educated. He helped me to improve myself (my husband wouldn't come) and through working on myself- my husband took notice and also decided to make necessary changes. I learned things about myself I never would have expected and my marriage turned out to not only be salvageable but the best part of my life. I would see him again!
Allie – Jun 29, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen has provided me with several useful tools for managing anxiety. His calm, professional manner is reassuring and creates an atmosphere of trust.
Olivia Richards in Riverton, UT – Feb 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Deciding to get counseling was not easy, but turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. In my opinion, much of the well meaning advice we receive from friends and family is often incredibly subjective, which can render it useless and can make one feel misunderstood. Advice from Dr. Chen is not always perfectly suited for me, but I do feel is based on many years of experience and is more often than not like a light bulb that just came on. Sincerely highly recommended.
Salt Lake City, UT – Feb 11, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chen?

It is usually a difficult decision to seek treatment for one's pain and discomfort. I make every effort to be understanding, open-minded and non-judgmental. Your experience is unique and I will work with you to identify the source of your challenges ...

• Clinical Psychology
  • Psychology

1991
Baylor University
1991
Brigham Young University / Ph.D.
1986
Boise State University

More Information

• Does Dr. Chen communicate via email?

Yes, 2 patients said they communicate via email

• Does Dr. Chen offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Yes, 1 patient said they offer telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Chen offer an online patient portal?

Yes, 1 patient said they offer an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Chen have free onsite parking?

Yes, 1 patient said they have free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Chen offer weekend visits?

Yes, 1 patient said they offer weekend visits

• Does Dr. Chen offer evening visits?

Yes, 2 patients said they offer evening visits