Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Joseph Laratta, MD
Joseph L. Laratta, MD was born in Glen Ridge, New Jersey and graduated from Montville Township High School. Dr. Laratta earned his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor. With a major in the Biological sciences and a minor in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Dr. Laratta graduated from the University with highest distinction. He was awarded multiple honors at the University of Michigan, including the William J. Branstrom Prize, James B. Angell Scholar, and eight consecutive semesters of University Honors. Dr. Laratta returned to his home state of New Jersey for his medical education at the Rutgers' New Jersey Medical School. Throughout medical school, he excelled academically and was awarded entrance into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society as a junior. In recognition of his scholastic achievements, Dr. Laratta was honored as the recipient of the prestigious Columbian Foundation Scholarship and Abe Weinstein Memorial Scholarship. He formally received his medical degree after graduating in the top 2% of his class. Dr. Laratta completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Columbia University Medical Center and served as Chief Resident his final year in charge of Grand Rounds. He was awarded the Harold M. Dick Award and Frank E. Stinchfield Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Surgery as a junior and senior resident, respectively. He completed a comprehensive adult and pediatric spine surgery fellowship in both Orthopaedic and Neurosurgery at the Norton Leatherman Spine Center. He then completed a Neurosurgical Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Fellowship at the Western Regional Center for Brain and Spine. Dr. Laratta is named in over $50,000 in grant funding for scientific and research endeavors. He has produced greater than 100 peer-reviewed manuscripts, academic presentations and book chapters. Dr. Laratta is actively involved in the peer-review of orthopaedic literature, serving on the editorial board for multiple scholarly journals. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), North American Spine Society (NASS) and Lumbar Spine Research Society (LSRS). Dr. Laratta is active in multiple philanthropic enterprises, including the World Spine Outreach program and a collaboration between the Weinberg Family Cerebral Palsy Center and the New York City Ballet. As a member of the World Spine Outreach, Dr. Laratta helps to provide advanced orthopedic spinal and neurosurgical care to underserved areas around the globe, irrespective of economics or ideology. Throughout his career, Dr. Laratta will constantly strive for excellence through the integration of optimal patient selection, data-driven indications, refined technical skill, and astute clinical acumen. He pledges a lifelong journey dedicated to the improvement of patient lives and advancement in the field of spine surgery.

210 E Gray St Ste 900

• Sagamore Health Network

Learn about Dr. Laratta

Dr. Laratta's Experience

Dr. Laratta's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

This content was provided by Dr. Laratta "My philosophy of care is not a viewpoint; it is a commitment. The most important part of patient care lies in the relationship between a physician and patient and the joint effort in accomplishing a desired goal. My role is to provide the patient with all of the information about their diagnosis, including the options of treatment that are available in managing a particular condition. These options are both surgical and non-operative. As a Columbia University trained surgeon with dual fellowship training in orthopaedic and neurosurgical spine surgery, my skills in the operating room are extremely sub-specialized, for both adults and children. Each day, I apply my experience, technical skills, and clinical acumen to every patient that steps into my office. "

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Neurological Spine Reconstructive Surgery
  • Neurological Spine Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery

Dr. Laratta does not have any board certifications listed.

• Arthritis of the Spine
  • Spinal Compression Fracture
  • Spinal Cord Disorders
  • Spinal Cord Tumor
  • Spinal Instability
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
  • Spinal Tuberculosis
  • Vertebral Subluxation

• Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Plating and Fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Microdiscectomy With Fusion
  • Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (ALIF)
  • Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Minimally Invasive Decompression for Spinal Stenosis
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Percutaneous Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Posterior Cervical Laminectomy
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
  • Thoracic Tumor resection
  • Total Disc Replacement
  • Vertebroplasty
  • XLIF® (eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion) Procedure

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

• University Of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Rutgers University Medical School
    Medical School | Graduated
  • General Surgery At Columbia University Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Chief Resident In Orthopaedic Surgery At Columbia University Medical Center
  • Orthopaedic Surgery At Columbia University
  • Neurosurgical Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery At Western Regional Center For Brain and Spine
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed
  • Orthopaedic and Neurosurgical Comprehensive Adult and Pediatric Spine Surgery At Norton Leatherman Spine Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Laratta has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Laratta has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Laratta does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Laratta and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Laratta's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Laratta to family and friends
Dr. Laratta Says:

A description of the patient experience written by my patients themselves is invaluable. I encourage all of my patients to share their experiences with the online community with the intention of improving and guiding care for future patients. The greatest gift I have received in my life is the ability to care for patients. I can only hope that my patients receive the same satisfaction and...

Dr. Laratta's Performance
in Middletown, OH |
An all around great doctor. I will recommend him to any of my friends or family that have the unfortunate need for spine surgery.
in Anchorage, KY |
I had a lumbar burst fracture from a car accident. Dr. Laratta evaluated me in the emergency department and recommended no surgery. He placed me in a brace and followed me in the office at University of Louisville. Two months later, my fracture is healed and I have no pain. Thank you so much. Very glad that he is a surgeon who does not jump into surgery!
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. Laratta was on the team that treated me for spondylolisthesis with a single level decompression and fusion. I had terrible back and leg pain before surgery. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that within three months of surgery, I am back playing golf. The bad news is that my golf handicap is still the same!! Dr. Laratta is a skilled physician and technician. He will be the surgeon I recommend for anyone with a back problem.
in Jeffersontown, KY |
My mother was treated my Dr. Laratta while he was still at Columbia University. She had an acute disc herniation that was compressing the nerve roots that supply the bladder. She was unable to control her urination. Dr. Laratta met us in the Emergency Department. It was so comforting to have the surgeon actually come to the Emergency Department. He explained the gravity of the situation and the need to relieve the pressure as soon as possible. Thank you Dr. Laratta. You’re my hero!
in Louisville, KY |
Unfortunately, I had a burst fracture after falling out of a tree stand while hunting. Dr. Laratta evaluated me in the trauma bay. He explained that the fracture will heal on its own but that there was a risk that the fracture may displace. He put me in a back brace for 7 weeks. My pain is gone, my spine is straight, and I have only him to thank.
in Lexington, KY |
My daughter has scoliosis. After seeking many opinions, I came to realize that Dr. Laratta trained with the most prominent spinal deformity surgeons in the world, and had particular training in adult AND pediatric spinal surgery. I knew by his training and his confidence that he would be the surgeon for my daughter. I wish I could upload pictures because she had a 65degree curve before surgery that is perfectly straight now! He is an incredible technical surgeon and great doctor.
in Pikeville, KY |
I suffered a compression fracture of T8 and T9. I was so disabled by the pain that I was unable to move. I saw three different spine surgeons who all said the pain would improve and that there was nothing to do. When I saw Dr. Laratta, he admitted me right from the office to the hospital for pain control. He performed a two level kyphoplasty on me the next day and my pain decreased by 80%. I cannot thank him enough.
in Louisville, KY |
I had terrible pain in both buttocks when I walked. I saw four or five surgeons who all recommended surgery. Dr. Laratta must have been my sixth opinion. He systematically went through all of the nonoperative modalities that I had tried. It has been 3 months and with only an injection and water therapy, I am pain free! Dr. Laratta is truly a surgeon that only operates at last resort. And that is extremely comforting in today’s world.
in Olney, IL |
Confident and compassionate. Two qualities that embody Dr. Laratta. I have to admit, most surgeons are confident. But the balance of the two in Dr. Laratta is tremendous. A real gem!
Louisville, KY |
I was in a terrible motor vehicle accident in August of 2017. I suffered a fractured wrist, ankle, and spine. The spine was apparently fractured, collapsed and dislocated. I was unable to move my entire right lower extremity. Dr. Laratta met me immediately in the trauma area of the emergency room. He was confident of the diagnosis and plan. He told me all of the options and the prognosis at recovery. I underwent emergency surgery. Today, I can walk. He is an angel!
Louisville, KY |
After being diagnosed with Failed Back Syndrome and in debilitating pain, I saw Dr. Joseph Laratta. He sat down and answered my laundry list of questions. I felt secure in his presence. After choosing him to perform my extensive procedure, he stood with me every step of the way. His surgical skill is unrivaled, and his bedside manner is gentle and comforting. He has the one thing that almost all spine surgeons lack...empathy.
Louisville, KY |
When I first met Dr. Laratta, I had two pages of questions to ask! He smiled, sat back and answered all my questions. From that moment on, I knew this was the doctor that would perform my surgery. After surgery, he visited me every day in the hospital. I feel safe and secure under his care, I could not imagine any other surgeon performing my extensive surgery. I not only trust him as a surgeon, but I trust him as a person.
Atlanta, GA |
I am an pediatric orthopaedic surgeon. After a long flight to Cambodia, I developed bilateral upper extremity weakness and significant neck pain. It turns out that my spinal cord was compressed and showing signal change in the cord. Dr. Laratta performed a four level laminoplasty and my symptoms were 99% better the following day. I cannot thank him enough and look forward for one of the leaders in our field.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Laratta is kind, empathetic, and knowledgeable. I have been consistently disappointed with the medical system in the United States, but Dr. Laratta has restored my faith. He spent time with me explaining the nuances of my problem in a clear, concise, and understandable way. He answered each and everyone of my questions (and I had many). Dr. Laratta helped return me to the tennis court, and my backhand is better than before! He is a talented surgeon and a compassionate physician.
Have you seen Dr. Joseph Laratta, MD?
Are you Dr. Laratta?