Larry Cohen, LICSW

Larry Cohen
Telehealth services available

Larry Cohen, LICSW - Social Anxiety Help - National Social Anxiety Center DC

4808 43rd Pl Nw Washington, DC 20016

Larry Cohen, LICSW is a Counselor in Washington, DC and has over 33 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University Of Michigan School Of Social Work medical school in 1987. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Larry Cohen to book an appointment.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Counselors in your area

See similar Counselors in Washington

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Larry Cohen accepts

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for District of Columbia

Check if Larry Cohen treats your condition or procedure

Larry Cohen's conditions and procedures:

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Behavioral Disorders
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CTB-I)
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Grief
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Relationship Issues
  • Social Phobia
  • Stress

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Larry Cohen, LICSW...

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Communicate via email?

Offer an online patient portal?

Offer weekend visits?

Offer evening visits?

Larry Cohen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Larry Cohen

Larry Cohen?
What People Say About Larry Cohen, LICSW
Larry was very helpful in providing many helpful techniques for dealing with social anxiety. He led group therapy sessions which involved opportunities to challenge negative beliefs and practice helpful healthy behaviors and thoughts in a safe environment. I highly recommend working with him because I have been able to make significant progress under his direction.
Mar 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I would absolutely recommend Larry Cohen for social anxiety help. I participated in a therapy group that he facilitated and he is very thorough in explaining conditions and offering personalized insights. He is a great listener and offered a gentle nudge to keep making progress when needed, which I found especially helpful. He offered a variety of different exercises and activities, including field trips where we practiced initiating conversations with strangers. He genuinely seemed to care about the progress we were making and solicited feedback after each session, both written and verbal. He provided a structure to the group while also allowing each person to define for themselves what they wanted to put into the group and what particular goals they wanted to work on. At the end of the group, he provided a progress report comparing our social anxiety results before and after group. It was an intense experience, but very worthwhile and I have noticed a big difference in how I feel.
Meredith – Feb 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I found Larry's approach both professional and thorough in his assessment and discourse for the duration of our sessions. He set clear goals and was quite thorough in his questions and advice. Plus I liked the home setting.
John H. – Sep 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is a very experienced and professional therapist. He has years of experience in helping with people suffering from social anxiety. He is kind and has very soft approach. His strategies and techniques helped me a lot. He is a very good listener and attentive.
Sep 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is an excellent practitioner and cares about his patients. Working with Larry was a transformational experience. I am now able to apply CBT tools to deal with negative thoughts and emotions and overcome irrational fears. As a result, I have a renewed confidence and am able to live life fully. It feels great! Larry equips you to become your own therapist essentially, and enables you to be capable of handling difficult thoughts, emotions and circumstances that arise in the course of one's life.
Sep 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is by far the best therapist I have ever worked with. He is very understanding and patient, but knows how to be firm when necessary. He always had my best interests at heart; a consummate professional. Unlike other therapists I've seen, he sets clear goals and provides a clear plan for progress, and it was amazing to watch myself progress. He uses CBT in a way that lets you become your own therapist through making alternative, yet subtle, shifts in perceiving your insecurities. I highly recommend him!
Aug 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is incredibly thoughtful and measured in his approach with people. I had an incredibly positive experience working with him over the course of the year. I especially benefited from his pragmatic plan-based approach to therapy, which made me feel like I could accomplish my goals with relative ease. Would absolutely recommend to others.
Adi – Aug 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I was in one of the recent group sessions, with 5 to 7 others. Through discussions, role playing, daily and weekly "homework," and field trips, we worked on the techniques and experiments to lessen our anxiety. Some seemed a better "fit" for me, while others seemed more comfortable with different techniques. We also worked on ways to alter our core beliefs toward a more healthy and realistic outlook. Larry ensures everyone has equal time in discussions and presentations. He is very fair in providing feedback and challenging us. I learned a number of helpful techniques that helps minimize my social anxiety that I continue to use as the need arises.
Aug 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry Cohen is a gem -- attentive, articulate, patient and caring. He paid close attention, asked focused, appropriate questions, and made recommendations ("homework") that helped put me back in control of my life. Larry's calm demeanor and encouraging, low-key style made it easy to engage in frank and open give-and-take with him. In short, Larry listened constructively and offered solutions that were objective, practical and realistic. I am deeply grateful to him.
Jun 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is a caring, effective therapist who combines evidence-based practices with a thoughtful listening style. I made great progress working with Larry on work-related anxiety, and I can't thank him enough. I highly recommend Larry to anyone who seeks effective CBT.
May 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I agree what the other person said. He is controlling and arguementitive.
May 23, 2019
The central strategy of cognitive-behavioral...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry's individual and group therapy are incredibly powerful methods for the treatment of social anxiety. His practice is rooted in many years of experience navigating the subtleties of treatment and honing in on what actually works. I have spent the better part of my life searching for ways to combat my social anxiety, but it wasn't until I met Larry that I actually began to make significant strides in becoming more comfortable with who I am and how I perceive myself and others. I am eternally grateful for having met Larry. If social anxiety is a challenge for you, do yourself a favor and commit to group or individual sessions with Larry and see for yourself the radical change it can bring.
May 20, 2019
Life Changing
May 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry helped me learn important strategies to overcome anxiety and depression, and to achieve personal goals I had previously not been making progress on. If you want a therapist to just be a warm and caring listener, and to not challenge you to make changes in your life, go elsewhere. Larry will guide you in learning and using skills and techniques will help you change your life.
May 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I attended Larry's CBT group for social anxiety in 2018. Social anxiety is by nature a difficult problem to overcome because it requires the individual's own initiative in facing their fears. Larry's group is among the few that offer an effective treatment by empowering the individual to conduct their own experiments and thus redefining their core beliefs, all while providing a supportive environment in which to discuss and practice techniques. No BS theory, your experiences are your teacher.
Mar 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I had individual therapy with Larry for social anxiety, work-related anxiety, and relationship challenges. I gained a lot of useful techniques that I continue to use to challenge my thought patterns and become less socially anxious. Larry is patient and attentive and makes sure to address everything that is important to the patient each session.
VA – Feb 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I went to Dr Cohen seeking help for my anxiety and depression. He taught me very useful tools for how to manage both. So I still deal with anxiety and depression, but both are less severe and less frequent.
Oct 02, 2018
Thank you for your feedback! I wish to point out...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
My psychologist recommended that I join Larry's group to work through my social anxiety. It took me two years to make an appointment and walk into his home. I was terrified. I can honestly say that I use the skills that I learned from Larry's CBT focused group every single day. I am a social worker now and am able to "sell"CBT to others. I use the techniques I learned to help with both my psychopathology and every day life situations. Larry's group was nothing short of life changing.
Kate B in VA – Jun 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is an incredible therapist. He empowered me to change avoiding behaviors that had stymied my personal development for many years. He is warm, kind, thoughtful, and offers guidance and insight to his patients. I've already recommended him to several of my friends!
Andrea – Jun 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I owe a great debt to Larry for the transformation that took place in my life. He is a patient counselor who takes the time to know each individual and offers unwavering support throughout the program. He understands the range of emotions that one may feel taking this step and offers a thoughtful and well executed process to face and overcome your fears. It changed my life.
Anonymous – Jun 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?

How was your experience with Larry Cohen?

• Counseling

University Of Michigan School Of Social Work
1976
University of Michigan / Ann Arbor

More Information

• Does Larry Cohen communicate via email?

No users have indicated that Larry Cohen communicates via email

• Does Larry Cohen offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No users have indicated that Larry Cohen offers telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Larry Cohen offer an online patient portal?

No users have indicated that Larry Cohen offers an online patient portal

• Does Larry Cohen have free onsite parking?

No users have indicated that Larry Cohen has free onsite parking

• Does Larry Cohen offer weekend visits?

No users have indicated that Larry Cohen offers weekend visits

• Does Larry Cohen offer evening visits?

No users have indicated that Larry Cohen offers evening visits