James McCracken, LCSW

James McCracken, LCSW

Marriage & Family Therapy  ·
James McCracken, LCSW is a marriage & family therapist in Durham, NC. He specializes in marriage & family therapy, social work, and more.Read his story

3721 University Dr Ste C

Durham, NC 27707

Learn about James McCracken

James McCracken's bio

This content was provided by James McCracken "I have spent my whole life learning about growth, healing, and change. I have spent over 10 years working as a clinician and social worker helping others live life to its fullest potential, even when circumstances appear bleak or relationships seem to be on their last leg.? I have served in community settings with traumatized and emotionally distressed children and their families. I have worked with groups of youth in impoverished urban neighborhoods rattled by violence and community neglect. I have counseled people who have been diagnosed with serious, sometimes chronic or terminal, illnesses, those living in the aftermath of trauma, and those recovering from out of control substance use and mental illnesses. I've also assisted people overcoming situations such as long-term unemployment, domestic abuse, and homelessness. No matter the problem, my clients have told me they found me helpful, relate-able and easy to work with. People's innermost experiences and their dearest relationships are my specialty. Through it all I have learned how to be witness to and with someone else's physical, emotional, and social pains and longings. More importantly, I have learned that healing happens in the context of secure and responsive relationships. Whether the circumstance involve adolescents and young adults simultaneously seeking autonomy and parental security, spouses or lovers seeking validation from each other, or someone seeking counsel from me for any issue, the common denominator is always people's longing for secure closeness and connection. There's no denying it: Attachment Needs are in our DNA as a species. As rough, rugged, and individualistic as our American culture can be, I know that we all require to be captured by others, to be part of something larger than ourselves, and our romantic, marital, familial, and communal relationships are what fill that need. I help other live in the shelter of each other. I was professionally educated at the NYU School of Social Work, and have been trained in Emotionally Focused Therapy, an empirically validated form of therapy for relationships. I see couples, families, and individuals with a variety of problems in addition to relationship distress, and I help people de-escalate negative patterns, and be more supportive for each other independent of what problems they struggle with."

This content was provided by James McCracken "As a social worker and Emotionally Focused Therapist, client preference and motivation is my priority.  I begin with my clients from a place of building understanding and an alliance that is client-centered.  From there we evaluate options that my clients have, including therapeutic modalities and referrals I can offer.  Clients' opinions and preferences are held to be important above all else except immediate safety.  Collaboration is a central feature of working with me."

• Marriage & Family Therapy
  • Clinical Social Work
  • Social Work

James McCracken does not have any board certifications listed.

• Couples Therapy
  • Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Marital and Family Psychotherapy
  • Psychodynamic Therapy
  • Psychotherapy Services

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• New York University Silver School Of Social Work
    Other Education | Completed 2009

James McCracken has no awards or honors listed.

James McCracken has no media or publications listed.

James McCracken does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are James McCracken and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

James McCracken's Reviews

Be the first to leave a review

James McCracken?

How was your experience with James McCracken?