Dr. Karl Johnson, DC

Dr. Karl Johnson, DC

Chiropractic  |
My journey into healthcare began with a strong desire to help people manage and heal their painful, chronic conditions. I was not the first in my family with this great ambition. Growing up my mother often told stories about my grandfather Bloom, a healer from Sweden. In the 1930s and 1940s, Grandfather Bloom was a Detroit Tigers baseball trainer. Not only that, he dedicated his life to healing and founding the Bloom Health Institute. I never got a chance to meet my dynamic and multi-talented grandfather, but his legacy left a lasting impression on me. My mother's frequent mentioning of my grandfather's success with the ill planted a seed that would eventually sprout into a full blown calling to become a healer myself. Like my grandfather I wanted to help people without using the oftentimes damaging and unnecessary treatment of medication and surgery. I knew there was a vast world of understanding that I needed to dive into in order to help heal people the way I knew they deserved to be healed. My education began at Palmer College of Chiropractic, where I graduated Summa Cum Laude & was Vice President of Pi Tau Delta-The International Chiropractic Honor Society. As I progressed through my formal education, I was the student always asking questions. I was not one to simply take ideas, theories, or facts at face value. Rather I strove to really understand the reasons and mechanisms behind the education I was being given. My favorite book was Guyton's Physiology (in fact I bought two different editions during my tenure at Palmer), which I devoured cover-to-cover, relishing in my learning of how the human body works. My first passion was chiropractic neurology, a specialized approach of looking at the brain and nervous system functionally. I was fascinated with the fact that the brain can change, remold and create new connections based on the stimulation we give it. This amazing ability for the brain to change is called neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity shows us that it is possible to reveal weak areas of the brain and strengthen them through non-evasive neurological rehabilitation. This was and continues to be very exciting news! I began my work by exclusively treating chronically ill patients with pain and fatigue. By using my Brain-Based approach I was able to help people turn their lives around, giving them a chance to live well again after countless doctors and specialists had given up on them. After working for a while in the field, I began to realize that when a person has a health condition that is not considered life threatening, or if there is no easy fix for the condition, our medical system proves to be completely inadequate. I could see the desperation in the eyes of the patients I treated day after day. They were yearning for someone to listen to them and to spend the necessary time to get to the bottom of their problem. Most importantly they were looking for someone to help them break the chains their illness had placed around their lives. I understood and emphasized with my patients. I knew that I needed to engineer my health facility to allow me to function as the doctor I needed to be for them. I couldn't rush people in and out in ten minutes & I couldn't squabble with insurance companies to pay for testing that they considered unnecessary. I needed to create a new way of looking at and dealing with these painful and life-changing conditions. It became quite clear that I was going to have to step outside of the current broken medical box, because inside that box was a system that could never help people in the way I knew they needed to be helped. My goal in becoming a doctor has been to completely understand what takes place within an ill persons physiology and then to work with the body to restore function. There is a large divide between treating a set of symptoms and treating a human being. The latter requires a true understanding of what is causing the symptoms and working on repairing the faulty physiology.

51735 Van Dyke Ave

Shelby Township, MI 48316

Learn about Dr. Johnson

This content was provided by Dr. Johnson "I treat the patient, not the diagnosis. You are not your illness. You are a unique person with various factors contributing to your overall wellbeing. Each patient is treated as an individual. Patients are never rushed in or out of our office. When you initially come in we sit down together and go over the entire case. We conduct advanced laboratory testing and we thoroughly examine your brain and nervous system. We look at your hormone system, digestive system, immune system and your overall metabolic system to get a functional diagnosis. This is how you deserve to be treated. Johnson Chiropractic Neurology & Nutrition is the premier facility for the chronically ill for a reason. It is because we take the time necessary to make a proper functional diagnosis and work with the patient to make the proper lifestyle, dietary, supplemental, and neurological changes required to create true healing."

• Chiropractic
  • Applied Clinical Nutrition
  • Chiropractic Spinal Decompression Therapy
  • Functional Neurology
  • Metabolic Nutrition

Dr. Johnson does not have any board certifications listed.

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Allergies
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Back Disorders

• Nutritional Counseling
  • Spinal Decompression
  • Trigenics® System
  • X-Ray

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

• Oakland University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Wayne State University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Palmer College Of Chiropractic
    Medical School | Graduated 1983
  • International Chiropractic Pediatric Association
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2001

Dr. Johnson has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Johnson has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Johnson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Johnson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Johnson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Johnson to family and friends
Dr. Johnson's Performance
in Key West, FL |
Dr johnson's therapy helped both my mother and myself by greatly decreasing our pain levels and facilitating greater freedom of movement.
in Bloomfield Hills, MI |
Dr. Johnson is a forward out of the box thinker who looks at every aspect of healing his patients. He is extremely intelligent and very personable. He offers cutting edge healing modalities that you may not be able to find elsewhere. He has helped me move through chronic fatigue, allergy eliminations, and much much more. He explains everything thoroughly and treats the problem not the symptoms. He is exceptional at what he does and is a true healer.
in Macomb, MI |
Dr. Johnson is cheerful, energetic, and very intelligent. I greatly appreciate that despite his busy schedule, he takes the time to answer my questions without making me feel unintelligent or that he is in a rush. Other doctors I have visited take only 2-3 minutes to talk to me, aren't personable, and leave me feeling unsatisfied after the appointment. Dr. Johnson's personable, friendly disposition and listening ears make me feel comfortable, satisfied, and appreciated as a patient.
in Bloomfield Hills MI |
Dr. Johnson is the most caring, compassionate, knowledgable doctor my family has. I have been using his services on and off for 15 plus year. Over the years we have not found a more passionate doctor who is willing to go the extra mile to figure out how to deal with a certain health issue. Recently, my daughter (15) went to him after being diagnosed with mono.No other doctor could do anything for her except proscribe steroids & rest. Dr. J put her on a regiment that speed up her recovery!
Have you seen Dr. Karl Johnson, DC?
Are you Dr. Johnson?