Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD

Dr. Melvin
Telehealth services available

Alabama Psychiatry and Counseling, LLC

3037 Massey Rd Vestavia Hills, AL 35216

Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD is a Clinical Psychologist in Vestavia Hills, AL. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Melvin to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Clinical Psychologists in your area

See similar Clinical Psychologists in Vestavia Hills

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Dr. Melvin accepts

Dr. Melvin accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Buckeye Community Health Plan
Medicare
Health Net
Tricare

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Alabama

Check if Dr. Melvin treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Melvin's conditions and procedures:

• Bipolar Disorder
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Attack
  • Panic Disorder
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Relationship Issues
  • Stress

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD...

Communicate via email?

Offer an online patient portal?

Offer weekend visits?

Have free onsite parking?

Offer evening visits?

Dr. Melvin's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Melvin

Dr. Melvin?
His psych evaluation was very thorough unlike the VA psychologist??????? I felt like I was able to list all of my symptoms and explain how my life has been affected by PTSD. His report has gotten me an appropriate rating from the VA. I'm thankful and was very fortunate to have seen Mr Melvin!
May 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Melvin for about 8 or so years now. He is absolutely the best. I had a therapist before him & she made me feel that she could've cared less about. Of all the therapists over these many years, Dr. Melvin is the ONLY ONE who has listened to my problems & helped me solve them. Everyone else could've just put a tape recorder in their chair cuz they repeated the same thing every week.
Mar 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
I have been seeing Dr. Melvin for over a year now. I'd say. that he always has a warm demeanor, keeps things positive, and is very easy to talk to. Finding the right therapist can be difficult. Therefore, I was pleased even after my first session with Dr. Melvin and I would highly recommend him.
SSDA in Homewood, AL – Dec 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr. Melvin has been a life saver for me. I have a bipolar diagnosis and he is so well educated about any problem I bring to him. He has high integrity and compassion for every client. I have seen him since 2003 and it amazes me how I can go in for a session and he remembers details and names from all those years ago. If I have an emergency he makes an effort to fit me in to his schedule. He is so kind and friendly and incredibly intelligent. The staff is also caring and kind.
vestavia – Oct 11, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr Melvin has treated my husband for a stroke TIN, worked with me for weight loss and depression. He also worked with our granddaughter when her parents divorced. Our family has seen Dr Melvin for 12 years and recommend him highly!
Nunya in Vestavia Hills, AL – Oct 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr. Melvin is a great therapist. He cares for his patuents and takes extra time if needed. I think it says a lot if someone had to wait 3 months for an appointment (although I have never had this problem).
Sep 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Melvin to friends. He is a caring, compassionate doctor and overall a friendly person with high integrity.
Cullman, AL – Sep 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
I have several doctors, but I have to say, Dr. Melvin is definitely the one that helps me the most. His overall caring, support and management of my bipolar diagnosis is someone that is crucial that you have a close bond and trust relationship with. For over 15 years, he has continued to help me along my journey, encouraging me to live the best life I can, and seeing great things in me, that others have not. I am loyal to him as he is to me. He has given me a furture. Recommend him always.
Bimringham, AL – Sep 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Melvin’s for approximately 10 years. I have recommended him to friends on several occasions. He is a compassionate therapist, who genuinely cares for his patients.
Allison Harrington – Sep 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr. Melvin has been my therapist for over 13 years when other people gave up on me he taught me how to overcome the difficulties of my diagnosis struggle. Dr. Melvin therapeutic approaches have helped me to embrace change and become a more stable person. I have referred many people to his office and will continue to do so.
Barbara Jones in Fultondale, AL – Sep 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr. Melvin has been my psychologist for 22 years. He helped me through caring for my mother and her subsequent death. He has always been quite professional and I have the utmost respect fore him. He has been available for me many times after hours when I needed him and has always gone above and beyond to help me.
Bessemer, AL – Sep 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr. Melvin has been my psychologist for over 15 years. I would highly recommend him based on his professionalism, the overall comfort level in discussing private and delicate matters and the trust that I am receiving the best treatment approach possible. He is someone that I can truly depend upon.
Cynthia P in Gardendale, AL – Sep 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dedicated psychologist, devoted to the care and well-being of his patients. Navigates the conversation so the patient is part of finding the resolution. Would highly recommend! His office staff are courteous and easy to get in contact with and there aren’t dozens of computer prompts to jump through.
Jenn W. in Birmingham Metro, AL – Sep 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr. Melvin is always considerate and compassionate with me. He shows interest in whatever I have to say and tries to help me whatever the problem is. He has been my psychologist for many years and we have never had a problem. He has shown me the way to help myself.
Virginia in Birmingham, AL – Sep 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
I have been seeing Dr. Melvin for years. He has the utmost concern for his patients, is considerate and always ready to work with you to help. He does not treat you like many that seem to think everyone is the same. He really listens, then works hard to come up with a plan that will work for you. It is easy to make an appointment. I have never had a bad experience with this man. I have referred others to him who think a lot of him and his skill as well.
EC in Hoover, AL – Sep 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
I have seen Dr. Melvin for years and he is friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable. The negative review posed in no way reflects my experience with Dr. Melvin. He has always been available when I needed to see him. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
birmingham, AL – Sep 12, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Waited 3mos for appt. Scheduled appts in advance due to the long wait. 1st appt cancelled the day prior, "earliest" available appt was the 2nd appt I had already scheduled. Met w/ him once & he said he was looking fwd to working w/ me. Next appt cancelled same day (tho patients required 24hr notice or $50fee). After questioning his ability to show up to work, I received notice by mail that all future appts were cancelled & it was my fault. IF YOU WANT THERAPY DO NOT SEE JOEL MELVIN, PhD.
B. in Hoover, AL – Aug 22, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?
Dr. Melvin listens and helps. He comes up with practical steps to help you make progress.
BWC in Alabaster, AL – Mar 01, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Melvin, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Melvin?

• Clinical Psychology

Biloxi Va Hosp
Auburn University
Birmingham Southern College

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Melvin communicate via email?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Melvin offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Melvin offer an online patient portal?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Melvin have free onsite parking?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Melvin offer weekend visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Melvin offer evening visits?

Please call the office to learn more. (205) 874-9805