Dr. Steven Chen, PHD

Clinical PsychologyMaleAge 60

Clinical Psychology

Dr. Steven Chen, PHD is a Clinical Psychologist in Draper, UT. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Steven Chen, PHD
12401 S 450 E Unit B2 Draper, UT 84020

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Clinical Psychologists in your area

"It is usually a difficult decision to seek treatment for one's pain and discomfort. I make every effort to be understanding, open-minded and non-judgmental. Your experience is unique and I will work with you to identify th..."

- Dr. Steven Chen, PHD

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Utah

Check if Dr. Chen treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Chen's conditions and procedures:

• Adolescent Counseling
  • Adolescent Depression
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Relaxation Therapy
  • Sex Therapy
  • Stress Management

Dr. Chen accepts

Dr. Chen accepts the following insurance:

Self Pay

Dr. Chen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chen

Dr. Chen

I can always trust Dr. Chen when I need advice.
I have known Dr. Chen for over twelve years. His therapy sessions helped me overcome PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I was in a dark place when I met him. I have experienced PTG (Post-traumatic growth) thanks to his knowledge, wisdom, and clarity to see beyond my words and trauma. Other family members have had therapy sessions with him too, and they were able to start their healing process. I can't thank him enough for helping me be who I am now.
Patricia B. – Aug 02, 2022
Chen is the best
Chen is not your average psychologist/counselor. His insight and experience is superior to many other professionals I've worked with in the past. I appreciate his candor and honest assessment of the issues presented. It has allowed me and my husband to open up and discover the deeper issues between us and within myself. He provides practical strategies to help manage or resolve issues in a healthy manner. We are so thankful for his help in bringing hope and love back to our marriage. He really saved our marriage…that is priceless.
May 02, 2022
Dr. Chen's Reply –
Thanks for your kind feedback !
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I have been seeing Dr. Chen for a few years and have had a very positive experience. He has helped me heal trauma and learn how to manage my emotions to help me be a better wife, mom and person over all.
Apr 30, 2022
Thank-you for your kind review. I appreciate you...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Fantastic listener and always provides good advice and techniques for dealing with my problems. Super easy to talk to and has a very calm demeanor. 10/10 would recommend.
Harvey – Mar 18, 2022
Dr. Chen's Reply –
Thanks Harvey. I have enjoyed working with you!
Starting Therapy
I was hesitant to start therapy, but have found that it was a great decision! Dr. Chen is very experienced. I've been struggling with relationship issues. With Dr. Chen's help I've learned to understand and manage my relationships in a healthy way. I am so happy that I was able to work with such a great professional!
Ann – Mar 08, 2022
Dr. Chen's Reply –
Thanks for your kind words
Expert
Dr. Chen is an expert at helping with psychological challenges. He correctly diagnosed my anxiety and other issues. Then he taught me calming techniques and coping skills. With his help I have been able to set strong boundaries and get through some difficult work and family struggles.
Ruth – Mar 07, 2022
You applied the skills very well. I wish you the...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Misdiagnosis. Chen was very willing to hear my trauma and validate my feelings, but the time spent looking for emotional abusers as the source of my painful emotions was not ultimately productive. Luckily, another provider was able to spot my ADHD and the rejection sensitivity (RSD) that makes me feel constantly attacked (some providers are not trained to spot ADHD in adults). As a tip to others on this path, if you have ADHD, low self-esteem and experience EXTREME pain when you perceive rejection (even when it’s not there), check out RSD. The right treatment from the right provider got my emotions under control and my relationships in a better state (ADHD divorce rates are awful).
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Mar 04, 2022
Most people who have ADHD are also very sensitive...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I never put much stock into therapy, but when the FAA requires you to go in order to keep your medical, you go. I was lucky enough to get referred to Dr. Chen, since has an aviation background. He not only listened to me but he challenged me in my philosophies and ideas. The support and counsel he gave me was beyond valuable. He is a true professional that knows his craft and how to best provide tools to progress. I have heard that a good therapist can be hard to find. I am lucky to say that I cannot relate to that struggle.
Bryce Ransom – Feb 21, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen, is the first person I've worked with where I feel like I've been listened to, where my feelings have been validated/addressed, and have felt comfortable to be completely open and honest. He creates a safe place where you can explore your life and gain an outside perspective that is balanced and insightful. I would recommend meeting with him to see if he is also a good fit for you.
David H. – Dec 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen is an exceptional therapist. He helped guide me through a dark period in my life. I was suffering from depression and extreme anxiety with panic attacks. Simply put, the coping mechanisms he gave me worked, and I'm doing much better now. Dr. Chen has a calming presence, excellent listening skills, and a ton of wisdom to share. He's also very non-judgmental and kind. Basically Dr. Chen has every quality you would want in a therapist. Dr. Chen, if you're reading this, thank you! You've been a Godsend. Best wishes to you and yours.
Nick – Nov 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen talked me through various steps and techniques in dealing with my anxiety. Always tried to understand my point of view and helped me develop ways to deal with it. I didn’t really notice much difference at first, but using techniques that he presented to me helped me be deal with the anxiety and I was able to fall asleep without needing a TV on for the first times in years.
Jul 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I found Dr. Chen after looking for psychologists to help me deal with an existential crisis after the death of a family member. I was feeling intensely depressed, anxious, and hopeless - and Dr. Chen helped me learn how to overcome those feelings. He is considerate and also practical in his solutions. He gives you the necessary tools to overcome your problems. In addition to helping me with my anxiety and depression, he helped me improved other areas in my life that I needed help with. As a result, I not only feel hope in life again, but I am a much happier, healthier version of myself compared to who I was before I met with Dr. Chen. If you’re feeling anxious, depressed, or simply want to improve your way of thinking to become a healthier and happier person, I highly recommend you meet with Dr. Chen for practical solutions that work.
Jul 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I’ve been struggling with depression and anxiety a lot lately, and Dr. Chen has been a huge help. I’ve learned several important things, and I can see a big difference in my daily life.
Jun 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
He is very professional understanding patient psychiatrist. I mentioned it once before to him I don’t know where I would’ve been without him.
Feb 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Dr. Chen is an excellent therapist. He gives counsel backed by extensive research and is always current on the latest evidence-based therapy strategies. He genuinely cares about the health and success of his clients. He is very logical and pragmatic while also giving the sometimes hard-to-hear information his clients need to better themselves and their relationships. He is very knowledgeable, empathetic, and easy to talk to.
Rachael M. – Jun 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Effective, experienced, very professional. If you are willing to listen and to work, you will benefit greatly from counseling with him.
Mar 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
Sorry if this is a duplicate review not sure if the first one uploaded. I saw Steve Chen for a career crisis. After a long and successful career I suddenly found myself on the skids, and my future in doubt. I was very upset, to say the least, about my job situation and very concerned about my future. I saw Steve Chen as I really needed an objective 3rd party to hash things out with. I saw Dr. Chen for about 4 months, which was enough time for me to make real progress. He was able to point out better ways I could both think and act differently about my situation, which was extremely helpful. He was a good listener and his questions were on point. He was thoughtful and patient. I always got a lot out of our meetings. Initially I saw him every week, and then as I started to feel better I cut back to every 2nd week which he was fine with. I feel much better about my situation and am optimistic about my future again. I feel like I have some better tools to deal with my work situation.
Doug – Mar 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I had seen several other therapists in my life and found Dr. Chen after moving to Salt Lake. He has by far been the best therapist I've had the opportunity to sit with. His insights and empathy allow me to feel comfortable immediately. His knowledge and prescribed work with him has allowed me to grow and move past some of my concerns and trauma after just a couple months, with much of the improvement in just a few visits. I'm very grateful for his approach. The opportunity to work with him has been life changing.
Mr. Codependent – Oct 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I am writing as a psychologist in the Draper community who knows Dr. Chen very well. Dr. Chen is a brilliant psychologist who is highly skilled in empirically based treatments for various disorders. He is ethical in his decision-making, and treats his patients with the upmost positive regard. Dr. Chen has a warm and welcoming demeanor. I have attended his workshops on sexual addiction, and I have become better in assessing this type of addiction. I have referred patients to him for sexual addiction treatment, and I have received feedback from these individuals that the services rendered by Dr. Chen were excellent. I highly recommend Dr. Chen.
Dr. Scott Fidler – Jul 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?
I saw Dr. Chen twice for career counseling. I am in my late 20's and already have a good idea of my personality/strengths as they relate to careers and jobs. Speaking with him, even if only twice, I resolved to remain in my current position. It was very helpful speaking with him to briefly explore other realistic career options and to have someone simply listen and ask the right questions that I needed to answer myself. Now, a few months after the appointments, I am glad I stayed with my current position and Dr. Chen helped me to make that decision, and I am grateful for it.
May 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Chen, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chen?