Dr. Paul Sommer, DPM

Dr. Paul Sommer, DPM

Podiatric Foot & Ankle Surgery  ·
Dr. Paul Sommer, DPM is a podiatric foot & ankle surgery specialist in Valparaiso, IN and has been practicing for 30 years. He graduated from Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science / Chicago Medical School in 1988 and specializes in podiatric foot & ankle surgery and podiatric surgery.Read his story

1610 Pointe Dr Ste C

Valparaiso, IN 46383

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • Sagamore Health Network

Learn about Dr. Sommer

See how frequently Dr. Sommer performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Foot Conditions
Achilles Tendinitis
high
Plantar Fasciitis
high

Dr. Sommer's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Sommer's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Sommer "I have not really known a time in my life where I did not want to be a doctor. I still have the book that I have had since the third grade that change my life and ignited a passion to know how the human body worked and how it at times did not work so well. In that same grade, on my own, I was dissecting frogs with a text book opened right next to me. So I have no question whatsoever that science and medicine is my calling. I grew up in the same town where I now practice medicine. I graduated from Valparaiso high school where I swam on the swim team with the legendary coach Skip Bird. As many in this area know, he was a life-changing man. From athletics to building self esteem to academics, there was never a better coach and much of what I have accomplished In life I owe to the Skipper. From there I went on to graduate with a double major in Biology and Psychology and premed from Depauw University in Greencastle Indiana. I went on to study at the best Podiatry school in the nation in downtown Chicago. Following that I completed a residency in foot surgery and decided I wanted to come back to Valparaiso to start my practice. I have been involved in endurance sports for most of my life including 30 years of competing in triathlons in everything from sprint distance to the Hawaii Ironman. Needless to say, much of my experience in endurance sports has made it quite easy to understand pain and suffering and what the human body is capable of doing both to endure and to heal itself along with a little scientific wisdom. I have been on staff at Porter Hospital since 1991 and was also involved for years and the wound care center. I am married to my beautiful soulmate, and have tried to be a good father to my children. I have a great life but I hope that my children's accomplishments and fulfillment in life outshines even mine. My interests besides my practice and family life and fitness, includes a passion for reading and learning for the rest of my life. Sometimes people of joke that my expense account for books is like a car payment. I love studying biology and physics, philosophy and theology, history and biography. There's not much room at all for fiction books in my life, because my attitude is, this life is so short I have to know everything there is about the universe before I die. I know much of that doesn't sound like it has anything to do with being a podiatrist, but I want podiatry to be something that I do, and do with excellence, but it is not my life. I always want my biography to reflect the fact that I had a passion and thirst for all of life and all of the beautiful and wondrous things this one life gives us. "

This content was provided by Dr. Sommer "We know how difficult it is to be in pain. Relief is your first priority and so it is our first priority! We want to see you free of foot and ankle problems not only as soon as possible, but also in the long run. We try to equip you in the long run to help yourself and to be free of injuries, diseases, and other problems of the foot and ankle. We also realize and make it a priority to remember that feet and ankles don't walk into our office, people do. We treat every patient as a whole person, and so our approach to medicine treats the entire person. We work with you to make sure the gains we have made in your health last for years. Exercise, Nutrition, and Lifestyle all impact your feet. We also realize that you have had your feet for a lot longer than we have! In many ways, you know your feet better then we do, so we listen to you and use your feedback. And lastly, there is a reason we call ourselves Family Foot and Ankle Clinic. Because we are family and so are you! Come in and see!"

• Podiatric Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Posterior Heel Spur Surgery
  • Sports Medicine Related Procedures
  • Sports Medicine Surgery
  • Wound Care and Management

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Indiana.

• Depauw University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1983
  • Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science / Chicago Medical School
    Medical School | Graduated 1988
  • Mountain City Hosp-E Tenn State U

Dr. Sommer has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Sommer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sommer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sommer's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sommer

3.7

Dr. Sommer?
Dr. Sommer's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Paul Sommer, DPM
Had hammertoe surgery. Everything turned out great. Dr S is a very good surgeon. Staff was very nice and helpful. Highly recommend this Dr.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Sommer, DPM?

How was your experience with Dr. Sommer?