Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Orrin Franko, MD
Dr. Orrin Franko, MD is a board-eligible orthopaedic surgeon with a specialty in complex hand and upper extremity surgery. He treats all bone and joint conditions of the body, including arthritis, fractures, dislocations, ligament injuries, sprains and strains. His specialty focus in upper extremity includes the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, arthritis of the thumb/hand/wrist, and accidents such as fractures, nerve, tendon, and nail injuries.

13690 E 14th St

San Leandro, CA 94578

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Blue Shield of California

Learn about Dr. Franko

• Patients are Partners.  I believe that patients play a critical role in determining their treatment.  All patients receive a thorough evaluation that includes learning about your injury, as well as your personal interests, occupation, hobbies, and lifestyle – factors that influence selecting an individualized treatment plan.
  • I treat Patients, not Xrays.  While imaging, such as xrays, CT scans, and MRIs have the ability to help identify problems and sources of pain, I focus on addressing each patient's concerns and fears.  Treatment will be focused on you, not your test results.
  • Not all Patients require Surgery.  Sometimes the best treatment is not surgery.  As my mentor Peter Stern says, "When a surgeon tells you not to have surgery, there's a message."  I always consider the side effects and complications of surgery, and any recommendation for surgical treatment involves a careful consideration of both the risks and benefits.

Dr. Franko's Experience

Dr. Franko's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery

Dr. Franko does not have any board certifications listed.

• Broken Arm
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hip Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist

• Hand and Wrist Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Hip Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Hip Replacement
  • Neuroplasty

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of California At San Diego
  • University Of California, San Diego-Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2015
  • Mary S. Stern Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2016

Dr. Franko has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Franko has no media or publications listed.

• California Orthopaedic Association, Member

Dr. Franko's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Franko to family and friends
Dr. Franko's Performance
rodeo |
Had so much pain in my hand when I walked in I was unable to use my hand. One week later, I was able to resume most things. Six weeks later and I'm as good as new! Great office. Great doctor.
in Hayward, CA |
This is the second time I have gotten an injection for my carpal tunnel in my wrists. The first lasted about 11 months and the pain is totally gone. I have the same results with this second injection. Dr Franko was very kind and understanding about my fears.
in SanOakland, CA |
I enjoyed Dr. Franko's professional assessment of my condition. He took the time to explain the problem and its various treatment options. I would definitely recommend Dr. Franko to anyone needing an orthopedic specialist.
in Hayward |
I visited Dr. Franko recently for an existing shoulder pain and tennis elbow that keeps flaring up. He was very knowledgeable and honest with his findings. The professionalism I received was great!
San Mateo, CA |
Very good visit with Dr. Franko.
in San Leandro, CA |
Dr. Franko was a God-send, after a serious injury I suffered to my left index finger. Having completely severed the tendon in the finger, I thought I might lose it, but Dr. Franko`s skill and expertise have me on the road to a Great Recovery !!!! The man is not just my Doctor. He is my Friend.
in Hayward, CA |
Dr. Franko has provided excellent care to our elderly grandmother who had a hip and leg fracture. His office has been very friendly and flexible as we had to re-schedule our appointment several times. Highly recommended to anyone!
in Hayward, CA |
i happened to have the chance to meet him in the emergency room and he had me in for surgery within the week! explained everything every step of the way which was very comforting. very positive and encouraging, even let me choose the music to play when i went under. most importantly, he fixed my hand! i thought i would be disabled forever but i am back to work at 100%! 15/10 stars would recommend to anyone who happened to need a hand surgeon.
in Paradise ca 95969 |
I was very happy with the care Dr. Franko provided. He was professional yet caring. I had the upmost confidence with Dr. Franko performing my surgery. I've had prior surgeries and by far this one was the best experience.
in Oakland, CA |
I had a very good experience here would definitely recommend him.very knowledgeable and staff very friendly 5 stars ??
in San Leandro, CA |
I felt listened to and cared for. Dr. Franko took the time to explain everything to me and answered any questions I had with incredible knowledge without making me feel rushed. Surgery was not required at this time. He gave me a cortisone shot instead. But if I end up needing surgery, I'll want him to do the it.
in San Leandro, CA |
The pain in my wrist was not getting any better. The ER visit did not help. The Dr. made little effort to treat beyond x-ray (not broken) and sold me a $200 brace. Dr, Frank got to the root of the problem and offered an elegant solution: The pain is gone. Dr. Franko treated the problem appropriately and made sure I understood the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. He's a rare breed of professional mixed with personal. In short: a true physician.
in Hayward |
I would refer my friends and family to Dr Franko without hesitation. My experience with Dr. Franko has been excellent! He is an intelligent man, shows real concern, excellent communicator and creates a relaxed environment where you feel at ease to communicate with him. I came away confident in his opinion and on top of all that the office experience is very positive.
in Livermore, CA |
I shattered my finger, and Dr Franko advised that surgery was needed and he was very confident in his ability to repair my finger. He was very professional, informative, and confident. My finger is now mobile with minor pain and almost full mobility after only one month.
in Castro Valley, CA |
Great service!! Had trigger finger in my left thumb. One shot & it is cleared up. Also carpel tunnel in both hands. Wearing braces at night has helped immensely.
in Pleasanton, CA |
In February 2017, I fell on a rain-slick sidewalk and badly fractured my right wrist. My doctor recommended that I consult with Dr. Franko, one of the best hand/wrist doctors in the East Bay. I was 100% satisfied. Dr. Franco performed surgery and closely followed my recovery until my bones had healed perfectly. Dr. Franco is bright, friendly, and patient. He always explains things clearly and concisely and makes sure he's fully answered all of my questions.
in Hayward, CA |
I had a very positive experience with Dr. Franko while being treated for a distal radius fracture. He did a very good job explaining the X-rays and CT-scan and justifying his decision not to do surgery, so I felt very comfortable with the decision. He didn't require the cast any longer than necessary which allowed me to use the split sooner than anticipated which made it a lot easier to take showers and scratch when necessary.
in San Leandro, CA |
Dr.Franco is awesome, I was treated with full care and very pleased with my experience .He is very knowledgeable and very professional. I appreciate his follow up email and phone call and he really cares for his patient. All his medical staff are very friendly and helpful. I was very well taken care of and truly impressed.
in Hayward, CA |
For someone that I met in less than ideal circumstances after a traumatic accident, I could not have chosen a better orthopedic surgeon to reconstruct my shattered elbow and guide me through the rehabilitation process. Dr. Franko explained all the procedures very clearly and made himself available to fully answer any questions. My recovery has gone well so far, with excellent results and no complications.
in Castro Valley, CA |
Dr. Franko was very good at explaining my condition to me and giving me the options to treat it as well. He's very friendly and easy to talk to, and I was seen in a timely fashion. He gave me my treatment and within 10 minutes of that I was on my way. Hopefully I don't have to see him again for trigger finger or tennis elbow, but if necessary, I would not hesitate.
in Pleasanton, CA |
Dr. Franko conducted a surgery on my left hand. I would say, the most memorizable part of the surgery is the feeling of assurance he brought to me, starting from diagnosis to operation. His thorough thinking process, acute sense of the problem, steady hand, extensive knowledge, and sense of humor, made the surgery a very confident journey. I trust him 100%.
in Piedmont , Ca. |
Dr. Franko is a charming and capable surgeon. He is relaxed and friendly with his patients and I have complete confidence in his ability as a surgeon.
in San Leandro, CA |
Dr. Franco is friendly, professional and very knowledgeable and met the needs of my situation. Would recommend Dr. Franco to others and and certainly go back if need be. ??
in Oakland, CA |
My consultation with Dr. Franko was so welcoming. He was very thorough and able to diagnose what countless other Dr.'s & a workers comp Surgeon couldn't. I felt very informed and satisfied with the outcome of my consultation including his referral to a Kaiser surgeon. Thank you again for everything you did today and explaining to me what is going on in my wrist.
Oakland, CA |
Dr. Franko was fast, knowledgeable and friendly. The staff at the office are very friendly and welcoming.
Hayward, CA |
One Friday night, I chopped off the tip of my middle finger. I brought the amputated chunk to the ER that night, hoping they would sew it back on. They told me all they could do was stop the bleeding (NOOOO! Super sad face filled with tears), so they sent me home in bandages and recommended I see Dr. Franko. Couple days later, I was admitted to Dr. F's; he highly suggested a V to Y flap surgery, immediately, to avoid bone infection and a possible abnormal looking finger. Surgery was quick; I thi
in Castro Valley |
I would for sure refer Dr. Franko to my friends and family. I injured my shoulder and had to go see him. They got me in right away and pinpointed the problem and cured me of my pain within a couple weeks. Not to mention it's always nice when you have a doctor who is very nice and nice to look at! Everyone who works in the office is very helpful and always friendly and the office is always kept clean. You have an injury go see Dr. Franko or Stein they're GREAT!
Hayward, CA |
Dr. Franko fixed my broken wrist through surgery. He was very attentive to my concerns and explained the options very well. Due to his good work, I believe the healing process and use of my hand have been quite a bit quicker than average.
in Hayward, CA |
Dr. Franko is amazing.My surgery was fast and somewhat painless. The follow up care was great and I was very happy with his staff and nurses.
Hayward, CA |
Have you ever had the experience of just knowing that someone is confident in their abilities? That's what it's like to meet Dr. Franko. After breaking my wrist at work I learned I'd benefit from surgery. My anxiety kicked in as the surgery drew near. But each time I met with Dr. Franko, my anxieties subsided as he was extremely efficient and effective at managing my injury. Surgery day, I relaxed, knowing I was in good hands. My recovery was so quick afterward! My health & flexibility are back.
in Palo Alto, CA |
Dr. Franko operated on my broken wrist 5 weeks ago. He was clear and thorough about what the surgery would entail, which helped to ease my anxiety. I've met with him twice for check-ups since the surgery, and both times he has been very kind and encouraging about the progress. He's great at answering questions and explaining what is going on inside the body. The women who work at the front desk are sweet and helpful as well. I would definitely recommend!
in San Leandro,CA |
i enjoyed Dr. Franko he is very professional and Very easy to talk too. I like that he goes over everything with you an don't hesitate to listen and answer all your questions. I went in very worried as of I fractured my hip. He reassured me that it would heal, it would take a little time. As of over a month and half I'm doing pretty good. Still standing for awhile still gives me pain and bending and lifting can't do a lot, so just a little worried about going back to work soon is worrying me.
in san jose, ca |
i enjoyed Dr. Franko he is very professional and pleasant. He was clear on the treatment and recovery. I actually had three procedures done. However some of the office staff will leave a bitter taste. If you can get pass them you will be find.
in san leandro, CA |
I visited Dr. Franko this morning for a knee injury. He was meticulous and extremely thorough with his evaluation and instantly made me feel at ease. Dr. Franko is incredibly knowledgable and is by far one of the kindest and most compassionate surgeons I have ever seen. I would highly recommend his services!
in Winters |
I saw Dr Franko for the first time, this month. He was fabulous. His explanation
in San Leandro, CA |
I think Dr. Franco is a good doctor and am sure that any and all future visits will be the same would highly recommend him to anyone
Santa Cruz, CA |
Dr.Franco did a great job on my surgery and is a very caring and nice doctor. We drive an hour and a half to see him but he's definitely worth it.
Castro Valley, CA |
Very talented surgeon who provides excellent results. Very dedicated to his craft, I feel that I was very lucky to have gotten Dr. Franko as my surgeon in an emergency situation. I had the best outcome possible considering that I foolishly broke my arm so badly. Thank you Dr. Franko! Also very talented in the sewing department, I have the nicest tidiest scar that I'm pretty sure will go away quickly.
in Hayward, CA |
I would recommend Dr. Franko to family and friends due to his knowledge, kindness and sense of humor towards his patients. During my two visits Dr. Franko displayed a professional attitude and easily approachable with questions and concerns.
in Oakland, CA |
I saw Dr. Franko for a recurring and extremely painful rotator cuff injury. He was sympathetic and engaged as I explained my history. He viewed earlier MRI images and the first thing he said was "I don't think you need surgery". Instead, he prescribed gentle physical therapy, reassuring me that this should help me tremendously. It did. After 4 weeks I was much better and he approved more therapy until I felt completely healed. He was kind, thorough, informative and professional.
in Alameda, CA |
Dr. Franko is AMAZING! After a serious accident Dr. Franko needed authorization to perform emergency surgery on my badly broken (shattered I heard) wrist; my hand was dangling from my arm. I prayed and my prayers were indeed answered. Three months after surgery, healing and physical therapy from EBHMC, I have use of my hand. Dr. Franco was gentle, kind and understood my worry. His excellent surgeon’s knowledge and skills saved my HAND! I whole-heartedly recommend him and EBHMC's PT!
in Richmond, CA |
The entire staff was professional, friendly and helpful. Their positive, courteous manner and knowledgable information made my visit all the more pleasant. Dr. Franko provided valuable diagrams and explanations of my diagnosis which gave me clear and definitive options for an informed decision. His expertise with cortisone injections, as compared to my experience at another hand specialist office, was positive,resulting in relief of pain with the ability to close my fingers.
in San Ramon, CA |
Dr. Franko is an excellent doctor. Very knowledgeable and caring. He spent a lot of time with me insuring I understood everything and was satisfied with my treatment. He even followed up with me twice while I was at home recuperating.
in SAN Leandro, CA |
Dr. Franko wa the covering orthopedic surgeon at Eden Medical Center when I was seen in the ER for a complex ankle fracture. His care and surgical competence have been outstanding. He is compassionate, skilled and innovative. He listens and involves the patient in care decisions. I am making excellent progress under his care and I highly recommend him
in Berkeley, Ca |
I had a great experience with Dr.Franco. I broke my wrist and after meeting with him, decided on surgery. It was very successful and I now have full use of my wrist, 6 weeks post surgery, and a very neat little scar. I would recommend him to anyone, he is extremely competent.
in Hayward, CA |
Dr. Franko was kind and considerate he listened to my concerns and was very though with his examination and his diagnosis. I would highly recommend Dr. Franko to any one who in need of a very competent Dr.
in San Leandro, ca |
On my first visit with DR. Franko i was very satisfied just listening to him about my hand problem. I trust in him and hope to have the surgery done shortly. I believe in him completely. He IS the Doctor i need for my problem,and will always do so. Thank you DR FRANKO, i am looking forward to seeing you in the short future . Sincerely, James D. Muir
I was very pleased at how he explained everything to me. On what my options were. He was very thorough about my treatments. Thank you Dr. Franko for treating my hand.
in HAYWARD, CA |
I recently had a serious infection that led to my knee joint becoming septic and a serious medical issue. I was rushed to the ER on a Friday night and even though Dr. Franko specializes in hands, he took on my case extremely short notice and upon seeing how much discomfort I was in, reassured me everything was going to be ok, and he actually preformed the operation at 3am in order to reduce the pain I was in. He then went above and beyond and came to visit me every morning I was in the hospital
in Castro Valley, CA |
Met with Dr. Franko 9/6/2016 concerning an elbow as well as hand issue. He listened attentively, explained what he thought were the issues, and then made recommendations. He took x-rays and described what we were viewing. He was sympathetic and made me feel comfortable. I will gladly recommend his services. Mary
Thank you! It is always my pleasure taking care of patients.
Have you seen Dr. Orrin Franko, MD?

Visit Dr. Franko