Contact provider for availability

Dr. Michael Swords, PHD

Counseling ·  Male

Dr. Swords

Dr. Michael Swords, PHD is a counselor in Portland, ME. He specializes in counseling and psychology.

Contact provider for availability

Make an appointment

Dr. Swords accepts

Dr. Swords accepts the following insurance:

Pathway X Enhanced/Ind Guided Access ME
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care PPO

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Maine

Check if Dr. Swords treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Swords?
Dr. Swords' Performance
What People Say About Dr. Michael Swords, PHD
RecentMost Helpful
Dr. Swords is a wonderful man and a great clinician. His insight was a great aid in guiding me through some troubling life issues. I am truly thankful for his wisdom and insight.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Dr. Swords helped me sort out Family Hierarchy which was affecting both my Personal Life and Work Life as I had Authority Issues. Through exploration, training from articles and application of principles learned, I was able to conquer my fears of Authority, learned to stand up for myself and as a result have a more Harmonious relationship with my Family, Co-Workers and Supervisors. This was a Marvelous Experience that I would recommend for everyone.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Very understanding and professional. He helped me put in place tools that made going through my life easier. I'd highly recommend giving him a chance!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Dr. Swords helped me recognize the fundamental needs in my life for happiness. I have a better sense of myself and what I want. He expresses a strong sense of empathy while guiding me to my own conclusions and self-realization.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I greatly appreciated Dr Swords empathy, observations, wit & good humor. I found him to be very personable yet professional. When asked for advice his suggestions were thoughtful, personally appropriate & extremely useful. I highly recommend his services.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Dr. Swords is an excellent therapist. This approach is always respectful and insightful. He has been instrumental in improving my life and helping me to move forward when I felt stuck.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I believe doctor Michael Swords to be a healer of the mind.. I often saw him weekly as I was not functioning, dropped out of my college classes. My life was a mess. Yet, Dr. Swords was gentle, calm, and gave me hope in my worst of storms. He offered me tools/resources to help me heal. The most valuable information was learning coping skills. I truly appreciate his wisdom & good sense of humor. I highly recommend Dr. Swords. You won't get anyone better!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Kind, gentle, and patient. Gave great feedback and helped me overcome several major life obstacles. Would highly recommend.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I would recommend Dr. Swords to family or friends without hesitation
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Dr. Swords is a consummate professional. His counseling, first and foremost, is grounded in compassion, in empathy. His calm manner is reassuring, his years of experience quickly apparent. When I face challenges in my daily life, I find myself thinking ahead to my next session with him and how we will address it; in this way, his beneficial impact on my mental and emotional well-being extends well beyond my time in his office.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
An exceptional therapist. Dr. Swords is compassionate, insightful and easy to talk to. People talk about a "runners high" when they exercise, I leave my sessions with Dr. Swords with a "therapy high". Choosing to work with him has proven to be one of the best decisions I've made in the last 10 years.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I have been seeing Dr. Swords on a regular basis for quite some time and I always leave his office feeling more clear and grounded then when I arrived. Dr. Swords is very personable, relatable, intuitive and knowledgeable.. He has way of really getting down to things in a manageable and compassionate way. He has helped me immensely. I would reccomend Dr. Swords to anyone. And he has a good sense of humor!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Dr. Swords is the first psychologist I have ever sought help from. My experience has been fantastic. I have learned meditation techniques and ways of looking at my behavior and thought processes that have helped me to face my challenges. He is never demanding, always compassionate and genuinely understanding. He has a wonderful way of gently pointing out what work I need to do in order to address my issues.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Michael has been a wonderful therapist. He is always willing to help and to listen. I would highly recommend him without reservation.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I have been working with Michael on and off for almost 20 years. He is bright, thoughtful, and precise. His intelligence and warmth make him easy to speak to. His care extends to articles, books, and meditations that can be incorporated into daily practice.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Swords to anyone seeking a therapist. Dr. Swords has what many therapists are lacking and is a common complaint from thera-phobes. Most people complain that all therapists do is listen and validate and ask questions, but they don't feel they left the appointment with anything practical. Dr. Swords helps you get to the bottom of your challenge, and the he gives concrete actions and anticipated results. I walk away from my appointments with a road map.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
It is not possible to overstate my regard for Michael Swords. I’ve worked with fine therapists through the years and I am thankful for the help I received. However, for me, Michael is far and away the best—the VERY BEST.. My battles with depression, anxiety and a difficult marriage are all intertwined with my Christian faith. I never felt comfortable including my spirituality in the work I did with previous counselors, but Michael listens to my struggles and I feel respected & understood.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I have had several therapists over the years and most were very good, Dr Swords stands out as one of the best. He has a very personable way of working, an excellent listener and someone with a great deal of compassion. He is very skilled at finding out the core issues and helping me to help myself resolve them using very useful techniques.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
I started with Dr. Swords 3 months ago and have already seen a huge improvement in my overall well-being but most importantly, my mental health. He is timely with contact, personable, professional, and goes above and beyond to understand what it is bothering you. When the issues are addressed he works to help you understand them through promoting your personal growth and development. He offers many different techniques and ideas to do this and does this through his calm and comforting demeanor.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?
Dr. Swords is compassionate, patient, and willing to understand's someone's story. Above all, he is excellent at pin pointing the core of the issues that we deal with. A skill that you begin to learn yourself session after session. As a result, the work he does is effective, efficient, and timely.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael Swords, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Swords?