Occupational & Physical Therapy  |
Mariel Kraus, OTR
I am passionate about working with neurologic disorders and took extra internships at a premier national rehab center to gain skills and experience before taking my national board exam so that I would be clinically ready to successfully treat patients. What I did not realize at the time was how these skills would allow me to help people with atypical neurologic disorders. One of those people is my older sister who was institutionalized prematurely at a skilled nursing and rehab facility in Southern California because she kept falling at home and doctors did not know what was wrong with her. Not only did the doctors not know how to diagnose her, the therapists did nothing to address her needs. only a couple of months after being in that place, I flew down to visit her. She had assumed a decorticate posture (hands and elbows had contracted in flexion and feet had dropped in extension) which did not allow her to stand or walk. She was unable to feed herself and she coughed when she swallowed food. Yet she received no splints to correct her extremities and speech therapy did not provide a swallow assessment. It only took my 15 minutes observing her to know she had a neurologic disorder that had affected her visual tracking. Her nurse stated that her diagnosis was "failure to thrive" and did not have any orders for therapy despite her presentation. I evaluated her (informally) that day and her symptoms were classic Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP). Therapists there had never heard of it and were not confident in treating her even for the contractures. It was then that I realized that I needed to open my own practice and providing an environment that would appeal to younger people who were recently diagnosed or who have YOUNG onset Parkinsons. I opened my practice in the fall of 2014 and have had the privilege of treating patients with atypical neurologic disorders that other physical therapy clinics have not known how to ameliorate. My sister is now on life support and unresponsive. She could have remained home a bit longer, she could have had a more compassionate disease progression. Her outcome is what I hope to prevent in my community. I want my patients to have hope and a better quality of life DESPITE their diagnosis. I may not know everything about the brain (who does?!) but I am always learning and won't stop until I find a solution for perplexing diagnoses. The good news is, this is actually achieved at my private practice, Integrative Therapeutic Solutions. In addition, I successfully treat all upper extremity injuries and pathologies from arthritis to frozen shoulder. I have personal experience with a torn rotator cuff, bursitis, and calcific tendonitis which I have resolved with treatment. The statistics for failed carpal tunnel surgery is dismal because it is traditionally treated orthopedically instead of neurologically. I have successful outcomes with carpal tunnel syndrome especially when they originate in the neck as a nerve impingement and surgery can be avoided. In cases where the carpal tunnel originates in the wrist, surgical outcomes are greatly improved with pre and post of therapies. At Integrative Therapeutic Solutions, my therapy colleagues and I strive to releive our patients of their pain, improve their movement and balance, and find answers to symptoms that other clinics have not been able to ameliorate. I feel blessed to have a calling to this profession by treating the whole person in body, home, and community.

Integrative Therapeutic Solutions, LLC- Gig Harbor

• Premera Blue Cross
  • Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Triwest

Learn about Mariel Kraus

I see myself as privileged to be a part of your healthcare team. I understand that my role as your therapist is to help YOU to achieve YOUR rehabilitation goals. Your plan of care is directed by you but it is my job to educate you about the disease process, resources in the community, and what I can offer to help you to achieve the best outcome for therapy.

I do not zero in to your diagnosis as the only focus of my treatments. I provide a complete and thorough assessment that helps me to discover any overlapping issues that may be addressed by my skill set. I am a hands-on therapist, eclectic in my methods to achieve successful outcomes, and I am diversified in therapeutic skills and methods.

My mission is to help you return to being a whole person at home and in the community.

• Occupational & Physical Therapy
  • Hand Occupational Therapy
  • Human Factors Occupational Therapy
  • Neurological Movement Disorders
  • Neurorehabilitation

Mariel Kraus does not have any board certifications listed.

• Balance Disorders

• Shoulder Dislocation Treatment
  • Shoulder Stabilizations
  • Trigger Point Therapy
  • Ultrasound

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• La Sierra University, Riverside Ca
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1996
  • Loma Linda University
    Medical School | Graduated 1999
  • Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1999

Mariel Kraus has no awards or honors listed.

Mariel Kraus has no media or publications listed.

Mariel Kraus does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Mariel Kraus and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Mariel Kraus' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Mariel Kraus to family and friends
Mariel Kraus Says:

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback. I am committed to delivering the best service possible and depend on my patients, clients, and colleagues to point out areas that I need to strengthen.

I am also very appreciative of any kudos, positive feedback that lets me know that I did something well so I can continue to do the things that those whom I serve respond...

Mariel Kraus' Performance
in Fircrest, WA |
She is very knowledgeable and qualified. She worked to accommodate my work schedule and answered any questions or concerns that I had. I would unreservedly recommend her to anyone who has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
in Tacoma, WA |
Mariel's therapies and her LSVT-Big program has served me well. She has vast knowledge to offer and share with Parkinson's patients. She explained in detail the benefits of treatments I received and I see the improvement in my movements. Mariel is always positive and is generous with her time.
in Olalla, WA |
After a couple of years of increasing pain in my neck & right shoulder that was making personal care & everyday life, including driving very difficult an friend recommended Mariel. After some false starts in getting thru to her to make an appointment due to communications equipment 3 weeks of intense message & stretching treatments has decreased my pain substantially. Exercise recommendations are more strenuous than with previous therapists but it certainly is getting my life back on track.
in Port Orchard WA |
It has been a refreshing and highly successful experience with Mariel working with me to improve my range of motion and other issues. I appreciate her wealth of knowledge and attention to the whole body. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease a few years back and I feel that the exercise program and tools she has provided thus far will serve me well.
in Gig Harbor, WA |
I was experiencing head aches and nightly numbness in my fingers and hands when I started seeing Mariel. After the first treatment and doing the stretches and exercises she recommended, I experienced improvement. After the first few treatments my symptoms went away completely. Now we are working together to strengthen the right muscles so that this situation does not occur again. Working with Mariel has been amazing. She is very knowledgeable and friendly. Thankful I found her!
in Gig harbor ,wa |
Mariel was very knowledgeable and thorough in her assessment and treatment of my tendenitis. She is extremely concientious and passionate about the best treatment for the welfare of her patients. I am very satisfied with my treatment and it's results.And have recommended her to others. Highly Satisfied with my progress.
in Bremerton, WA |
I have Parkinsons and a few other conditions that work against me so needless to say when I first started seeing Mariel I had limited range in my neck and shoulders, just to name a few after going a few times a week and working together. Her explaining everything from begining to end I knew this was the right fit for me. Someone who would listen and work with me. she is and amazing person to work my program with and holds herself in a profesional yet calm matter
in Federal Way, WA |
Mariel is knowledgeable, warm, caring, patient, creative, optomistic, and encouraging.
in Gig Harbor, WA |
I find Mariel to be very well informed regarding the problems a person faces when being informed they have Parkinson's Disease. She works with the patient and is very serious about the Lsvt-Big Program and the benefit it brings. She is kind and considerate and very generous in her praise for a job well done. I am grateful to have been in her care as I embark on this phase in my life with PD.
in Gig Harbor, WA |
Mariel took the time to understand my needs and worked tirelessly with me to resolve my physical impairments. She understood the course that Parkinson's takes and was knowledgeable in dealing with it. Time was never an issue, some appointments ran longer than expected so that I could get it right.
in Gig Harbor, WA |
She is exceptionally well informed, enthusiastic, supportive, and truly cares about the whole patient. Gig Harbor is very fortunate to have a person with the skills and dedication that she shows to all her patients.
Mariel treated my shoulder impingement. This was inhibiting me from doing my job and she helped me go back to work. Mariel was very knowledgeable and professional. I felt I received high quality treatment from her. I would definately recommend Mariel to anyone in need of occupational therapy services.
in Gig Harbor, WA |
I was given a referral to see Mrs. Kraus to discuss treatment for a family member with Parkinson's Disease. I found her to be very knowledgeable and she quickly made suggestions on how to proceed with care. Her approach looks at the whole family and what their current and potential future needs could be, including support for speech and care-giver support. I was impressed with how much she focused on all of our family's needs. She took the time to explain everything and make us feel at ease.
Have you seen Mariel Kraus, OTR?
Are you Mariel Kraus?