Contact provider for availability

Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD

Counseling ·  Male

Dr. McVoy
200 Professional Park Dr SE Ste 4 Blacksburg, VA 24060

Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD is a counselor in Blacksburg, VA. He specializes in counseling.

Dr. McVoy accepts

Dr. McVoy accepts the following insurance:

Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
KeyCare PPO
Blue Choice Advantage
Blue Preferred PPO
CareFirst Maryland POS
Coventry Health Care
Southern Health PPO

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check if Dr. McVoy treats your condition or procedure

• Counseling

Dr. McVoy's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. McVoy

2.8

Dr. McVoy?
Dr. McVoy's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD
I have been going to Dr. McVoy for almost 15 years off and on. Very professional kind man! He has helped me when I was going through a divorce and afterwards. I always feel better after my appointment. Very helpful.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD?
I saw Dr. McVoy for a long time in high school/college. I saw him again for little while in my 30's. He did a great job at encouraging me to stand up for myself, say no to people, etc. He supported me at an event. But one wildly unprofessional thing stands out: my meddlesome father would call Dr. McVoy (often at home) to complain about me, and Dr. McVoy would talk to him! Even when I was in my 30's. I never signed a release. Dr. McVoy should not have even said I was his patient.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD?
To begin with, Dr McVoy does not talk to the couple separately to get each of their stories and complaints. In cases of abuse this is totally unsafe. As well, he spends much of conseling time discussing himself and telling stories. If there are issues, he lands them squarely on the side of the woman, even if the male is having angry outbursts, being manipulative and making disrespectful judgements of his mate. I had the same experience as the reviewer above. Do not see him for abuse!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD?
Dr. McVoy has a short temper and it hinders his ability to help. It is unfortunate because with his experience he has some good insights but they are clouded by his inability to let people talk and to guide conversation instead of injecting his life experience into the situation.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD?
Horrible toward women as a marriage counselor. Before we even started and he heard the whole story of both sides, he was attacking me as if I was the one with the affairs, money, drinking and anger problems. This man did not help our relationship, but enhanced the problems by honing in on me alone. First and only visit was all it took for me. We are divorced now. My ex is living couch to couch and I am improving in every way possible on my own. Ex continues seeing McVoy. He's helping alright.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph McVoy, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. McVoy?