Sheila Owen, LCSW

Individual CounselingFemaleAge 54

Sheila Owen

PeachTree Therapeutic Services

1 Evergreen Ave Hamden, CT 06518

Sheila Owen, LCSW is a Individual Counselor in Hamden, CT. She is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Sheila Owen to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Individual Counselors in your area

Review Highlight

"I used to go to a PhD psychotherapist and Sheila actually did more for me at half the cost."

See more reviews

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

No malpractice claims found for Connecticut

Check if Sheila Owen treats your condition or procedure

Sheila Owen's conditions and procedures:

• Addiction
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Behavioral Disorders
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Couples Therapy
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Drug Abuse
  • Family Counseling
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Grief
  • Individual Therapy
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Relationship Issues
  • Relaxation Therapy
  • Stress
  • Stress Management
  • Substance Abuse

Sheila Owen accepts

Sheila Owen accepts the following insurance:

Blue Open Access PPO

Sheila Owen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Sheila Owen

3.6

Sheila Owen?
  • Appointment scheduling (13)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (13)
  • Explained conditions well (13)
  • Appointment was rushed (4)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (4)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (4)
I highly recommend Sheila. She helped me through a very difficult period of depression and anxiety and had a lot of helpful suggestions for tools and opportunities. She was attentive, was easy to talk to and always readily available.
Feb 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
I was not surprised to see so many negative reviews about Sheila. I am very baffled that she chose this career considering her lack of compassion. She was visibly annoyed & dismissive every session. She said to me, word for word, in an out right rude manner, "What do you want me to do about that? I can't help you with that." Every session was cut short with, "Okay. Is there anything else you want to talk about?" You would think that a therapist would at least finish out the session, giving their advice & doing what they can to help you feel ready to take on the week. Unfortunately, that is not the case with her. In my opinion, she should be stripped of her certification. It disgusts me to see the excuses made in her responses to her negative reviews. She will belittle you & deteriorate your mental health in the process. She has made me feel like I am a bother to her & I am now reluctant to reengage in therapy. Save yourself the time & the money.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Lauren H. – Dec 12, 2020
I cannot adequately respond to Lauren's complaint...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Rude and unprofessional. Completely tries to demean and belittle patients, drives conversations by using subtle threats and calls people out directly to manipulate them. Her ethical practice is questionable at best, and she has mood swings where she goes on the attack. Therapy is supposed to help you cope but instead Sheila is all about getting the next buck with empty threats. DO NOT RECOMMEND.
May 02, 2020
When a patient has legal issues and is mandated...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Direct, honest. Never any problems with scheduling or availability.
Feb 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Sheila is an extremely professional and effective therapist. I have been seeing her for six months, and in that time she has helped me improve my own life significantly and she has advocated for me professionally. If you are a professional seeking a counselor for either mental health or addiction treatment there is probably no one better.
WM – Jan 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
I truly recommend Sheila if you really want help and to work on yourself. I feel so comfortable to open up and express things that I’ve never told anyone. She helps me and provides me with the truth, even if I can’t admit it!
Jan 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Excellent therapist!....... Smart direct intelligent kind empathetic! Expert in DBT! Recommend her highly!
Jan 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
She is kind. Generous. Blunt about my truth. Caring. Honest. Relatable. encouraging. Playful. Great energy. Great respect. Remember my desired pronouns. I've been seeing her for over a year and my life has changed for the better. No longer suicidal. Eating better and regular. And in a better mental state
DOMENIA L DICKEY – Dec 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Very very poor manner. Rude, sarcastic. Bad therapist. Unprofessional.
Nov 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
I wanted to provide the reviewer information on how to report this provider if he/she felt it was an important process as part of their therapeutic journey. As a provider who fancies themselves as empathic or “trauma-informed” she should be called out on her less-then ethical approach. A complaint can be made via the s department of public health website. Hopefully the person who left the review will return to find this information and anyone who finds this provider to be offensive and downright rude, at the absolute very least. Enough is enough. Too many providers doing harm in the field that clearly need to seek their own help.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Sep 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
I just got home from my first encounter with Sheila. I was not there for more than ten minutes because she is the most disrespectful person I have encountered in a long time. I am a professional myself and know how to conduct a therapeutic interview and this woman failed miserably at it. I was so unsettled and off put by the VERY FIRST THING SHE SAID TO ME that I wanted to leave right there and then but decided to have a conversation about how and why I felt off-put. I was met with a verbalized assumption she so quickly delivered in this condescending tone. Instead of trying to make things right with me, she recommended that we "drop it", and so the interview proceeded. Her eye contact was avoidant which was further more unsettling which showed in my facial expression where she then told me, "you can leave, get out." Obviously I left and as I crossed the threshold, she slammed the door.
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Kelly – Aug 08, 2019
There was a misunderstanding, Kelly. And then I...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
I just had the wildest experience over the phone with her. I am trying to get an appointment for Cbt with a counselor so I contacted shelia. She called me back and we were trying to figure out a time to meet and I guess I was talking too fast or too much and interrupted her unintentionally and she raised her voice to me and spoke to me as if I’m a child, I feel like she was treating me like she is above me because I am calling her for her services. It was a very disturbing and unsettling experience. I wish I knew someone to report her to because I would in a second.
May 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
I've been a client of Sheila Owen's for about 4 months. She is helping me during a difficult period in my life by listening carefully, providing words of encouragement and being tough when I need to hear it. She has also provided me with sources of additional support services. I am planning to continue our sessions for quite a while. She has also been very accommodating with her schedule. Sheila Owen is an exceptional counselor.
Apr 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Sheila helped me get through one of the most difficult times in my life. She is very caring and helped not only to learn coping skills, she played a vital process in getting to root cause issues. She is always there for me.
Rosemary Considine – Feb 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Sheila's down-to-earth yet pragmatic style of therapy has helped me reach root causes of my problematic behaviors and have a better understanding of how to manage my diagnosis. Therapy is a processes, it takes a few sessions to measure progress, and when you see it, it's very rewarding!
M. Sandagata in Wallingford, CT – Feb 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
I would not recommend Sheila to anyone. I have never dealt with a healthcare professional who was more patronizing and condescending. Also, I met with her for maybe 15 minutes and received a bill for 150 dollars even though I explained to her I had no insurance. While she did follow up with me, it was only to collect the bill and she had little to no interest in my dangerous condition. I cannot express my disgust in her lack of care and desire for profit enough.
Dec 15, 2018
Each client is emailed a therapy agreement and...Read More
Very professional
Jenn in North haven, CT – Oct 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
They took my Medicaid, and the sessions really helped us
Tyler in Wallingford, CT – Feb 28, 2017
Feb 28, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?
Sometimes life can be hard, financial hardships, divorce, illness, teenagers, and family death. Dealing with one of these at a time is hard enough, but when they are compiled it can draw you to your breaking point. Sheila gives me a place where I can mend what is broken. She is understanding and puts my mind at ease, she helps me find ways of coping with stress and focusing on my goals.
Kate in North Haven, CT – Jan 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Sheila Owen, LCSW?

How was your experience with Sheila Owen?

Sheila Owen is the principal therapist at PeachTree Counselling. She is a licensed clinical social worker and a licensed alcohol and drug counselor, and...Read more

The founding of Peachtree Counseling was the natural next step after twenty-eight years experience counselling women, men, youth, couples, and families...Read more

• Individual Counseling