Serap Kantarci, LMHC

Marriage & Family TherapyFemaleAge 45

Marriage & Family Therapy

Serap Kantarci, LMHC is a Marriage & Family Therapist in Cambridge, MA. Her office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Serap Kantarci, LMHC

17 Steps Counseling

129 Mount Auburn St Cambridge, MA 02138
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Marriage & Family Therapists in your area

"Founder of the Multicultural Mental Health Center- 17 Steps LLC"

- Serap Kantarci, LMHC

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

Traditional Therapy – done online

Traditional Therapy – done online

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Check if Serap Kantarci treats your condition or procedure

Serap Kantarci's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adolescent Depression
  • Marriage Break-Up
  • Mood and Adjustment Disorder
  • Mood Changes
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Personality Disorders
  • Self-Esteem Problems

Serap Kantarci accepts

Serap Kantarci accepts the following insurance:

HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Tufts Health Plan
Tufts Health Plans

Serap Kantarci's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Serap Kantarci

Serap Kantarci

Best of the best!
When I called Serap back in 2021, I was in deep deep depression of sweet postpartum and I wasn't even aware of it. Let me take this back now. The first time I interacted with Serap was back in 2020 when I had just given birth and when I barely had time to feed myself. Serap listened to me for an hour, just to comfort me, just to make me feel better even in that small amount of time. She never pressured me to start therapy and she always told me "When you are ready, I'll be here.". Even though she is a very busy therapist, I know that she deeply cared for me and she wanted me to feel better. Two years fast forward, I feel better than ever! I have the tools ready in my hand for the struggles of daily life and I never had to use any meds like my old therapist had pressured me to do so. Serap is an excellent therapist and human being, I would recommend her each and every day and again!
Lonely Bird – Jul 22, 2022
Excellent Therapist for Depression
I've had therapists for years now - in Los Angeles, in New York, in England,  all at the most educated level. There is always this clinical, professional, cold relationship, I've felt with my therapists, it's a transactional experience: I pay them, and in return, they give me 45 clinical minutes of their time, and not a minute over. But that never truly helped me, because what makes a good doctor is someone that makes you feel better, but what makes a great doctor: is someone that is so warmly human and goes above and beyond for the person you are. Serap is that person: when I go to her sessions, it is not an appointment, but that I've come home to a loving and warm relative that truly cares about me: the person, not only the patient. Our mental problems do not run on a 9 am to 5 pm, 45-minute schedule, and Serap is the only person I know that is available whenever her patients need her. She is the gold standard of therapists that everyone should aspire to be and learn from.
Liz – Jul 20, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
We consulted Serap due to problems in our relationship. Serap did an excellent job as a couples therapist, because ever since we are meeting her, our relationship has improved considerably and we are having less fights now. Her therapy has definitely changed my view on couples therapy (I had my doubts before we started the sessions) and I can definitely recommend her to every couple that is having relationship issues.
Jul 15, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Disappointed because of pressure to review
I only had some sessions with Serap which seemed they could really help because I have an international & intercultural background but she started pressuring me to write a review after the second session. I was not feeling ready to review her because I need more time to see a fit but she would send messages unsolicited asking for one. It made her work seem transactional. I think people should write a review because they feel they want to share their experience not because the provider pressures their therapy clients for one.
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Sad – Jul 14, 2022
Superb Therapist
Serap is a therapist who guides conversations and thought processes based on where a client is at. She is someone who has a good sense of humor which makes the session very enjoyable. Based on our session, Serap is also someone who is altruistic, has a big heart and has aspirations to give back to the community. Highly recommend if you’re looking for a therapist who is culturally very competent and funny!
Tenzin – Jul 12, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Serap is deeply devoted to her practice
Serap is a committed, caring, understanding, and flexible therapist. She has helped me overcome so many mental health challenges, empowering me to be in charge of my own life and make decisions on my own terms. She uses a variety of disciplines to find what works for you, so that your care is personalized and the most effective.
Cambridge Student – Jul 01, 2022
Serap is incredible!
I have only been working with Serap for a few months now, but the changes have been unreal. She has been so caring, attentive, and considerate with her time and effort, it's really difficult to overstate the impact it's had. I have been dealing with a lot (and I mean A LOT) of stress and anxiety over many changes in life, and dealing with them very poorly. Serap has been a revelation in terms of what working with a licensed professional can help with. I had to pack a lot of time with Serap over a short period, and she has been unbelievably attentive and accommodating. It has been a lot to go through and am so luck to have found Serap to help me with.
Benjamin – May 11, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
I look forward to my appointments with Serap! She always helps me feel comfortable in the office. It’s clear that she makes an effort to remember the events in my life, and each session we check up on long- and short-term problems. She has really helped me to understand the patterns and relationships in my life. More than anything, she makes me feel cared for and safe!
Katie – Apr 21, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Serap is very caring. She listens carefully and remembers even small details, which makes me feel that she is interested and invested in my life and my progress. She also uses innovative techniques to help me come to terms with the problems I face.
Apr 01, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Serap - the best therapist I've ever worked with!
I reached out to Serap when my health-related OCD and anxiety symptoms were interfering with my life and I was feeling terrible. With her bright and soothing energy, even after our first session, she made me realize the rabbit holes I was constantly falling into. It has been over 6 weeks now and I feel great! She has taught me a lot of different techniques that I can use to manage my OCD and anxiety. She is always very attentive during our sessions and she never forgets any detail related to my condition that I mention to her; this really helps because each week, we build on top of what we discussed in the previous weeks and I am truly feeling like I'm making progress! I am so glad I have found Serap and very grateful that I have been mentally improving ever since!
Mar 29, 2022
Warm, Welcoming, and Always There for You
I have been working with Serap for almost two years now. I have seen myself grow tremendously since I started seeing her. Before Serap, I tried online therapists and I found that they couldn't relate to my background as I am from a Turkish family and the difficulties that people from immigrant households face. I specifically sought a Turkish therapist and I am so glad I found Serap. I have been able to create boundaries within my familial and personal relationships, stand up for myself, reflect on my poor actions and decisions, and unlearn bad thoughts and habits. With Serap, I too have been able to discover part of my Turkish background that I was made to feel ashamed about growing up. Overall, my confidence, my happiness, and my mental framework have greatly improved since I started seeing Serap. I would recommend Serap to anyone who wants a therapist who will be there for you at zero notice, who will be a confidant, and a support. 10/10 the best decision.
LAE – Mar 11, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Serap is very warm and set me at ease as a first time patient in therapy. She helped me navigate a stressful period during my academic career with a customized approach that showed a clear understanding and respect for my cultural background. Serap employs nontraditional approaches during her sessions that helped me practice self-care and reflect on my priorities in a meaningful way.
Feb 25, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
I want to start by saying Serap is like a caring aunt and a great therapist for many. But, in my sessions she didn’t have boundaries- CRITICAL for the trauma I told her I wanted to focus on. We regularly went over time unplanned and the majority of the time she spoke about her life. She said I was fine when I came in with a clear trauma diagnosis. There was only one session after months where she ever asked about my trauma - she made visibly shocked faced which made me feel dirty, and she never followed up. I had to continuously advocate for myself as a patient and she would agree with me, but then do talk therapy every week. She told me multiple times she didn’t know how to help me. What was I to do with that as a patient? I felt broken. The reality is I knew more about her than she knew about me. I left the experience discouraged from trauma therapy. She is a great therapist for other people as these reviews show, but based on my experience, I cannot recommend her for trauma work.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Feb 20, 2022
I have no idea about who you are but definitely...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Due to very bad experiences with counselors in the past, one of my biggest problems was a distrust and fear of therapists. Serap quickly put me at ease. Her individualized approach and genuine care for me as a person helped me immensely as I faced many personal challenges while keeping up an intense academic schedule. She is the best!
Heather – Feb 17, 2022
Serap inspires hope
Talking with Serap this past year has been extremely helpful. I stumbled on Serap after trying out another therapist who gave me pages upon pages of worksheets that just left me feeling more stressed. Serap is the opposite. She customizes her treatment according to my needs and really hears me during our sessions. Moreso, she's inspired me—someone who always considered themselves a rational realist—to adopt a more self-loving, optimistic attitude, and the benefits of doing so are already evident in my life. I would encourage anyone looking for a warm, welcoming therapist to reach out to Serap. After seeing the first therapist, I was worried therapy wasn't for me, but Serap has shown me the opposite is true, and that anyone can benefit from therapy if guided by the right person.
Feb 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Serap has helped me see the places where I had been in my own way. With patience, acceptance and a genuine motivation to help, she has listened carefully as I've related my pain and confusion. With her special blend of humor, candidness, caring and vivid analogy, she has helped me look deeply at the truth of my situation. She is a wise and generous counselor, and has helped me take steps forward into a more self-responsible and genuine relationship to life.
Chad – Dec 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Serap is amazing! I have seen several therapists throughout my life and Serap is by far the best! She is so kind, knowledgable, and understanding. She has a great sense of humor and makes you feel like you are talking to a good friend. I have seen great improvements in myself since I have started seeing her for therapy. I would 100% recommend her to anyone and everyone!
Dec 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
Serap is a beacon of calm, wise clarity as she helps me to navigate an extremely stressful time in my marriage. Serap is an excellent listener and shares very relevant examples that help to keep me focused on the big picture. We developed a rapport very quickly given her buoyant, optimistic spirit and I feel she truly cares about my situation. Serap continues to be a quick study of people and situations and draws on a wide range of personalities, dynamics, and experiences. I would not hesitate to recommend Serap for marriage and individual therapy.
Michael – Dec 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
I have been with Serap for the past seven months. I’m glad I found a therapist who is passionate about what she does. Serap is a smart, kind person that has very effective approaches to deal with a wide range of personal problems such as eating disorders, anxiety, and family/marriage issues. She is exceptional in narrowing down and explaining the patterns behind your issues and empowering you with the tools to handle them. I’m always impressed by her good memory and capacity to interrelate your issues to make you see the root causes. With her, I know I have somebody that sees my best self and work hard to get me there. Sessions with her are so pleasant that I always look forward to them. I would recommend her 10/10 to anyone.
Nov 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?
I have been working with Serap for the past year . We are working together about learning to deal with my past experiences as a child, growing up at different homes and how to come to terms with all the emotional toll it has taken. I have not dealt with it since I was a child and Serap teaching me how to let it go and come to terms with it. She is also helping me deal with my relationships at home with my husband and children. She is so easy to talk to, helps and guides me dealing with my emotional stress. She has given me a book to read and always sending articles, and other material to read so that I can understand the issues and deal with them appropriately. I am so happy that we found her. She is not only a therapist but has become a friend. She also understands my background coming from another culture and incorporates it into helping me deal with my feelings, anxiety. I highly recommend her as a therapist.
Oct 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Serap Kantarci, LMHC?

How was your experience with Serap Kantarci?