Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD

Marriage & Family TherapyFemale

Dr. Smerling

Kathryn Smerling, Ph.D, LCSW

115 E 86TH ST New York, NY 10028

Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD is a Marriage & Family Therapist in New York, NY. She is affiliated with Mount Sinai Hospital. She is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Smerling to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Marriage & Family Therapists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

No malpractice claims found for New York

Dr. Smerling's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Smerling

4.4

Dr. Smerling?
  • Listened & answered questions (18)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (18)
  • Explained conditions well (16)
  • Appointment was rushed (3)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (3)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (3)
I could not understand what was happening to me. I was unhappy all the time, and there were days when I could not cope; I would stay in my room and hide. My mom coaxed me to see Dr. Kathryn helped me overcome my darkness. I had a much more balanced and happy childhood because of her help.
Rebecca O – Mar 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I was hesitant to see a shrink, but Dr. Kathryn made me realize there is nothing to be ashamed of. My hair used to fall out, I had patchy skin, and I break out in hives all the time. She helped me control my triggers, and eventually, all these symptoms stopped. I am now healthy, happy, and confident in my own skin.
Theresse E – Mar 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
My ex-wife and I were embroiled in a bitter divorce, and my divorce attorney suggested we visit Dr. Kathryn Smerling as a parent coordinator. I was very skeptical of what she can do for us, but after a couple of sessions, the shouting and the blame game subsided. We were able to divorce amicably, and we are now great co-parents. We couldn’t have done it without Dr. Kathryn’s help!
Steve M – Feb 26, 2021
Steve M – Feb 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Smerling was highly recommended, and her office wasn't far from where we live, so we decided to go to her for couples' therapy. She does go above and beyond for her clients. She heard us and what we're going through. After the pandemic's stress and financial issues, it was so good to have someone listen to us and help us work things out.
Selena U – Dec 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I was introduced to the doctor during a family appointment. We addressed deep seated family issues that have been bubbling under the surface for years now, and decided to try therapy at last. Wasn't pretty, but Dr. Smerling listened, understood, processed and addressed my issues. She was really patient, and I appreciated that. I like how she lets everyone talk and doesn't side with anyone in particular. Also, she lets everyone have a say and gives you lots of insights to think about that you maybe didn't consider before.
Jessica M – Nov 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I admit I was one of those people; I had very serious doubts about therapy and wasn't sure if it was worth it at all. But I was very surprised at how Dr. Smerling handled it. I went in there feeling pressured that I had to spill every little thing, but I learned firsthand that therapy is a process. She handles everything with professionalism, and I have to say I don't regret making regular visits.
Emma K – Nov 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
My husband and I were going through a bad place in our marriage, and we were seriously considering getting a divorce. I knew we loved each other, but there were some things that were left unsorted. Dr. Kathryn Smerling helped us patch up our differences. Thanks to her, we have stopped fighting over the smallest things and we are now a lot more patient with each other.
Annabelle D – Aug 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I had a lot of anger management issues before. I’d snap at the slightest provocation and scare people away with my outbursts. After a series of sessions with Dr. Kathryn Smerling made me realize that my anger was a defense mechanism against old issues I had with my parents. After we worked on my anger management, we started working on my relationship with my mom. We made up after 15 years of not talking to each other.
Richard B – Aug 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Kathryn Smerling has been very helpful in easing my anxiety and depression. In only a few sessions, she has already healed so much of my emotional childhood traumas and old wounds. She also creates such a safe and nurturing space which as a highly private person, I appreciate so much.
Carlo P – Aug 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
My husband and I were on the verge of putting our ten-year marriage to an end if it weren’t for the wonderful insights and help of Dr. Kathryn Smerling. She was able to resolve our long-standing, deep-seated conflicts in such a loving and compassionate manner. She is obviously one of the best and most knowledgeable in this area. My husband and I were able to rekindle a fire that we thought had long gone out. We recommend her highly especially to anyone having trouble with their marriages.
Trinna L – Jul 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I wouldn’t be exaggerating to say that Dr. Kathryn Smerling saved my life. I simply don’t have the words to describe what a joy and revelation my sessions with her were. She is kind and compassionate beyond words and she took me from being a complete mess to honestly appreciating the good things in life my life and where I am being as positive as I can as to where I am right now.
Marco T – Jul 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Not trust worthy, self centered and absorbed.
Unhappy – Jun 17, 2020
sucks
John Doe – May 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I was a mess. Dr. Smerling helped turn my life around. I thought I was just dealing with depression, but it turns out that it stemmed from my parents’messy relationship. Eventually, I convinced us all to get treated by Dr. Smerling (gou Now our home is happy again, and everyone is on the same page.
Tina H – May 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I was stuck in a toxic relationship, but I couldn’t break free because I was afraid of being alone. Dr. Smerling helped me see the toxic cycles so I can recognize them and take charge of the situation. Now I am happier! The best part is that I met someone who respects me and treats me right.
Cindy B – Apr 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
Dr. Kathryn Smerling is very good at what she does. She has helped me navigate through a lot of sticky situations in my life, and I have learned accountability and responsibility because of her. I am excited about the future because now I have the life tools I need to survive and to live better.
Amanda J – Apr 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
I highly recommend Dr. Kathryn Smerling as a psychotherapist and as a friend. She has continually given me a fresh perspective so I can confront my issues, without having to worry about being judged or scorned. She is very open, calm, and understanding. She continues to make every day better for me, and I am so, so thankful for her.
Cathy E – Mar 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
My parents may have divorced, but they gave me the best gift there is—Dr. Kathryn Smerling! She has helped me through a lot—from my parents’ divorce, conquering an eating disorder, and now, making my depression and anxiety more manageable. I’m looking forward to a new life with all the life lessons and realizations that she has taught me.
Ella B – Mar 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?
My boyfriend and I go to Dr. Smerling every three weeks to talk about our relationship. We think it’s very healthy to discuss our issues and resolve them as they arise, before they can become huge things that might distance us. Dr. Smerling helps us come into a better understanding of each other. I feel like each time we go, that she takes the time to actually listen to our concerns and takes the time to help us in a way that we will understand and offers direction that we actually feel comfortable with applying back into the relationship. We have been able to develop a deeper understanding of each other’s thought process and as a result, our relationship is stronger than ever and I feel like we are headed in a great direction.
Gemma K – Nov 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Smerling, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Smerling?

• Marriage & Family Therapy