Dr. Henry Steinberger, PHD

Dr. Henry Steinberger, PHD

Psychology  ·
Dr. Henry Steinberger, PHD is a psychologist in Madison, WI and has been practicing for 27 years. He specializes in psychology, substance abuse counseling, and more.Read his story

313 Price Pl Ste 209

Madison, WI 53705

• AARP
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Alliance Health Care
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • APS Healthcare
  • Beacon Health Strategies

Learn about Dr. Steinberger

Dr. Steinberger's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Steinberger "I was born in the cultural hub of Brooklyn (NY). Skipped 8th grade in Jr. High. Moved with my family to Philadelphia when I was 14. Started Temple University before I was 17. Completed my BA in 3 ½ years and an MA in 2. Worked for the Welfare Department, later as a drug counselor and then as a researcher at Eagleville Hospital. For fun I joined the Abbey Stagedoor Theater and performed in several comedies, including the role of Allen Felix in Play it Again Sam. Then Dr. Frank Farley invited me to the University of Wisconsin – Madison for a PhD, bless him. Within a day of my arrival I fell in love with Madison. I continued acting with the Theater Guild, taking the role of Bogart in Play it Again Sam and the comic lead, Brian, in No Sex Please, We're British. I also enjoyed being a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism. I completed an MSSW, an Internship in Counseling Psychology and the PhD. With great thanks to Dr. Richard Johnson who guided my professional progress through the internship I received a license to practice psychology. In 1990 I went to New York for a Postdoctoral Fellowship with the renowned Dr. Albert Ellis and his staff at his Institute for Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. Upon my return to Madison in 1992 I became a SMART Recovery volunteer. I started a self-help group which became the first local SMART Recovery meeting in Madison. I served on the SR National Board of Directors for ten years, created the 2nd edition of the SR Handbook (2004), available in nine languages. I worked in a group practice from 1994 until it closed in 2010, then started my own private practice."

This content was provided by Dr. Steinberger "AA not your cup of tea? Come see me. With over 29 years of experience & my continuing love of science, I offer practical up-to-date evidence-based best practices along with warm understanding. I'm active-directive, not just reflective; I'm empathic and not confrontational. You'll feel understood & accepted. Overcome unnecessary suffering with Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Mindfulness. Learn to accept feelings, defuse from thoughts, discover & commit to acting on your higher values."

• Psychology
  • Alcoholism
  • Substance Abuse Counseling

Dr. Steinberger does not have any board certifications listed.

• Counseling Services
  • Psychotherapy Services

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Wisconsin.

• Temple University
  • University Of Wisconsin / Madison
    Other Education | Completed 1986
  • University Of Wisconsin-School Of Social Work
    Other Education | Completed 1983

Dr. Steinberger has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Steinberger has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Steinberger does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Steinberger and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Steinberger's Reviews

4.0
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Steinberger to family and friends
1 review (1 has a comment)

Dr. Steinberger's Performance

I am a psychologist who just spent at least one-half hour on the phone with Dr. Steinberger talking about referring a client to him. I asked him questions about his therapy approaches, skepticism about fad therapies, allegiance to scientifically validated methods, time spent on assessment before...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0
Are you Dr. Steinberger?

Nearby providers with similar experience