Dr. John Kohler, MD

Dr. John Kohler, MD

Acupuncture  ·
Dr. John Kohler, MD is an acupuncturist in Bala Cynwyd, PA and has been practicing for 34 years. He graduated from U Of Chgo Div Of Bio Sci Pritzker Sch Of Med in 1976 and specializes in acupuncture.Read his story

1 Bala Ave Ste 418

• Medicare
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Kohler

Dr. Kohler's Experience

Dr. Kohler's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Acupuncture
  • Board certified in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Dr. Kohler's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Kohler "WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT YOUR EXPERTISE IN DIAGNOSING AND TREATING CERTAIN CONDITIONS? My experience and training is somewhat unique and positions me to treat complex patient problems. I have the anatomical knowledge from medical training and practicing surgery for many years. My scientific training and experience studying and writing scientific papers positions me to understand and use physiological and pharmacological principles to augment the treatment. I understand and actively use my knowledge of: brain anatomy, brain function, nerve function, nerve injury and dystunction, gastrointestinal physiology, and to a lesser degree cardiopulmonary physiology. I have continued to attend medical-acupuncture scientific meetings, educational programs and learn from online educational offerings. I have been practicing acupuncture for 21 years. I had initial training that entailed multiple schools and strategies of acupuncture treatment. I have taken many courses and read many publications that have opened me to a large number of the measures that I use every day to get the patient well in the manner best suited to the individual patient. In additional to the medical practice of acupuncture, I have studied many other aspects of Oriental philosophy and culture like Buddhism, Taoism, meditation, Qi gong and Classic of Chinese Literature. I studied Judo and Chinese praying mantis kung fu. I had excellent kung fu teachers, Steven Sun and Paul Sun who trained and molded my less than coordinated physical abilities to the point that I could compete in a national competition against martial artists from other countries. I eventually advanced to obtain a black belt. My experience with treating patients for over 40 years has taught me to treat each patient as a complete, multifaceted and unique person. The patient may come to me for treatment of a musculoskeletal pain but I need to be aware of the rest of their body systems, prior traumas, family, psychology/psychiatry. I use medications, nutritional supplements and some Chinese herbs for: pain, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, nerve dysfunction, muscle dysfunction (spasm, weakness, deconditioning). Life has taught me lessons that help me to empathize with patients who are injured and in pain. I have done jobs that involve heavy manual labor, have had pain after operations and have been injured during sports. I think that this helps me understand what patients with these conditions are going through. I do not like to be in pain or unable to do things. I do not want patients to be bothered by pain or inability to do what they want either. WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT YOUR EXPERTISE IN THE PROCEDURES YOU PERFORM? I learned acupuncture like hundreds of other students. However, my experience as a general surgeon and thoracic surgeon has enabled me to refine insertion of the needles in a safer and sometimes more effective way. For example, I know how thick the abdominal wall or chest wall is and I am careful in not inserting needles in too far that may be dangerous. When patients present with tight muscle spasm of the pectoral or axillary muscles, my experience in performing axillary dissection as a surgeon keeps me from inserting needles near the nerves and blood vessels and injuring these structures with the needles. I also know that inserting a needle into the pectoral muscle that is held between the fingers is safe because I know the extent of the muscle and I can feel whether the insertion is successful because the muscle between my fingers relaxes when the needle is inserted in the right spot. As a surgeon I learned that if you cut or disrupt a blood vessel in any way it bleeds or bruises. I am careful where I put acupuncture needles even though these needles are considerably smaller than a scalpel. "

• Acupuncture

• Concussion
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Digestive Disorders
  • Elbow Pain
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastroparesis

• Auricular Acupuncture
  • Medical Acupuncture
  • Pain Management
  • Trigger Point Acupuncture

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• Niagara University
  • Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery
    Other Education | Completed 1984
  • Master Of Science In Surgery
    Other Education | Completed 1984

Dr. Kohler has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese
  • French

Dr. Kohler does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kohler and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kohler's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Kohler

4.0

Dr. Kohler?
Dr. Kohler's Performance

How was your experience with Dr. Kohler?