Marriage & Family Therapy  |
Dr. John Gerson, PHD
Hi. I'm Dr. John Gerson. I'm a marriage-friendly therapist with a specialty in helping couples. My focus is on all the relationships in your life — with your partner, your kids, your employer, your parents — any interaction that isn't going as well as you'd like. I have been practicing psychotherapy for almost 40 years, using a non-judgmental, safe, and whenever possible a humorous approach to ensure you can explore, working with you to create the best possible environment for growth and lasting changes. Helping couples cope with challenges big and small to build stronger, durable relationships Every couple has conflicts, and even solid relationships can hit a rough patch. Whether you're on the verge of giving up or just want to feel closer, I'm here to help you discover how to make your partnership better. Together, we will find the laughter. It may take some hard work and involve a few unexpected turns, but I'm confident that I can guide most people to feel less pain, anxiety, depression, anger, and despondency, and more joy. Bring me your biggest challenge, and we'll work together to find solutions. A MARRIAGE-FRIENDLY APPROACH TO COUPLES COUNSELING In more than 35 years of practice I have helped hundreds of people reconnect with their partner, ease family pressures that cause relationship conflict, and find personal fulfillment while coping with significant challenges. It works because I care. I honestly want to help you and your loved ones, and I utilize all my training and experience to help you feel healthier and happier while building a durable relationship. I am an active therapist, using compassion to guide and coach people to make the changes that bring improvements. RELATIONSHIP REPAIR Even if you think you've tried everything, don't give up. I'm not here to judge. I won't take sides. But I do understand that couples develop habits that hurt, and those wounds can push you apart until you lose sight of the path back. My practice is oriented toward helping couples reconnect. I want you to remember why you got married in the first place and cherish the time you have together — even if that seems impossible right now. The more hopeless your situation seems, the more important it is to get all the help you can. Put my training and experience to the test to unravel your long-standing resentments and the latest flare ups. Together, we'll defuse the anger and disappointment, and look for the lingering connections that can help you rebuild your relationship. You have the ability to improve all your relationships by working on your own patterns When things are really bad, you have little to lose by trying a new approach. From time to time, we all suffer pain in our interactions with others, either caused by our own behaviors, by theirs, or more often a combination of the two. I can help you get a handle on personal issues, such as anxiety, depression, fear or anger; I can work with you to find the key to changing your behaviors, from impulsivity to substance abuse; And I can work with you to find peace despite relationship issues, even if your partner never changes a bit. Your responsibility is to live an authentic life, which in turn will make you happier and may have a surprisingly positive effect on the people around you. THERAPY CAN HELP YOU REDESIGN YOUR LIFE In therapy, we can identify the main factors disrupting your happiness and determine how you can thrive despite them. Nobody can eliminate stress, so it's important to develop ways to cope functionally when tough times strike. In our sessions, I will use a mix of therapeutic techniques that match your needs, helping you feel progress right away while chipping away at tougher issues. I will listen and ask questions, but I won't stop there. I'll also get involved as your coach, guiding you and working with you to find the solutions that make you happier.

215 Katonah Ave

Katonah, NY 10536

Learn about Dr. Gerson

This content was provided by Dr. Gerson "I think the most important element in my approach to caring for my patients is my careful and attuned listening to all aspects of their lives. I invest myself in hearing your distress as well as promoting your welfare and pleasure in living. My years' of training and experience helps me to become a change agent and a consultant/psychotherapist and enhance the experience of being alive."

• Marriage & Family Therapy
  • Adult Psychoanalysis
  • Geriatric Psychology
  • Psychoanalysis
  • Psychology

Dr. Gerson does not have any board certifications listed.

• Depression
  • Divorce
  • Relationship Issues
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Sex Addiction
  • Sexual Desire Disorders
  • Sexual Dysfunction

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Rutgers University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1967
  • M.A., Psychology Columbia University Teachers College
    Other Education | Completed 1973
  • M.Ed. Vocational and Rehabilitation Psychology Columbia University Teachers College
    Other Education | Completed 1975
  • Ph.D. The Union Institute Graduate School
    Other Education | Completed 1996

Dr. Gerson has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Gerson has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Gerson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Gerson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Gerson's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Are you Dr. Gerson?