Podiatry  |
Male
Dr. James Cottom, DPM
Dr. James Cottom, DPM is a podiatry doctor who practices in Sarasota, FL. Dr. Cottom is affiliated with Blake Medical Center, Doctors Hospital of Sarasota, Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Lakewood Ranch Medical Center and Desoto Memorial Hospital.

2030 Bee Ridge Rd # C

Sarasota, FL 34239

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
  • Cofinity
  • Coventry Health Care of Florida, Inc.

Learn about Dr. Cottom

Dr. Cottom's Experience

Dr. Cottom's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Podiatry

• Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Heel Spur
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Morton's Neuroma

• Magna Cum Laude From Scholl College/Chicago Medical School
    Medical School | Graduated
  • Detroit Med Ctr Wayne State U
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2002
  • Reconstructive & Trauma Surgery Of The Foot & Ankle At Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Ao International Foot & Ankle Fellowship, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Wa
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Ilizarov Fellowship, Kurgon, Russia
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Center Columbus, Oh
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Cottom has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Cottom does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cottom and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Cottom's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cottom to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Cottom Says:

Dear Patients, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. If you are happy with our care, please refer a friend. If for some reason, you are not, please feel free to contact me directly. We are committed to providing you with the best possible care. Looking forward to getting you back on your feet.

Dr. Cottom's Performance
in Sarasota,FL |
Dr. Cottom is one of the best surgeons I have ever seen. I have a very complex ankle issue and he spent almost an hour explaining my issue and all treatment options. His background and credentials are top notch. I trust him and we came up with a treatment plan for my ankle. I had it replaced and am several months out from the surgery. I feel great and I am so happy I found Dr. Cottom. He has been there for me the whole time. He is very easy to talk to and truly cares about his patients.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Cottom repaired my torn achilles tendon in March 2017. The surgery went very well with minimal post operative pain. Along with Dr. Plemmons, they were thorough, professional and took time to answer my questions, and treated me with courtesy and respect. I highly recommend Dr. Cottom and his staff.
Edward, we are so happy to hear you are recovering wonderfully and thank you for taking the time to write us such a nice review. Your feedback is crucial in shaping our community. We consider our patients like family and like to treat them as such. If you need anything in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime.
in Sarasota, FL |
Had surgery on my foot, besides the lengthy time it took to recover, felt like my foot was put though a blender & more painful than when before I had the surgery. Poor guidance and told me to start walking on it before experts agreed which may have caused a more lengthy time I was in a boot which was 6 months. I then want back to see him 5 months later with pain in the area of the metal screw & he waded to charge me a high fee he refused to really even listen & defensive. I would not recommend!
We tend to see longer healing time when patient's are non-compliant & dictate their own post-op treatment. We strongly advise against using "alternative therapies" that are not part of post-op protocol. Patient's can be mislead when they seek advise from other's who lack the knowledge and skill to perform this type of procedure, and those who don't perform surgery, should not advise patient's, otherwise it leads to confusion for the patient & treating physician. Be happy to help in any way. JC
in Venice, FL |
Dr. Cottom has been extremely compassionate and professional with his approach and surgery/fusion for hallux rigidus of my left foot. Always willing to answer my endless inquiries that he probably gets hundreds of times over. He has been diligent about my follow up and wanting to be sure I get maximum success from the surgery. It's not withouth pain but managed well. Dr. Phlemmons and entire staff are great! Best experience ever with a foot specialist!
We are so glad to hear we exceeded your expectation's and we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have and will continue to be here for you throughout your healing process. Compassion, care and treating our patients like family is what we strive for.
in Nokomis, FL |
Dr. Cottom surgically removed a small broken bone that was in three pieces. He also straightened the large toe, that was beginning to cross over smaller toes and corrected a bunion. His medical assistant KP was available to cell phone calls and texts, 24/7 and returned contacts promptly. His post-op care was caring and thoughtful, always answering questions fully. My foot is healing well. Of course, it takes time. Every member of the office staff was helpful and polite.
We are so glad to see you are healing well and pleased with our staff. We strive to give you the best care possible.
in Bradenton, FL |
I visited Dr Cottom on the recommendation of a friend. He performed a triple arthrodesis fusion/achillies tendon lengthening on my right ankle. I had been living with increasing pain in that ankle for several years and had gotten to the point of not being able to play tennis or golf or even walk for any distance. Dr. Cottom explained in detail the procedure and accurately described the recovery period. I am 13 weeks post-surgery, pain free, and well on the way to recovery.
We are so glad to hear you are pain free and recovering well. We will continue to be here throughout your healing process. Thank you for your kind review.
in palmetto, fl |
Dr. Cottom has taken excellent care of my really fragile feet. No further fractures since he operated. This after 20 years of constant foot fractures. The recovery was tough each time. It has been 3 years and all is well.
So glad to see you doing well!
in Sarasota, FL |
A broken ankle and dislocated foot brought me to Dr. Cottom. You won't find a more qualified, intelligent, personable, adept, professional or friendly physician in all of Sarasota. This man and his team are top quality in every aspect. In fact, Dr. Cottom and his protege Dr. Plemmons were so on top of this problem that they did not hesitate to get me to a hospital for immediate surgery, even though that was a Saturday. Can't say enough about Dr. Cottom and his staff (shout out to Devin and KP!).
Thank you so much for your kind review! We are glad too have exceeded your expectations.
in Bradenton, FL |
Dr Cottom fixed my ankle and foot problem with 2 surgeries .....straightening and realigning my bone and erased pain id had for ten years, He made sure the therapy I received corrected my walk and my results are amazing...I am walking again and doing things I never dreamed I could do again. He is a very caring considerate man and explains all that he does step by step so you understand all that he does in surgery and after. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone who has any foot or ankl
We are so happy to get you back to enjoying the things you love!
in Lakewood Ranch, Florida |
Dr. Cottom is a wonderful, caring doctor. He revised a previous foot surgery for me. He took the time to explain exactly what he would be doing and what the expected recovery time for each stage post-surgery. My recovery followed his expectations. I am walking better than I have for many years and know it is only going to get better. Not only would I recommend him in this posting, I already have done so for a number of friends who needed foot surgeries.
Nancy, We are so happy to hear your are doing well and we will continue to be here for you throughout your entire process. We greatly appreciate all of your referrals and will continue to take great care of you and all of our patients.
in Sarasota, FL |
This Dr. did a simple surgery on my foot and left me disabled.
I am uncertain if this is a fraudulent review or not and will be looking into this to assure it's validity, in 12 years of practice, I have never left anyone in such condition but, I would be happy to help you alleviate any of your current issues.
in Sarasota, FL |
I would recommend Dr. Cottom and the Florida orthopedic foot and ankle center to anyone! Dr. Cottom is a great Dr and his staff are excellent at what they do! I had a severe bone infection in my left foot when I first met Dr. Cottom and had already prepared myself to the possibility of losing my leg. Dr. Cottom was able to save part of my foot and I am still able to walk thanks to him. Thank you Dr. Cottom!
Cary, Thank you so much for you kind review. We strive to provide the best care possible for our patients and our goal is to keep people up and walking. Our patient's are like family and we like to care for you as such. We will continue to be here for your healing process every step of the way.
Sarasota, FL |
My posterior tibial tendon ruptured and I was suddenly unable to walk. I received an incorrect diagnosis from my primary MD and from the "premier" orthopedic foot surgeon in Sarasota who offered me cortisone injections and a disabled parking permit. I got a third opinion from Dr. Cottom who said he thought he could get me to my pre-injury condition. Several months later, I am playing golf and enjoying life. He is an amazing surgeon and a real blessing to the Sarasota medical community.
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so happy to hear you are doing well and enjoying life. Please remember, we will continue to be here throughout your entire process and looking forward to seeing you progress.
in Sarasota, FL |
At my age have worked with about 20 doctors including 3 concierge doctors in NY and Sarasota. 3 or 4 have been excellent including Dr. Cottom. He is able to identify and solve the problem or direct me to the solution. In addition he is easily the most responsive and quickest when a problem occurs. So all things considered, he is by far the best.
Thank you so much Jim for your review. We strive for excellence and we consider our patients family and like to treat them as such. We are glad to hear we exceeded your expectation's and we work hard to continue that quality of care.
in Bradenton, FL |
In Sept 2015 Dr Cottom operated on my left foot doing what to me was a reconstruction of the foot. I'm now pain free and the rehab is continuing steadily. I haven't run a a marathon yet but hope to begin shuffling soon. I feel that I was fully informed prior to the surgery and after. I would go to Dr Cottom again without hesitation.
Tom, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We are so glad to hear you are doing well, that is why I love what I do. We are here for you for anything else you may need and wish you a quick and easy recovery.
in Bradenton, FL |
Dr. Cottom performed surgery on both feet due to Bone spurs/Achilles tendon problems....the results were excellent !! I am back to running, I'm basically good as new. I highly recommend Dr. Cottom !
We are so happy to hear you are pain free, Tom. We will continue to be here for anything you may need in the future.
in Bradenton, FL |
Dr. Cottom is a wizard! I fell in 2014 and dislocated my ankle and broke both leg bones directly above the ankle. I had extensive surgery to correct this injury-plates, pins and screws. I recovered, but by early 2015, I had extensive arthritis and had bone rubbing on bone. Dr. Cottom performed a Total Ankle Replacement, with very little down time about 6 weeks -about half the time as the initial injury, I was walking, driving and not limping, This was the best thing I ever did.
Barbara, it's success stories like your's that remind me why I love what I do. We are so happy to hear what a great outcome you have and we will continue to be here for you for anything else you may need
in Bradenton, FL |
Dr Cottom met with me and provided options for relief of my ankle problems. He supported my decision to avoid surgery and when my decision was no providing any progress we met again for more options. I chose surgery and after 15+yrs of pain i am now pain free and mending well
Bruce, we are beyond happy to hear that you are pain free! We strive to treat our patient's with the best and most personalized care in Sarasota and beyond.
in Bradenton Florida |
I was in constant pain. I had a bad surgery up north. I was referred to Dr CottoM and I am now pain free.
We are thrilled to hear you are pain free and on the mend!
in Sarasota, FL |
I have been in health care for over 25 years. I can't help but come to the defense of qualified physicians when I see reviews like these. Not only are they very misleading, I can't help but wonder if some patients are searching for a quick pay day. In years of experience, 99.9% of the time, it is a non-compliant patient who does not adhere to instructions when outcomes are less than desirable. Please take accountability for yourself and stop trying to ruin reputations of qualified physicians
in Ellenton, FL |
Just wanted to give a shout out to Surgeon/Orthopedic/Podiatrist Jamie-Devin Cottom for treating my planter fasciitis on my right foot!!! The pain was excruciating for the past six months.. He was recommended to me by several friends and I finally decided to give it a shot.. One of the best decisions of my life.. The pain now is 90% gone and I can finally live a normal lifestyle.. His new practice is located behind Walgreens on Bee Ridge and 41 in Sarasota... Highly Recommended.. Dr.Cottom (941
Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled to know you are now pain-free and back to doing the things you love.
Parrish, Florida |
BY FAR THE BEST FOOT & ANKLE SURGEION
Sarasota, FL |
I was very nervous to have surgery but Dr. Cottom made me feel very comfortable. He always answered all the questions I had and made me feel at ease. You can tell he really cares about his patients. He is the only doctor I will see and send family and friends too. I am so happy I made the decision to see him. People should stop assuming they know the situation that happened at his previous practice, ignorance is the stupid's mans bliss. All I know is that I will follow Dr. Cottom wherever
Thank you so much for your kind review. Making our patient feel comfortable and well informed is what we strive to do.
in Bradenton, FL |
I had a misdiagnosed tear for 11 years. Every time I flexed my foot ( walking, swimming) I had pain that was worsening. Dr Cottom was referred to me. How relieved and angry to finally get the correct diagnosis. He assured me he could get me walking and exercising again. No unrealistic expectations because it was such an old injury...scar tissue, large untreated tear... I had the surgery Jan 15, 2015. Recovery was painful but the results.. amazing! I am very grateful for his skill and care.
We are so glad to hear you are doing well and we will continue to be here for anything you may need in the future.
Parrish, FL |
I would never recommend this doctor to ANYbody, not even my worst enemy. I was scheduled for a second surgery with him (he messed up the first one per two other doctors), but it was cancelled at the last minute because Dr. Cottom either walked out or was let go. I'd bet my bottom dollar that he was fired for all the botched surgeries he's performed.
I will look into these false, inaccurate and misleading allegations as these comment's are not only anonymous and can't be validated, but are slanderous and used to besmirch our physician's reputation.
in Sarasota |
Very nice Doctor. Spent time with me and explained all my options. He is so cute!!!!
Thank you for you kind review Lois. Hope you are doing well.
Have you seen Dr. James Cottom, DPM?

Visit Dr. Cottom

BlueDental Choice
    NetworkBlue
  • Cofinity
    Cofinity PPO
  • Coventry Health Care of Florida, Inc.
    Employer Group PPO