Dr. Marlene Kasman, PHD

Dr. Marlene Kasman, PHD

Clinical Psychology  ·
Female
Dr. Marlene Kasman, PHD is a clinical psychologist in East Northport, NY. She specializes in clinical psychology, counseling, and more.Read her story

163 Town Line Rd

East Northport, NY 11731

• Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Kasman

Dr. Kasman's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Kasman "I have been married for many years and have been in practice for over 35 years. Dealing with issues in my personal life has contributed a different kind of understanding and awareness that has enhanced my work with couples. It is important for individuals in a partnership to balance their own needs with the demands of work and family. Most marriages are worth saving. I work with couples who wish to repair lost trust, heal painful wounds, or enhance the quality of their relationships. I believe that mutual respect and empathy are cornerstones of a satisfying relationship. Effective communication in a safe environment enables couples to reconnect, better understand each other, and resolve conflicts. I strive to help couples remove the roadblocks which hinder personal growth and affirming relationships. Today's stressful economic climate makes it even more essential that couples develop the ability to enjoy, respect, and support each other. If a crisis or trauma does occur, blame is to be avoided so that trust can be reestablished and healing can take place. I have used hypnosis as a relaxation and stress management tool, for healing and pain management, and to help with weight loss and to stop smoking. I have also used it in psychotherapy to help identify and overcome resistance to desired behavior change. Couples seeking assistance with infertility experience a roller coaster of emotions. Anxiety, depression and anger often increase with the duration of infertility treatment. These distressing emotions create stress for the couple and may affect conception. Men and women often deal with infertility differently. Communication is essential so each can understand each other partners' approach and feelings and be supportive of each other. Counseling can help improve communication, reduce the distress of infertility, and may increase the likelihood of pregnancy. My experience in supporting clients with eating disorders includes many years as director of the Pederson Krag Center's eating disorders program in Huntington, Long Island. Anorexia, bulimia and binge eating are eating disorders that can lead to depression, low self-esteem, isolation, and substance abuse. Often people starve themselves or overeat in response to stress or anxiety. I teach my clients to recognize the triggers that result in these self destructive behaviors. They then are able to facilitate change by developing healthier tools and coping strategies. If left untreated, eating disorders can be devastating and even life threatening. All of us are raised in group environments. In our families and schools we learn ways of behaving and interacting with others. Sometimes the patterns of behavior that we learn when we are young create problems in our later life. Group therapy offers the opportunity to understand our patterns of thought and behavior as well as those of others. A group offers the opportunity to see ourselves as other people see us. It provides a safe environment in which we can learn to change thoughts, feelings or behaviors which impede us. Dealing with loss of a loved one is a long and difficult process. One must go through the stages of grieving before they can move on to new, but different relationships and experiences. I have had many opportunities to share this process on a personal and professional level. As painful as it is to share this journey, I find it meaningful and gratifying. My interest in work with seniors arose from my own experiences with my aging parents. It is hard for adult children to face their own aging process, leave alone that of their parents. Yet it is the last opportunity to address long standing family conflicts, or to resolve issues between adult children and their elderly parents. If these issues are left unresolved, the mourning process is often much more difficult. I have been privileged to help some wonderful seniors and their families address end of life issues with grace and self respect."

This content was provided by Dr. Kasman "Psychotherapy is a collaborative process. I help individuals and couples promote effective communication. With understanding of relationships and patterns of living, people can be empowered to make better choices. Improved coping skills and relationships may lessen anxiety and depression. Emotional well being is essential to good health. I am concerned about the impact of stress on physical well being. Clients learn stress management techniques which can improve health and the immune system."

• Clinical Psychology
  • Grief and Bereavement
  • Group Counseling
  • Marriage & Family Therapy
  • Women's Health Psychology

Dr. Kasman does not have any board certifications listed.

• Couples Therapy
  • Group Psychotherapy
  • Psychotherapy Services

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Adelphi University, Ny
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Adelphi University Postdoctoral Programs
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Kasman has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Kasman has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kasman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kasman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kasman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Kasman

4.2

Dr. Kasman?
Dr. Kasman's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Marlene Kasman, PHD
RecentHighestLowest
She really cares about me she listens gives great advice, easy to feel safe and relaxed. I owe gratitude and appreciate the lessons she taught me to fight anxiety and depression. She is an expert in her field and I think she is amazing and a fantastic doctor very knowledgeable and tells it like...Read More
Karen d in East Northport, NY – Jun 03, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marlene Kasman, PHD?
Saw her for about 8 mos. Also had me join her group therapy, which was also once a week, so i had to downgrade to seeing her 1on 1 once every 2weeks OR skip the group as the copays ($50) were too much $$.She often nodded off during our sessions...I had read another review that said same thing; I...Read More
Kris in NY – Jan 05, 2016
Kris, I would be happy to speak with you...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marlene Kasman, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Kasman?