Dr. Raymond Scurfield, DSW

Dr. Raymond Scurfield, DSW

Psychotherapy  ·
Dr. Raymond Scurfield, DSW is a psychotherapist in Gulfport, MS. He specializes in psychotherapy, counseling, and more.Read his story

15465 Oak Ln Ste 100G

Gulfport, MS 39503

• Ambetter
  • CareSource
  • First Choice Health
  • Medicare

Learn about Dr. Scurfield

Dr. Scurfield's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Scurfield "I was born in Chicago on August 3, 1943, and raised in Elizabeth, a small town 16 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, PA. I graduated in 1965 from Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA (BA: Sociology/Anthropology) and was a Distinguished Military Graduate. Army ROTC. I received a two-year deferment from active duty to complete my MSW studies at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles (1965-67). I entered active duty in June, 1967, completed Medical Service Corps Officer's Basic Training at Ft. Sam Houston. Antonio (summer, 1967), and my initial PCS was as a clinical social work officer at the William Beaumont General Hospital, El Paso. TX (1967-68). I then served one year as the Social Work Officer on one of the Army's two psychiatric teams in Vietnam (March, 1968-March, 1969). Then I was the chief social work officer, psychiatric ward, at the Valley Forge Army General Hospital near Philadelphia, for four months. I extended my active duty commitment and served as the Chief, Army Community Service, in Okinawa and was discharged from active duty in March, 1971. Also, while stationed on Okinawa, I was the HOLT Korean Adoption Program social worker, placing Korean orphans with American military families stationed on Okinawa (1969-71). I worked in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for 25 years (1971-72; 1974-1992). My leadership positions included: Director, Vietnam Veterans Resocialization Unit, Brentwood VA Hospital, West Los Angeles (1979-81), the first National Assistant Director for Counseling, Vet Center Program (Readjustment Counseling Service, VA Central Office in Washington, D.C. (1982-85). the founding director of the American Lake VA Post-Traumatic Stress Treatment Program, Tacoma, WA (1985-91), and the founding director of the VA's National Center for PTSD, Pacific Islands Division, Honolulu, HI (1992-97). I was a professor of social work, University of Southern Mississippi (1998-2011), at both the Gulf Park and Hattiesburg campuses, teaching mostly mental health and clinical courses for MSW students. I received some 15 teaching and service awards during my faculty career, to include being named a "Hero of Katrina" for my PTSD work with many students, staff and faculty following the destruction of our Gulf Park Campus on August 29, 2005. I retired from USM in 2011, and began my private practice at that time. Finally, I have been the "external consultant" to the Biloxi VA Vet Center since 2012, providing clinical and programmatic consultation on a monthly basis. My wife, Margaret (also a MSW social worker) and I have been married since August 1, 1981, and we have three terrific thirty-something ...:) adult children: Helani, Armand and Nick. Our family is faith-based. I was raised Syrian-Orthodox until converting to Roman Catholic in middle school. I also have read a bit about Hinduism and Buddhism and Far East cultures, and I was initially trained in Transcendental Meditation in 1977-78, to include completing some six weeks of residential Siddhi training. My latest (and seventh book total) (NASW Press, in press 2018) is: Faith & Non-Faith Based Meditation: Practical, Creative & Post-Traumatic Applications. For Providers, Their Patients and Clients. I have received many awards and honors over the years, to include: (1) Olin E Teague award (1988), the prestigious national V.A. Award for my accomplishments in PTSD with war veterans; "your accomplishments in treating PTSD have become hallmarks in psychiatry." (President Ronald Regan) 2) Mississippi Social Worker of the Year (2006) for my post-Katrina clinical and organizational work with Katrina survivors; 3) Fellow, American Institute of Stress. Two issues of the American Institute of Stress Combat Stress magazine were dedicated to my work and accomplishments (February & April, 2015) (4) National NASW Lifetime Achievement Awardee (2012) for my research, writing, clinical and educational accomplishments."

This content was provided by Dr. Scurfield "I am a Doctor of Social Work (Univ of So Calif) LCSW. My approach is based on my education, faith & life experiences: Vietnam vet, 25-year VA career, i.e., founding Director, Nat'l Center for PTSD, Honolulu; 13-year faculty at USM (Prof Emeritus of SW) & Katrina survivor. I am nationally-recognized in trauma & associated mood/anxiety/guilt/sub abuse, authored 6 books; grounded in Gestalt, Humanistic/Positive Psychology/CBT & meditation to enhance awareness, choices, life/work/school satisfaction"

• Psychotherapy
  • Grief and Bereavement
  • Individual Counseling
  • Psychological Trauma
  • Social Work

Dr. Scurfield does not have any board certifications listed.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Crisis Intervention
  • Grief Therapy
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Stress Management

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Mississippi.

• Dickinson College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1965
  • University Of Southern California Dsw Program
    Other Education | Completed 1979
  • University Of Southern California Msw Program
    Other Education | Completed 1967

Dr. Scurfield has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Scurfield has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Scurfield does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Scurfield and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Scurfield's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Scurfield to family and friends

Dr. Scurfield's Performance

Dr. Ray is an amazing person to go thru the therapy process with. Truly the best therapist I've ever worked with.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
I feel truly blessed to have met Dr. Ray Scurfield, with so many past bad experiences with therapists he has been a breath of fresh air. He is easy to talk with and very personable. I feel like my sessions and treatment plans are specific to my personal needs and are ideal for personal growth in my...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Are you Dr. Scurfield?

Nearby providers with similar experience

Addiction Medicine