Larry Cohen, LICSW

Larry Cohen
Telehealth services available

Larry Cohen, LICSW - Social Anxiety Help - National Social Anxiety Center DC

4808 43rd Pl Nw Washington, DC 20016

Larry Cohen, LICSW is a Counselor in Washington, DC and has over 34 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University Of Michigan School Of Social Work medical school in 1987. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Larry Cohen to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Counselors in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for District of Columbia

Check if Larry Cohen treats your condition or procedure

Larry Cohen's conditions and procedures:

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Behavioral Disorders
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CTB-I)
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Grief
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Relationship Issues
  • Social Phobia
  • Stress

Larry Cohen accepts

Larry Cohen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Larry Cohen

4.838709677419355%

Larry Cohen?
  • Listened & answered questions (51)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (51)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (50)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (3)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (3)
  • Staff wasn't friendly (2)
I have been dealing with social anxiety for a while now, not really knowing how to deal with it or if I could ever improve. But after attending group therapy with Larry, I am more confident and less avoidant. I now know techniques on how I can tackle this and also more on why social anxiety happens in the first place. Larry has encouraged and challenged my group which has helped us make tremendous progress. Even after our sessions, he would make himself available if we needed extra help or guidance. Larry has so much experience and has seen it all, which is why I recommend him if you are looking to improve your self-confidence and tackle social anxiety.
Feb 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is an excellent therapist. This is the second time I have worked with him. In 2011 I participated in his CBT workshop (Group Therapy). That was an immensely rewarding experience; it helped me improve self-awareness, learn strategies on how to work through anxiety, and in large part increased my self-esteem. I would recommend this workshop to everyone. In 2020, I started experiencing severe anxiety again and resumed working with Larry from Oct 2020 - Jan 2021. My anxiety was manifesting as procrastination, general anxiety, avoidance, etc. Larry helped me develop strategies, routines that are helping me overcome these wide-ranging symptoms. I am successfully avoiding negative thinking, catastrophizing, stop all-or-nothing thinking, and other similar thought patterns. Larry also helped me with my concerns related to my twins (8 years old) which was also an area that I needed help. I wholeheartedly recommend Larry.
Jan 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
As someone who has worked with several therapists over the course of my life, I have experienced a range of techniques employed by mental health therapists (talk therapy, Freudian, somatic therapy, etc). I can attest to Larry's technique and approach. His astute ability to listen, synthesize, and offer practical guidance leads to results. I've been surprised with my progress towards defined goals in working with him. And - I am also pleasantly astonished by how well telehealth is working (I admit - I was skeptical at first); primarily because he is so engaged. If you are looking for practical tools—and ready to do the work to grow—he may be a very good fit for you too!
Aug 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I found Larry Cohen to be very focused and task oriented. He's very good at explaining his approach and his interpretation of the situation. He encourages feedback and wants to know how I feel about the situation.
Frank – Aug 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I have seen various counselors over the years; however, Larry has been the best at identifying the root causes for my habitual worry and generalized anxiety. We have developed various strategies and refined them, as needed. There have been highs and lows in my progress; however, Larry has been there for me, listened intently, and helped to facilitate discipline in adhering to the agreed-upon program. I have not worked with any counselor who has been as invested in the improvement of my mental health as Larry. I have made progress thanks to him and for this, I am extremely grateful.
Aug 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I strongly recommend Larry to others. He truly cares about your well being. He is committed to understanding what are the root causes of your thinking and behavior.
Jul 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
He's very inpatient. The sessions didn't help. He's also very weird.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jul 28, 2020
Treating all my clients with respect and...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry helped me tremendously this year. I especially appreciated the way he structured our sessions - always with a clear goal in mind. He was always looking for feedback/suggestions, which I also think was great. Would definitely recommend.
Jul 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry was very helpful in providing many helpful techniques for dealing with social anxiety. He led group therapy sessions which involved opportunities to challenge negative beliefs and practice helpful healthy behaviors and thoughts in a safe environment. I highly recommend working with him because I have been able to make significant progress under his direction.
Mar 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I would absolutely recommend Larry Cohen for social anxiety help. I participated in a therapy group that he facilitated and he is very thorough in explaining conditions and offering personalized insights. He is a great listener and offered a gentle nudge to keep making progress when needed, which I found especially helpful. He offered a variety of different exercises and activities, including field trips where we practiced initiating conversations with strangers. He genuinely seemed to care about the progress we were making and solicited feedback after each session, both written and verbal. He provided a structure to the group while also allowing each person to define for themselves what they wanted to put into the group and what particular goals they wanted to work on. At the end of the group, he provided a progress report comparing our social anxiety results before and after group. It was an intense experience, but very worthwhile and I have noticed a big difference in how I feel.
Meredith – Feb 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I found Larry's approach both professional and thorough in his assessment and discourse for the duration of our sessions. He set clear goals and was quite thorough in his questions and advice. Plus I liked the home setting.
John H. – Sep 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is a very experienced and professional therapist. He has years of experience in helping with people suffering from social anxiety. He is kind and has very soft approach. His strategies and techniques helped me a lot. He is a very good listener and attentive.
Sep 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is an excellent practitioner and cares about his patients. Working with Larry was a transformational experience. I am now able to apply CBT tools to deal with negative thoughts and emotions and overcome irrational fears. As a result, I have a renewed confidence and am able to live life fully. It feels great! Larry equips you to become your own therapist essentially, and enables you to be capable of handling difficult thoughts, emotions and circumstances that arise in the course of one's life.
Sep 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is by far the best therapist I have ever worked with. He is very understanding and patient, but knows how to be firm when necessary. He always had my best interests at heart; a consummate professional. Unlike other therapists I've seen, he sets clear goals and provides a clear plan for progress, and it was amazing to watch myself progress. He uses CBT in a way that lets you become your own therapist through making alternative, yet subtle, shifts in perceiving your insecurities. I highly recommend him!
Aug 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is incredibly thoughtful and measured in his approach with people. I had an incredibly positive experience working with him over the course of the year. I especially benefited from his pragmatic plan-based approach to therapy, which made me feel like I could accomplish my goals with relative ease. Would absolutely recommend to others.
Adi – Aug 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
I was in one of the recent group sessions, with 5 to 7 others. Through discussions, role playing, daily and weekly "homework," and field trips, we worked on the techniques and experiments to lessen our anxiety. Some seemed a better "fit" for me, while others seemed more comfortable with different techniques. We also worked on ways to alter our core beliefs toward a more healthy and realistic outlook. Larry ensures everyone has equal time in discussions and presentations. He is very fair in providing feedback and challenging us. I learned a number of helpful techniques that helps minimize my social anxiety that I continue to use as the need arises.
Aug 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry Cohen is a gem -- attentive, articulate, patient and caring. He paid close attention, asked focused, appropriate questions, and made recommendations ("homework") that helped put me back in control of my life. Larry's calm demeanor and encouraging, low-key style made it easy to engage in frank and open give-and-take with him. In short, Larry listened constructively and offered solutions that were objective, practical and realistic. I am deeply grateful to him.
Jun 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry is a caring, effective therapist who combines evidence-based practices with a thoughtful listening style. I made great progress working with Larry on work-related anxiety, and I can't thank him enough. I highly recommend Larry to anyone who seeks effective CBT.
May 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?
Larry's individual and group therapy are incredibly powerful methods for the treatment of social anxiety. His practice is rooted in many years of experience navigating the subtleties of treatment and honing in on what actually works. I have spent the better part of my life searching for ways to combat my social anxiety, but it wasn't until I met Larry that I actually began to make significant strides in becoming more comfortable with who I am and how I perceive myself and others. I am eternally grateful for having met Larry. If social anxiety is a challenge for you, do yourself a favor and commit to group or individual sessions with Larry and see for yourself the radical change it can bring.
May 20, 2019
Life Changing
May 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Larry Cohen, LICSW?

How was your experience with Larry Cohen?

• Counseling