Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD

Marriage & Family TherapyFemale

Marriage & Family Therapy

Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD is a Marriage & Family Therapist in New York, NY. She is affiliated with medical facilities Mount Sinai Hospital and Mount Sinai Hospital. Her office accepts new patients.

Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD

Kathryn Smerling, Ph.D, LCSW

115 E 86TH ST New York, NY 10028 ()

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Marriage & Family Therapists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for New York

Dr. Smerling's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Smerling

4.4

Dr. Smerling

Gives therapy a bad name.
Will damage you without batting a false eyelash.Phony as she looks. No known skills outside of lying. Sends your information directly to divorce lawyer.
Tracie Rosen – Apr 20, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Smerling is the least professional professional I’ve ever encountered. She lies, competes with women, wavers in her opinions dramatically and dismisses her patient’s needs in favor of her own. She literally told me to “just go out and find another husband.” I am sickened by her behavior and urge you to find someone better. That should be a cinch.
Melissa – Feb 25, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Smerling is among the least professional providers I have ever used. She is great at doing what is best for her, even if it includes being insincere, duplicitous, and unresponsive. If you are looking for a therapist or parental coordinator who genuinely cares about what is best for your family or your children, look elsewhere. As merely one small example that sheds meaningful light on her lack of care and professionalism, she was at least 5 minutes late for literally every session I had scheduled with her.
  • Long wait times
Richard – Oct 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I have always had problems talking to new people, but Dr. Kathryn coaxed me out of my shell. She is very kind and patient with me. She created a safe environment for me to talk about my issues, and she reasoned with me and it all finally made sense. Thank you, Dr. Kath, for everything that you do.
Vince M – Aug 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Kathryn Smerling is a very kind and compassionate therapist. She has always spoken softly and with kindness to me since I am prone to withdrawing when I hear loud voices. She is very patient and is willing to sit in silence, never pushing me to speak when I am not ready. Dr. Smerling is a therapist who goes above and beyond to make sure you feel safe and secure when you do share.
Cathy B – Aug 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Kathryn Smerling was recommended to me by a teacher from my son’s school. She said Dr. Kathryn is amazing, and she would do a great job of putting me back together. I suffered from postpartum depression; and could not figure out how to regain my independence and sense of self worth—and Dr. Kathryn helped me find my way.
Teressa O – Aug 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I cannot recall the number of times I called Dr. Kathryn Smerling to talk about what’s going on with me—the panic attacks, the anxiety, the feeling that I cannot go on. There were days that I would call her several times a day. After several months of therapy, I am now stable enough to make it through the week with just a single weekly session.
Patriss I – Jul 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Kathryn Smerling was my mother’s therapist. When I hit a snag and seemed “off” to my family, I made an appointment for me to meet with Dr. Kathryn. That single meeting completely changed my life around…it was an epiphany. I thought she wouldn’t be able to relate to me, but she did. She did her best to help me.
Roxanne J – Jul 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I resisted going to Dr. Kathryn Smerling at first because I thought my mom was just trying to make me seem crazy. Little did I know that I really needed help. Dr. Kathryn went above and beyond to keep me mentally fit—now I can function better in life, which I could not have done so without her help.
Gerald V – Jul 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I saw Dr Kathryn Smerling in a recent online news story and wanted to give it a shot. I have been desperately seeking a therapist that would not dismiss me or drug me or send me to a hospital. I felt heard, I felt nurtured, and for the first time in a very long time, I didn’t feel like I was crazy. Dr. Smerling treated me like a person and a human being. And I think I am finally on my way to recovery, thanks to her.
Marie B – Jul 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
We have been seeing Dr. Smerling for a year now for couples therapy, and we are doing better than ever, thanks to her. She truly is a sincere person who will listen to both of you and address your needs, helping you get through the worst days and supporting you on the good ones. Her counseling has made all the difference for my husband and me, and I can honestly say that she may have saved our marriage.
Jane P – Jun 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Thank you to Dr. Kathryn Smerling. I’ve recommended her to everyone in my mom’s group who has been struggling with their relationship with their teenage kids. Sometimes it takes a professional therapist who cares about you and your wellbeing to make a difference, and for me, it’s been a godsend. I can’t thank her enough for helping not just me but my children too!
Debbie M – Jun 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I’m not usually one to trust therapists, especially ones I see on TV, but Katheryn Smerling is probably the only therapist in America who delivers exactly as advertised. I did not think anyone could help me overcome my unique circumstances (powerful family with lots of pressure, lack of drive in my career path, parent-child relationship issues). Still, you can tell that she is there to help you: all the bells and whistles and the shine of the limelight on her—Dr. Smerling is just a genuine, amazing person there to help.
Stephen O – Jun 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Having social anxiety is hard. I always felt like people were making fun of me. Dr. Kathryn helped me see that this is just my fear — and people aren’t watching my every move. Thanks to her, I am in a healthy relationship now, and I can go out without being afraid of being judged.
Louis A – Apr 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Smerling helped my sister and me while my parents were going through a divorce. Making us see Dr. Smerling might be the wisest decision my parents made in a while. She made the divorce more manageable for my sister and me, as our parents were too busy fighting to focus on us.
Charlotte A – Apr 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
It was a struggle for my eight-year-old, Jack, because his special needs older brother, Nathan, needed more care. Jack was acting out a lot and was constantly getting in trouble. Dr. Kathryn helped us see that Jack was having trouble of his own. Dr. Smerling helped us understand Jack needs and emotions, and now he and Nathan have a close relationship.
Mildred V – Apr 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
As if life is not difficult enough, this pandemic has made things a lot worse for frontline workers like myself. I am going through depression and have to compartmentalize my feelings because people needed me. Dr. Kathryn reminded me that I have to take care of myself first before being a good caregiver.
Cathy H – Apr 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Kathryn Sterling truly saved me. I was already unraveling because of the pandemic, and the isolation made things significantly worse. I kept on having anxiety and panic attacks — at one point, I almost called 911 because I could not breathe! Dr. Kathryn helped ground me so I can focus my attention on things that matter. The attacks have all subsided, thanks to her help.
Michelle A – Apr 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
My dad and I used to be close until he had a mistress, and she ruined everything. Dr. Kathryn helped fix our relationship by making me see things more objectively and adult like. I have started to talk to my dad again. We’re still a long way from bringing our relationship back to what it was, but now I am in a better place.
Dennis E – Mar 26, 2021
Dennis E – Mar 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Smerling?