Optometry  |
Dr. Ian McWherter, OD
Dr. Ian W. McWherter graduated from the Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus University in Philadelphia, PA, with highest honors in May 2012. Dr. McWherter completed rotations at Veterans' hospitals in Charleston, SC, and Muskogee, OK, as well as private practices in Fairfax, VA, and Savannah, GA. In 2012, Dr. McWherter was accepted to the Bennett & Bloom Eye Centers Optometric Residency Program, specializing in ocular disease. Upon completion of his 13-month post-doctoral training, Dr. McWherter practiced optometry in the Kentuckiana area, then returned to Bennett & Bloom Eye Centers in 2014 as a full time consultative optometrist. Among his many academic honors and achievements, Dr. McWherter was named "Best in Class 2012" by "Vision Monday," an optometric journal, for being a top student at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Additionally, he has been actively involved in many volunteer and charitable organizations, including the Lions Club and serving as the student member to the Board of Trustees at his university. In 2011, Dr. McWherter won first place in the Varilux Optometry Student Bowl in Salt Lake City, Utah, an academic challenge against students from other optometry schools across the country. Upon acceptance into the Bennett & Bloom Eye Centers Optometric Residency Program, Dr. McWherter received the Optometric Residency Matching Service's Scholarship for obtaining one of the top four scores on the National Optometry Boards in his year's residency class. He has also received several other awards including the Alumni Association Award, membership in the Gold Key International Optometric Honor Society, the Clinical Excellence Citation, and the Beta Sigma Kappa Award. Dr. McWherter is a Board Certified Diplomate of the American Board of Optometry and a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. Additionally, he serves as the Director of Research for the Kentucky College of Optometry at the University of Pikeville, Pikeville, KY, adjunct faculty at the Indiana University School of Optometry and Vice President of the Louisville Glaucoma Society. Dr. McWherter is also a member of the American Optometric Association and the Kentucky Optometric Association.

4010 Dupont Cir Ste 380

• Glaucoma - Iridogoniodysgenesia
  • Glaucoma - Sleep Apnea
  • Glaucoma Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Glaucoma in Epithelial Ingrowth
  • Glaucoma in Iridoschisis.
  • Glaucoma in Phacomatoses

• Ultrasound, Eye
  • YAG Iridotomy
  • YAG Laser Capsulotomy
  • YAG Laser Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

• University Of Pittsburgh
  • Ralph H. Johnson Va Medical Center
  • The Eye Institute
  • Bennett and Bloom Eye Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2013

Dr. McWherter has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McWherter does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McWherter and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McWherter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McWherter to family and friends
Dr. McWherter Says:

Thank you for completing the survey!  We value your opinion and consider your feedback seriously. Please feel free to call us with questions or concerns at 502-895-0040.

Dr. McWherter's Performance
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. McWherter is very personable and puts me at ease immediately with his friendly manner. He is thorough and checks through records and asks questions to bring himself up to date. I am confident with his expertise and willingness to explain concerns and answer my questions. I have an eye condition that could eventually cause blindness, and I feel that he really cares about keeping that from happening.
in Baghdad, Ky |
My husband has multiple eye issues and he sees Dr. Mcwherter for glaucoma, as well as diabetic eye disease. Dr. Mcwherter and his assistant treat us like family, make us feel welcome and really listen to us. He is very informed and actually cares about his patients, so much so that he remembers little things like our horse rescue! If you are looking for a doctor who you can rely on, I suggest Dr. Mcwherter, his assistant Jess, and the staff at bennett and bloom. We'd never go elsewhere!
in Jeffersonville, In |
Appeared to me to be highly qualified and as such I had a high level of confidence in the Information that he provided. Answered all my Questions completely.
in Elizabethtown, KY |
Quick, efficient, understandable and understanding. Excellent bedside manner.
Louisville, KY |
I was referred to Bennet and Bloom for my glaucoma and saw Dr. McWherter. After all my exams, he explained my condition and gave me all my treatment options. He answered all my questions in a polite manner (believe me, I had ALOT) and made sure I felt comfortable with things before leaving. I would recommend this doctor and practice.
in Campbellsville,Ky |
I was pleased with my report from Dr. McWherter & I enjoyed his joke
in Louisville, KY |
I am not one who likes going to the doctor, but my husband I have gotten to where we look forward to seeing Dr. McWherter and his staff. It's very consistent, we always see him and he has the same assistant, which we love. He has always taken the time out of his day to answer any and all of my questions and to that I am truly grateful. Even my husband looks forward to seeing the jokester and the redhead. I reccomend him for every eye need!
I saw him as part of a cataract workup at Bennett & Bloom. Informed me I had macular degeneration. Refused to explain or answer questions, saying it was nothing to be concerned about (it causes blindness but so what, right?). Told me that if I smoked to stop and if I didn't eat spinach to start...then laughed, said he had to take a phone call, and walked out, leaving me speechless from both the surprise diagnosis and his cavalier attitude. Dreadful experience. !00% insensitive. Avoid him.
I am so sorry that I did not answer your questions properly in the office. I would never want you, or anyone, to feel that I do not take your eye health seriously, because I do - and it is very important to me. I truly apologize for giving you that perception and your bad experience with me. I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have and you can call me anytime, 502-895-0040. More information about Macular Degeneration can also be found on our website. https://tinyurl.com/jl2zsvo
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. Mcwherter has been treating me for better than a year for Trichiasis (ingrown eyelashes), Dry eye and most recently for eye pressure problems. I have to say that my condition in all of these ailments is markedly improved. He has taken the time to explain to me how to manage my eye problems and for that I am truly grateful. I had already been to one other Ophthalmology Center and one private practice Ophthalmologist to no avail. Dr. McWherter is my go to guy for eye problems.
in KY |
I had double vision in my right eye. I saw three different doctors, but with no help. I finally saw Dr. McWherter and he correctly identified that I had an irregularity in my cornea that was the problem. After trying eye drops first, he recommended that I have a minimally invasive procedure to allow my cornea to regenerate naturally. The procedure was done in the office and the results are fantastic! I am now seeing 20/20 again! Thank you Dr. McWherter!
in Elizabethtown, Ky |
I had major eye surgery at Bennett & Bloom with Dr. Tenkman, and I used to dread going into the office. I see Dr. McWherter in the E-Town office, and actually look forward to my visits. He is so friendly, and knowledgable. He seems to really understand what im trying to explain. His assistant is someone who i look forward to seeing every week as well, they really make you feel like family. Great Doctor, great team, great office!
in Latrobe, PA |
I was impressed with Dr. McWherter. He took all the time needed to make sure I understood my condition and my treatment options. He didn't rush me and he made sure that he answered all of my questions.
Dr. McWherter took care of my disabled husband for several years before his death. He was always very caring and explained things in a way we could understand. He even made the effort to call and consulted with the nursing home doctor to insure that his eye problem was treated treated properly. I am very grateful to Dr. McWherter for taking such good care of my husband.
Oakland, CA |
Dr. McWherter handled the pre and post op for my Visian ICL corrective surgery. It was a scary process but he was reassuring and very helpful answering my questions along the way - I had many. Looking back, I can't imagine living without it, but I wouldn't have gotten through it without Dr. McWherter's help. Dr. Bennett is an *amazing* surgeon, but it's the other doctors that you spend the most time with for a procedure like that, having someone I could trust made all the difference.
in Shepherdsville, KY |
Even tho this is the 21st century, and medicine has advance far from its origins, McWherter is still in the stone-age in the field of administering numbing injections. He will not place a drop of numbing agent onto your porous eyelid before jabbing a needle into it. He says it doesn't work, not even for the initial stick. My recommendation: Ask any medical professional if it works if you have doubts.
I am very sorry that your injection was uncomfortable. We really try to make all procedures as painless as possible. If there is anything we can do to help make you more comfortable and relaxed for your next procedure we will gladly do it.
in Louisville, KY |
Our vacation was threatened due to a freak eye injury I incurred. I called the Bennett and Bloom Eye office in a panic and was put through a triage nurse. I explained my situation, she asked many questions to evaluate my needs and made me an appointment for the following afternoon. The doctor evaluated my condition, prescribed appropriate medications and a regimen of said medications and dosage times and frequencies. He told me to take my vacation and have a good time! Thanks, Doc!!!
Have you seen Dr. Ian McWherter, OD?

Visit Dr. McWherter