Karen Landmann, LCSW

Karen Landmann, LCSW

Counseling  |
Karen Landmann, LCSW is a counseling provider who practices in New York, NY. She is 52 years old and has been practicing for 20 years. Read her story

168 W 86th St Apt 1B

New York, NY 10024

• HealthFirst

Learn about Karen Landmann

Karen Landmann's bio

This content was provided by Karen Landmann "I have wanted to be a therapist almost my entire life. My mother was clinical social worker specializing in geriatrics. She inspired me in the quest to help others. My father was also a source of inspiration as he taught me the values of caring for and assisting others who may not be as fortunate as I am. He taught me the importance of being culturally aware and competent. My mother is now deceased and my father elderly, but I hold those early lessons near to my heart as I move forward in my chosen career. One of my earliest memories is of the year my family spent in Guanajuato, Mexico, when I was six years old. My parents were writing a book for use in colleges and universities. Typical of young children, I quickly got up to par in Spanish, running down the streets yelling " no entire do! No entire do!" ( I don't understand), my first attempt at a pun, as clearly I did! I remember wondering why my friends did not have the same material resources as my middle-class Canadian family. My parents, especially my father, taught me that I was very fortunate to have the creature comforts and opportunities that I did, and that because of that, I had a moral and ethical obligation to help those less fortunate than myself, a lesson I carry forth to this day. After I returned to Canada from Mexico I learned French in school as all Canadian schoolchildren do. Talented in languages and motivated to learn, I applied myself to the fullest and quickly learned this second language, soon followed by the German spoken by my father and paternal grandparents. Thus began my love of language, culture, and travel, and that continues to this day. I studied Latin in high school, Ancient Greek in college, and Russian in the then-USSR. I picked up Dutch in a peace corps assignment to Suriname, former Dutch Guyana, and Portuguese in carnival in Salvador, Brazil. I have now either lived in or visited every continent except Australia and Antarctica. I use my cultural competency every day in my work, whether relating in Spanish to an Ecuadorian client, or in English to an Irish-American. I have demonstrated this adeptness with culture in my travels to Malaysia, Uganda, South Africa, and the Dominican Republic, where I taught villagers and professional staff alike the fundamentals of psychotherapy. I came to the United States for the first time post-college in 1995 to study clinical social work at Columbia university in 1995, graduating with my m.s.w. In 1997. My field placements were at Beth Israel Medical Center Phillips ambulatory care center and Sanctuary for Families ( domestic violence). As a second-year student I developed a support group curriculum which relied on my background in alternative healing, which I later presented at the 4th international conference on child victim/ witnesses of domestic violence in San Diego, CA, in 1998. I also presented this work at the 4th and 5th national conference on children and violence in Houston, TX, in 1998 and 1999. Subsequent conference presentations included the 1st international conference on AIDS in Ethiopia in 1999, and the 4th Home and Community Care Conference for persons with HIV/AIDS in Paris, France in 1999. It was at these later conferences that I presented my adapted support group curriculum for AIDS orphans, now n use in over 100 countries, most notably in South Africa and Uganda. My early work in my career focused on health challenges such a shiv/ AIDS and pediatric oncology. This interest in health continues to this day and is accompanied by a dual specialty in trauma and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder ( PTSD). I have received training in cognitive behavioral therapy ( CBT) and have been incorporating this in my clinical practice for the past 20 years. My undergraduate education is from St. John's college, where I immersed myself in the great books program", the classics of western civilization, beginning with the pre-socratics and ending with Freud. All classes were in a seminar format and Relied solely on primary sources, I.e., one's own perception of and commentary on the reading. This education taught me the essential skills of critical thinking, which I use to this day. Another thing that sets me apart from other therapist's is my background in alternative medicine, including Swedish massage, shiatsu, yoga, herbology, homeopathy, and meditation. While I am extremely conservative in the use of touch, I indirectly incorporate these techniques, e.g., teaching a client with generalized Anxiety Disorder yoga and other relaxation techniques. I am experienced with children and adolescents, adults, and seniors, in individual, collateral, couples, family, and group modalities. I have dealt with a wide variety of diagnoses including major depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, panic Disorder with-and without Agoraphobia, ADHD and ADD, and Anxiety Disorders. I have seen literally thousands of patients for short-and long-term therapy. I enjoy my work and approach it with great passion. My 20 years' clinical experience is bolstered by my personal convictions and deep feeling. I engage and relate to clients extremely well ; I would say my greatest strength and what sets me apart from others is my tremendous empathy and ability to understand the human experience--what adolescents term " real talk". I apply everything that makes me " me" to my work in order to enact true and lasting change. I believe in my work. "

• Counseling
  • Group Psychotherapy
  • Mental Health
  • Psychological Trauma
  • Psychotherapy

Karen Landmann does not have any board certifications listed.

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Addiction
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Adolescent Depression
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Behavioral Disorders
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Eating Disorders
  • Grief
  • Pediatric Behavior Disorders
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Relationship Issues
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Stress
  • Substance Abuse

• Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Couples Therapy
  • Crisis Intervention
  • Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
  • Family Counseling
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Grief Therapy
  • Group Psychotherapy
  • Hypnosis (Medical Hypnotherapy)
  • Individual Therapy
  • Marital Counseling
  • Marital Therapy
  • Pain Management
  • Pediatric Counseling
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Relaxation Therapy
  • Stress Management

No malpractice history found for New York.

• St. John's College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1988
  • Columbia University School Of Social Work
    Medical School | Graduated 1997
  • Beth Israel Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1996
  • Sanctuary For Families, New York, Ny
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1997
  • Certificate, Teaching English As a Second Language, Canadian Centre For Language and Cultural Studies, Toronto, On, Canada
    Other Education | Completed 1994
  • Seminar In Field Instruction, Columbia University
    Other Education | Completed 2001

Karen Landmann has no awards or honors listed.

Karen Landmann has no media or publications listed.

• Dutch
  • French
  • German
  • Portuguese
  • Russian

Karen Landmann does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Karen Landmann and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Karen Landmann's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Karen Landmann to family and friends
Karen Landmann's Performance
in Jackson Heights |
The support and guidance that I have received from Karen Landmann in clinical supervision has been immeasurable. As Albert Einstein said, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants," and Karen is truly a giant when it comes to sharing clinical wisdom. Standing on Karen's shoulders has helped me in more ways than I expected, and I'm so grateful for the ability to see further and more clearly in regards to my family and me. The Right Supervision Indeed Matters!
in Bronx, NY |
Me. Landmann is a great listener, she gives you feedback and helps you to see things outside the box. She helps you to reflect on personal issues giving you strength to move on.
in New York, New York |
I suffered from low self esteem for years. I was full of doubts and depressed. My counseling sessions with Karen Landmann helped me a lot! I feel more motivated to achieve my goals and now I look at life at a more positive perspective. Karen is very caring and dedicated, I am truly thankful for all her help!
in Forest Hills, NY |
I came to karen after escaping hurricane Harvey and a host of other mishaps. I was basically a refugee with nothing and Karen helped me get back on my feet. It's only been a little over two months , but I'm starting a new job Monday and am on my way to an apartment of my own. Karen is calm, gentle, and reassuring while giving plain directives for action. I am now able to examine aspects of my traumatic past, all due to karen. I am so grateful.
in New York, NY |
felt very welcome meeting with her and safe an that’s one of my main concern. Very professional an help with a lot of problems that I thought I had under controlled
in Bronx, NY |
I'm sorry there are only 5 stars! I would have given Karen ten! I have known Karen for several years and she has been a tremendous help to me over that time. I follow her wherever she goes. Highly recommended.
in Yonkers, NY |
Karen started to give therapy to my child around last Christmas. It was not easy to find a therapist for him around the holiday time. We're very lucky to find Karen. After two months, I saw the improvement in my child. He was calmer. By April or May, he was happier. He learned how to control his emotions. This is not something a parent can teach a child. Karen has been so caring, helpful and professional. Thank you, Karen!
I have seen Karen for several months. She figured out how to help me reach to the depths of my mind and is helping me move forward. When I doubt I can , she gently encourages me to keep going. She helps me challenge myself but is also teaching me to slow down when I need to. Having seen multiple providers in the past and felt uneasy around them, my experience with Karen has been a therapeutic bliss. Her top-notch education, her experience and compassion intertwine for the benefit of her patients
in Austin, TX |
After years of going through different therapists and treatment styles, within less than two months after starting with Karen, I was able to leave my abusive partner. No therapist before her was able to get to the root of why I was unable to leave the relationship. She nailed it and set me free. Karen is an extraordinary, goal-oriented, and very kind, professional.
Karen is always very honest and gives good, balanced opinion. Her availability is excellent which I find to be very important, allowing time for a reasonable amount of sessions during the week.
in LONDON |
Karen Landmann, LCSW is very helpful, she can really understand what I feel and she has a lot of knowledge to navigate me in my problems in life. She has been always for me when I need it. Sarka
Limerick, LK |
Karen is a great listener, very empathetic, interested in what you have to say and gives good advice. She is easy to chat to and friendly and approachable.
in NY |
Karen is the most amazing therapist. She has literally saved my life. When I came to Karen, I was in a violent relationship and losing myself to depression and anorexia. My self confidence was pretty much gone. Karen helped me to find myself and I'm learning to take care of myself physically and emotionally. I am almost weight restored and for once I don't completely hate myself for it. I am living by myself safely. I have a long way to go but I know Karen will be right at my side all the way.
in Pickering |
Karen has been and continues to be a huge help in my life. I reached out in a moment of emotional desperation and I'm glad I've finally found someone that is as understanding and compassionate as she is. I've seen many other people for help, but Karen is by far the best I've ever worked with and I highly recommend her to anyone working through difficulties.
Initially Karen appeared to be a great therapist. Kind and empathic, insightful and committed. I grew to trust her and she promised me much. However this changed with time and she has now acted very unprofessionally and walked away. I would not recommend her.
Working with Karen has been great. She sees between the lines, even when I don't have the words.
Karen is an incredible therapist! I was referred to her by a friend who Karen helped tremendously. I'm so grateful for the support, wisdom, and resources that she has provided. Karen not only helped me acknowledge & work through my childhood trauma, but was very affirming in her communication. Her support has been invaluable to me as she is readily available when I've needed her most. I would highly recommend her to anyone needing support for PTSD or trauma.
My son has ADHD and has had a handful of therapist, But none were like Karen. She is by far the best therapist he's had. She's very thoughtful, patient, friendly and understanding. She does whatever it takes to make sure you're comfortable and the session goes at your pace. its never a rush with her. I also love how she always included me and gave me advice without making me feel bad. She's very compassionate about what she does and has helped my son tremendously.
Lidingo, AB |
Karen has a charming personality which helps make the sessions less tense. She is very knowledgeable and has many ideas up her sleeve. (:
I would like to submit that Karen is understanding and helpful. She brought a fresh outlook and perspective to my situation in no time at all! She is quite perceptive, a good listener and gives constructive advice. She does not waste her breath on tired clichés and nonsensical musings. She is an erudite and cognizant observer of life and will not tell you anything unrealistic or give you false hope. It has been a pleasure working with her and would highly recommend Karen. - Larry Hargrove
Tampa, FL |
Karen really cares, this is more than a paycheck for her. Within minutes I felt a real connection and I am excited to keep seeing her.
I came to Karen as I was dealing with a lot of anxiety and stress in my life. She has been nothing but helping and always so caring. You can tell she really wants to help and always makes you feel better after talking to her. I cannot thank her enough and look forward to more improvements through working with her. Very lovely lady with a kind heart :)
in New York, NY |
Karen was such a nice and thoughtful person and she really traeted my son so well. She was very giving and understanding and work with him in different aspects. We appreciate it a lot!
in New York, NY |
My children have been seeing Karen for over a year. Both were a bit reluctant at first but Karen went above and beyond to get them to feel comfortable. Karen is caring, thoughtful and understanding it is these qualities that have helped my children to progess.
in Bronx, NY |
Karen is great. My daughter was diagnosed at the age of 7 with ADHD and she had a great rapport with Karen. Karen taught her tolerance and ways to pace herself. The only reason why we stopped going was due to my insurance. I would definitely recommend.
in Brooklyn, NY |
Karen is one of those one of a kind people. She helps me through thick and thin and has never looked away once. I can be honest with her and she is honest to me and serious about helping me.
in Bronx, NY |
Becoming Karen's patient was incredibly fortunate for me. In just a short period of time I feel like I have "turned the corner". She is open, real, no pretense and very knowledgeable. A lot of things have not gone my way for a long time, but meeting and sharing with Karen has helped me put a great deal in prospective...I couldn't be happier with the care I have received from her. If you can get on her busy schedule..DO IT!
Karen has been one of the two therapist i've ever had. And fortunately she has been the better one at age of 18. She helped me in as much as posibble and listened and has even explained to me how to deal with many thing. She talks to you liie a human and not like some sort of robot that askes you questions.
in Brooklyn, NY |
I find Karen to be very good at her job she listens and gives honest feedback when needed,she makes you feel comfortable I ,would recommend her to anyone.
in Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Landmanb is the most understanding and caring doctor I have met in her field she actually takes the time to get to know you as a personand not as a diagnosis. She is always available you need her.
in PA |
Karen is simply Amazing. She is very compassionate. Karen makes you feel very comfortable about opening up in a judgement free zone. Highly recommended!!
in Bronx |
I am writing to thank you for the excellent. Karen landmann is a great human being who Shows with respect that she cares about her patients. Thank you so much for all your help.
in Brooklyn, NY |
Karen has been my therapist For almost half a year and im a very picky person because alot of these therapist just see us people for pay. With Karen i feel wonderful, she listens to with care the feedback she gives me always works . every coping skill she has told me to use works. Ive seen a change in myself ive never thought i ever seen. Especially with the problems i face. Karen is always there for me. dont feel alone anymore. I would recommend her to EVERYONE you wont regret it.
Jackson Heights, NY |
Words cannot describe how amazing she is. It takes so much for an individual to be there with you at all times. It takes up both love and care to make someone feel better after a rough day. I have emotinally and phisically become more stronger thanks to Karen. I owe her so much for opening up a whole new world of peace and compassion. At troublesome times, I know I can always come to her and feel spiritually better. If you are looking for someone to listen to you and guide you. She is the one.
in New York, NY |
Karen is a very sweet and caring person. She is very talented and I trust her with anything that I couldn't tell anyone else. She has help me cope with my depression and look for other ways to deal with it rather than having it become a problem for myself. To this day, I couldn't have done anything or become the person I am today without meeting Karen.
in New York, NY |
Ms. Karen Landmann is a great therapist, she's always motivating me to do better which helps out with my depression. Whenever I have a problem of any sort she's always there to listen to me and give me advice. She also makes the experience more fun which makes me want to always come back, and she's helped me a lot with personal choices. Ms. Karen Landmann is the best therapist one could ever have.
Have you seen Karen Landmann, LCSW?
Are you Karen Landmann?