Dr. Kristin Olson, PHD

Dr. Kristin Olson, PHD

Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology  |
Dr. Kristin Olson, PHD is a clinical child & adolescent psychology provider who practices in Torrance, CA. She is 39 years old and has been practicing for 8 years. Read her story

2790 Skypark Dr Ste 307

Torrance, CA 90505

• Self Pay

Learn about Dr. Olson

Dr. Olson's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Olson "I am a clinical psychologist who focuses on working with children of all ages and their families. I particularly enjoy working with children birth through five as well as teenagers, which means I also work closely with caregivers. I spend the first session getting to know the child and family in order to work with them to determine the type of treatment that best suits their needs. I enjoy working with toddlers and teenagers and their main developmental focus: striving for independence. This often results in defiance, tantrums, talking back, etc. I also focus on working with children and families to overcome any traumas or stressors that they may encounter. My post-doctoral fellowship focused on adoption. In addition to providing therapy, I also provide psychological assessment in areas including academic difficulties, ADHD, autism, behavioral problems, and emotional concerns. I have training working with infants as well as older children and adults. I have always enjoyed working with children, and I knew that was where I wanted to focus my career. After exploring education, I determined that helping children overcome mental health obstacles was imperative to their academic success. I completed my doctorate in child clinical psychology at the George Washington University with an emphasis on community psychology. My dissertation focused on the impact of stressors on children's mental health. My clinical training throughout graduate school and after focused on working with children in community-based settings who were displaying acting out behaviors, had a trauma history, or were experiencing anxiety or depression. Working with children in these settings made me appreciate the importance of working with caregivers and the family as well. My personal interests include yoga, and I incorporate mindfulness techniques into my practice. "

This content was provided by Dr. Olson "I believe in gathering a thorough history and talking to the child as well as their caregiver in order to determine a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan during the first session. I look at each client with regards to their own development, their family, and their unique history and incorporate that information into the treatment plan. Depending on the child's age and presenting problems, I typically use a combination of techniques. With younger children, I work closely with the family (and the school if needed) to implement behavioral techniques across environments. With older children, I use both Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques as well as more psychodynamic interventions to help them process their emotions. I also believe in working closely with the caregivers and family regardless of the age of the child. Clear, timely communication and treating all clients with respect are two of my biggest client care values. "

• Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology
  • Clinical Psychology

Dr. Olson does not have any board certifications listed.

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adolescent Depression
  • Behavioral Disorders
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Grief
  • Pediatric Behavior Disorders
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Separation Anxiety

• ADHD Testing
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Family Counseling
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Individual Therapy
  • Pediatric Counseling
  • Psychological Testing
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Stress Management

No malpractice history found for California.

• Amherst College
  • UCLA Ties For Families Post-Doctoral Fellow
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010
  • Registered Yoga Teacher
    Other Education | Completed 2006

Dr. Olson has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Olson has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Olson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Olson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Olson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Olson to family and friends
based on 1 review (1 with a comment)
Dr. Olson's Performance
in Wilmington |
She is very dedicated,patient and flexible. She's a great therapist and has great teaching skills. I love her. She's the best. Would recommend her to other parents who need that help.
Have you seen Dr. Kristin Olson, PHD?
Are you Dr. Olson?