Richard Conant, MA

Richard Conant, MA

Counseling  |
Male
Richard Conant, MA is a counseling provider who practices in Sanford, ME. He has been practicing for 27 years. Read his story

12 Pleasant Ave

Sanford, ME 04073

• AvMed
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
  • Health Net

Learn about Richard Conant

Richard Conant's bio

This content was provided by Richard Conant "In 1982 I started out counseling in a small practice in Pasadena, Texas with Robert McGee, author of Search for Significance. He was my mentor for 4 years. He then started Rapha, an inpatient Christian psychiatric program. I left my full time job to become the Director of the outpatient counseling offices. The Houston Center for Christian Counseling grew and now has over 35 therapists and 8 receptionists, the largest outpatient clinic of its kind in the Houston area. HCCC was sold and my wife (Beverly Conant, LCPC) and I moved to Kittery, Maine in 2011 and established Conant Associates, LLC - an outpatient counseling practice seeing children, adolescents and adults. We are both licensed as LCPC in the State of Maine. In October 2014, we bought a house in Sanford, Maine and moved our practice there. It is now known as Pleasant Avenue Family Counseling. We have been joined by Chad Delassandri, LCPC-C. I see those 17 and above for areas including depression, A.D.D., anxiety, trauma related experiences (PTSD), grief, relationship concerns, vocational issues, family problems, couples therapy and other issues. I admire those who have an innate resilience. I appreciate being "invited" into someone's life at those critical periods when times are tough. I intervene by trying to help generate options for handling various situations. Many times it isn't so much trying to figure out what to do with someone else as much as it is exploring what is going on within ourselves. When we gain new perspectives some of the cobwebs clear and we see things with a clearer vision. I work 3 days each week: Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 8pm. I can be reached via phone (207-475-4156); fax (916-674-9715); text message (207-475-4156), email dconant1@roadrunner.com; or leave a message on our website: www.familycounselingmaine.com. I will return messages quickly; or at least that's my intent. I don't like to keep people waiting for long periods of time because I don't care for that type of treatment myself. "

This content was provided by Richard Conant "Many that come to see me know what to do but for one reason or another cannot seem to do it.  So in therapy we explore the blockages and the destructive patterns that keep them stuck and try to discuss why those have been needed.

On occasion with those that like to read I may give homework assignments involving reading material relevant to the individual's situation or going through an interactive workbook.  The material simply sheds additional "light" on the person's life and the various ways difficult situations can be handled.

Certainly a key to any solid therapy is listening – not only with your ears but with your heart; listening to what is being said, the way it is being said, the reason for saying it and what is not being said.  All these contribute to the understanding that the therapist gains in working with a person.  I find that people are startled by some of the observations I'm able to make just from listening to them.  That's one of the factors that makes therapy a worthwhile experience is the feedback, the insight and the objectivity the person can get from the therapist.

By the time an individual calls me for a first appointment they may have been struggling as to whether they should call for weeks or even months.  When they build up enough courage to dial my number I want to either answer my phone when they call or get back to them as quickly as I can after a message is left.  I never take for granted the amount of time, courage, energy and money that my folks have given to their therapy sessions.  All are treated with dignity, compassion and respect. "

• Counseling
  • Christian Counseling
  • Grief and Bereavement
  • Individual Counseling
  • Marriage & Family Therapy

Richard Conant does not have any board certifications listed.

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Behavioral Disorders
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Grief
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Relationship Issues
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Stress

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Marital Therapy
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Relaxation Therapy
  • Stress Management

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maine.

• University Of New Hampshire
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1969
  • Liberty University (Graduate Degree In Counseling)
    Medical School | Graduated 1990
  • Houston Center For Christian Counseling
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1991
  • Liberty University-Post Graduate Education
    Other Education | Completed 1991

Richard Conant has no awards or honors listed.

Richard Conant has no media or publications listed.

Richard Conant does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Richard Conant and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Richard Conant's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Are you Richard Conant?