Joshua Cross, MFT

Joshua Cross, MFT

Counseling  ·
Joshua Cross, MFT is a counselor in San Francisco, CA. He specializes in counseling, psychology, and more.Read his story

1231 Market St # 810

San Francisco, CA 94103

Learn about Joshua Cross

Joshua Cross' bio

This content was provided by Joshua Cross "I could not imagine going to a stodgy, stiff, and colorless therapist, and I have no intention of subjecting you to the one either. I always knew I wanted to help people. It has been well over decade now since I started seeing clients professionally, and I am perpetually amazed by the power of therapy. Getting to witness people change and heal themselves is crazy inspiring, and I feel honored that I get to participate in the process over and over again. Every person is unique and there is always something new to learn. I feel like I grow along with every client. My Approach Humorous & Playful Don't get me wrong, everyone needs a good cry now and then and therapy can be heavy work, but it doesn't always need to be dark, and it certainly shouldn't be boring. How can we get enough distance from our suffering to look at things from a new perspective? Can we find any light within the darkness? I do not hide my personality behind a "therapist mask." I could not imagine going to a stodgy, stiff, and colorless therapist, and I have no intention of subjecting you to the one either. Individualized Every single person that walks through my door needs something a little different from a therapist. My job is to attune to those differences and tailor therapy accordingly. My approach is not "cookie-cutter" in the slightest, but "custom-built," for each individual/couple. Are you "left brained" and analytical? Great. We'll do evidence-based solutions-focused therapies. More a "right brain" kind of person? Wonderful. Let's explore through sand tray, art, movement, or dance therapies. LGBTIQ? No problem. Got a freaky lifestyle? Bring it! Somatic Tuning into our bodies with mindfulness allows us to begin to access a "body wisdom"much deeper than anything our thoughts and ideas have to offer. My job as a therapist is to help you be kind to, support, nourish, and listen to what your body is saying. Everything we experience is an embodied experience. Every action, emotion, and thought happens in and through the body. Traditional therapy tends to treat just our thoughts and emotions, leaving out our bodily experience, and perpetuating the body/mind split so endemic to our culture. I will include how your body is impacted by the things you struggle with. How does depression show up in your body? What does your anxiety actually feel like physically? When some trauma is triggered, how far "out of your body" do you go? I will also include how your body can help you change. What does it feel like, physically, to be solid, stable and grounded? In what new way can you use your body-awareness to stay centered, even when all hell breaks loose around you? How can your body help you stay present when that thing that triggers you so much happens once again? My Background I hold a M.A. in Somatic Psychology from California Institute of Integral Studies and have been seeing clients since 2003. I have worked with couples, families and individuals from ages 6 to 73, and have led several support and therapeutic dance groups. I have also studied Hakomi, Somatic Experiencing, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Somatics and Trauma, the work of Bill Bowen, Gestalt, Jungian Therapy, Sandplay, Internal Family Systems, Parent Child Interactive Training, Non-directive play therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Solutions-Focused Brief Therapy. My couples and family therapy is informed by the work of Virgina Satir, Gay and Kathyln Hendricks, John Welwood, and David Deida. For clients interested in movement therapy, I have studied Authentic Movement, Contemplative Dance Practice, 5Rhthyms, Soul Motion, Contact Improvisation, and Butoh, all of which influence my work with clients."

This content was provided by Joshua Cross "Do you know what want? Do you want to be free? Happy? Relaxed in your body? Content? Passionate and sexy? Courageous in the face of fear? More connected to your partner or to the Divine? Do you constantly judge yourself? Noticing all the ways you "fail" to live up to way you "should" be. Or do you tend to direct that criticism outwards? Blaming others, feeling envy, or always waiting for external circumstances to line up just right so you can finally live how you want.

I will help you build your self-esteem. Through lively, interactive (dare I say, even playful?) sessions I'll help you get out of your own way. I can teach you how to love and respect yourself, how to take responsibility for what you can control, and how to accept what you cannot with grace and compassion."

• Counseling
  • Marriage & Family Therapy
  • Psychology
  • Psychotherapy

Joshua Cross does not have any board certifications listed.

• Anxiety Attack
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Spiritual Problems

• Relaxation Therapy
  • Sex Therapy

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of Florida
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1996
  • Center For Somatic Psychotherapy
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2006
  • Novato Youth Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2008
  • California Institute Of Integral Studies
    Other Education | Completed 2004

Joshua Cross has no awards or honors listed.

Joshua Cross has no media or publications listed.

Joshua Cross does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Joshua Cross and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Joshua Cross' Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Joshua Cross to family and friends
Are you Joshua Cross?

Nearby providers with similar experience