Dr. Ranjan Patel, PSY.D

Dr. Ranjan Patel, PSY.D

Psychotherapy  ·
Female  ·
Dr. Ranjan Patel, PSY.D is a psychotherapist in Burlingame, CA. She graduated from California Institute Of Integral Studies and specializes in psychotherapy.Read her story

1838 El Camino Real Ste 220

Burlingame, CA 94010

Learn about Dr. Patel

Dr. Patel's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Patel "ACADEMIC BACKGROUND I hold a Bachelors (BA) in Philosophy and Psychology, a Masters (MA) in Counseling Psychology, and a Doctorate (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology. Via the Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBSE), I am licensed in CA as a Marriage Family Therapist (MFT), though I do as much individual therapy. I'm a clinical member of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT), a member of the Association For Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS), and a member of the Depth Psychology Alliance. As well, I'm a member of: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy, and Mindfulness for Chronic Pain and Illness subgroups at the UCSD Center for Mindfulness. I am also Certified as a Professional Life Coach, and a member of iCOACH International (ICI). CLINICAL TRAINING I have 35 years experience in the mental health field (including internships), having worked in a wide variety of settings, with different populations. Among them: community residential treatment centers for geriatric patients, day programs in psychotic milieu therapy, and outpatient clinics for addictions/brief therapy. I've designed and implemented psychotherapy protocols for residential adolescent programs. I've had extensive experience doing cognitive-behavior interventions at a San Francisco depression and anxiety treatment center for adults (in individual, couples, and family modalities). I've conducted a host of educational and therapeutic groups, as well as working in a hospital setting for clinical research, including supervising interns. Recently, as cutting edge intervention for anxiety/panic symptoms, for applications to medicine–illness/pain, and for achieving optimal sports performance, I've trained in mindfulness practices, including but not limited to, meditation. I provide life coaching for individuals. Currently, I work exclusively in private practice with individuals and couples, and have been doing so for 30 years. I serve as guest on television and radio about psychotherapy, teach mindfulness and meditation, and write articles for newsletters/websites about mental health topics. I also provide court-mandated therapy. I am bilingual, and provide psychotherapy in the Indian dialect, Gujarati. For a detailed description and itemized list of issues I've had experience with, please visit my website. COMMUNITIES OF INTEREST/PURPOSE/PRACTICE Inasmuch as social responsibility cannot exist merely as ideology, nor as value in vacuum, and must be buttressed with action, I'm passionate about current interdisciplinary research inquiry into the well-being of society as a whole, e.g. scientific systems devoted to understanding the interplay of compassionate individuals, strong social bonds, and altruistic behavior. As such, I'm committed to serving the 'greater good:' I organize free local monthly support groups for those living with chronic pain/illness. I serve as resource for a nonprofit organization, dedicated to reducing stigma and increasing awareness about emotional health. "

This content was provided by Dr. Patel "WHY I BECAME A THERAPIST

I'm in love with people, passionate about doing excellent psychotherapy.  We are our biggest critic. I help you befriend yourself; this touches every aspect of who you are in the world. Doing therapy is not a 'job' for me. It's who I am. It's a way of Being; I'm with you, my client, in the way I most treasure, creating a safe, sacred space for you to reveal who you are. As you bare vulnerable emotional skin, I relate to you authentically, honestly, gently. As we work toward your goals, I feel honored you allow me into your life, and share who you are. It's my privilege to understand you. You're reading these words: this means some part of you wants to change--this takes guts, and I'm blown away by your bravery. I hope to earn your trust that I will support and guide you toward a richer life. For over 35 years, I've literally loved my clients, and along the way, racked up a wealth of training and experience in multiple mental health contexts."

• Psychotherapy

Dr. Patel does not have any board certifications listed.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling for Gay and-or Lesbian Individuals
  • Couples Therapy
  • Group Psychotherapy
  • Individual Therapy
  • Marital and Family Psychotherapy
  • Mindfulness Meditation
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
  • Psychodynamic Therapy

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of San Francisco
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Bay Area Depression and Anxiety Treatment Center
  • Rypins House--Progress Foundation
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Patel has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Patel has no media or publications listed.

• Gujarati
  • Hindi

Dr. Patel does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Patel and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Patel's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Patel to family and friends

Dr. Patel's Performance

I tried several psychotherapists for depression, anxiety/panic attacks, and relationship/intimacy issues, sadly, could not establish a meaningful connection with the therapist. After going through Dr. Patel's website, I was impressed with the in-depth info and empathic tone of her content. Well,...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Thank-you, Joe, for your kind feedback. I'm glad you're feeling this positive "shift!"

My husband and I were struggling with in laws and our children. Dr. Patel did couples and family therapy and even though it too longer than we wanted (about 4 months), it was worth it, cuz we have a lot of tools to talk about when we get upset. She was also flexible with her style and made a...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Sheila, it was a pleasure working with all of you--and I'm happy you're all doing better with each other :-)

Wow, she really is sympathetic and very friendly and waaay helpful. I've only gone a few times for my panic attacks, but already I see the difference--thanks Dr. Patel!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0

So happy for you that's you're feeling better--and thank-you for taking the time to write this review :-)

We've gone to her a couple of times for communication issues, and we're shocked at how quickly she gets to the root of stuff--we're a lot of happier with each other.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Pauline--I'm so happy that you're both getting along better!

Dr. Patel was very efficient in teaching me ways to better handle my long standing depression and I still use all the therapy stuff--very happy with all the tips!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Thank-you for the feedback . . . I'm thrilled you're feeling better!

Nearby providers with similar experience

Psychotherapy