Gary Hirshberg, MSW

Gary Hirshberg, MSW

Social Work  ·
Male
Gary Hirshberg, MSW is a social worker in Saint Louis, MO. He specializes in social work, clinical social work, and more.Read his story

4579 Laclede Ave

Saint Louis, MO 63108

(314) 367-2010

• Magellan Health Services
  • Value Options

Learn about Gary Hirshberg

Gary Hirshberg's bio

This content was provided by Gary Hirshberg "I received a Master's in Social Work from the George Warren Brown School of Social Work at Washington University in 1984. I was one of the founders of the first mental health agency in the country created in response to the AIDS epidemic. Delta Mental Health Institute was a private not for profit that during its five years in operation served the needs of the HIV/AIDS community, the LGBT community, and male survivors. During that time, I became a founding member of the National Organization on Male Sexual Victimization, and offered workshops throughout the United States for male survivor therapists. I designed the first course taught in St. Louis to address the mental health needs of those living with HIV, and went on to teach at both Washington University and St. Louis University. I continue to teach now also in the graduate school of Social Work at the University of Missouri - St. Louis. In 1996, I attended a five-day residential Dismantling Racism Institute here in St Louis and went on to co-design a seven-day residential institute in diversity awareness for high school students. For five years, I co-directed one of the summer Institutes. I continue to design and offer individually tailored workshops on issues of diversity and cultural competency. I am a graduate of the two year advanced psychodynamic psychotherapy program at the St Louis Psychoanalytic Institute. I have completed a four-year training program also at the St Louis Psychoanalytic Institute, and am a practicing psychoanalyst. I continue to teach at the Institute in their two year training program."

This content was provided by Gary Hirshberg "I am a licensed clinical social worker who practices both individual and couples therapy. I have extensive experience working with gay men, women, people of color, and international patients. My training as a social worker has given me the understanding of how societal oppression impacts my patients both in their lives and in how they feel about themselves. As a practitioner of psychotherapy I work to assist my patients in understanding how their minds work. A metaphor I often use with patients is that all of us can use a computer, but very few of us can actually access the code that runs the computer let alone change that code. Together I work with people to access, understand and then change the code that they operate under. My goal is never to provide answers for people, but to help people to understand themselves so that they can function and operate independently of their conflicts and problems. Thus, my hope is that together we can understand the problems you bring in such areas as addictions, depression, anxiety, relationships, intimacy or sexuality and then look at how these problems stem from the underlying conflicts you face."

• Social Work
  • Adult Psychoanalysis
  • Clinical Social Work
  • Psychoanalysis
  • Psychotherapy

Gary Hirshberg does not have any board certifications listed.

• Counseling for Gay and-or Lesbian Individuals
  • Couples Therapy
  • Individual Therapy
  • Marital and Family Psychotherapy
  • Marital Counseling
  • Marital Therapy
  • Psychotherapy Services

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Missouri.

• Washington University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1981
  • George Warren Brown School Of Social Work
    Other Education | Completed 1984
  • Saint Louis Psychoanalytic Institute
    Other Education | Completed 2009

Gary Hirshberg has no awards or honors listed.

Gary Hirshberg has no media or publications listed.

Gary Hirshberg does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Gary Hirshberg and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Gary Hirshberg's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Gary Hirshberg to family and friends
Are you Gary Hirshberg?

Nearby providers with similar experience

Counseling