Janet Shelstad, MA

Janet Shelstad, MA

Psychotherapy  ·
Female  ·
Janet Shelstad, MA is a psychotherapist in Lakewood, WA. She specializes in psychotherapy, child & adolescent psychiatry, and more.Read her story

10116 36th Avenue Ct SW Ste 109

Lakewood, WA 98499

• Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • First Choice Health
  • Magellan Health Services
  • Molina Healthcare

Learn about Janet Shelstad

Janet Shelstad's bio

This content was provided by Janet Shelstad "I am a biological parent, step parent, formerly a single(divorced) parent, and a grandparent. I love working with children and families, particularly non traditional families,adoptive families, and families that include a member with special needs. In addition to my personal parenting experience, I also worked as a special education teacher, and had a lengthy career as a social worker prior to returning to school to earn a Master's Degree and become a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. "

This content was provided by Janet Shelstad "I am certified Adlerian therapist.  Adlerian therapy focuses on the client as an individual who is striving to be his or her ideal self. Adler has been called the "father" of family therapy, in that he was the first therapist to consider the client in the context of family (love), work and community (friendship) environments.

I see myself as an objective witness to my clients' lives, and use encouragement, reflection and a respectful relationship to facilitate healing.

"The science of the mind can only have for it's proper goal the understanding of human nature...and peace for every human soul."  - Alfred Adler, MD."

• Psychotherapy
  • Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • Marriage & Family Therapy

Janet Shelstad does not have any board certifications listed.

• Adolescent Counseling
  • Behavior Modification
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Marital Therapy
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Relaxation Therapy
  • Stress Management

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• Central Washington University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1988
  • Pierce County Jail Mental Health Unit
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2007
  • Chapman University College
    Other Education | Completed 2007

Janet Shelstad has no awards or honors listed.

Janet Shelstad has no media or publications listed.

Janet Shelstad does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Janet Shelstad and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Janet Shelstad's Reviews

3.3
Likelihood of recommending Janet Shelstad to family and friends

Janet Shelstad's Performance

GOOD

GOOD
Janet Shelstad Says:
"

I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

"

Janet is fantastic. She has been so helpful for my family. She's compassionate, informed, experienced, and really has the child's well being in mind and puts the child first.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
I saw Janet for year when I was living in Tacoma. I was coming out of a very dysfunctional situation both job wise and home wise. Our sessions were invaluable in helping me cope and move into a more healthy place in my life. She was a great listener and related very well with me. She was very...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0
Janet needs to take a communication class. Take your children elsewhere! Very unprofessional
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option2
We came to Janet with very complicated family issues and I was relieved that we had. We have very complicated family issues, and once we had established a rapport with Janet, I felt we were really able to begin making progress. She really hears all sides of an issue and I feel she cuts right...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option3thumbs down icon option0
Are you Janet Shelstad?

Nearby providers with similar experience

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation