Dawn Schiro, LCSW

Dawn Schiro, LCSW

Counseling  ·
Female  ·
Dawn Schiro, LCSW is a counselor in Slidell, LA. She specializes in counseling, social work, and more.Read her story

2836 Front St

Slidell, LA 70458

• Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)

Learn about Dawn Schiro

Dawn Schiro's bio

This content was provided by Dawn Schiro "With over 20 years experience as a Clinical Social Worker and therapist, I have worked in a variety of settings, addressing multiple challenging issues. Trauma has been a recurrent theme and underlying issue in all the work I've done. As a result, I have a special interest in working with trauma, PTSD, and the related issues. ?I currently only work with adults in my practice. My primary treatment focus is treating survivors of childhood abuse and neglect; attachment traumas; traumatic loss and grief; trauma resulting from violent experiences, deployment and combat; sexual addiction and compulsions; and the marital & relationship problems related to the aforementioned issues. I strive to achieve a level of excellence in my practice. By directing my focus and training to limited, specific issues, I am better able to achieve a level of mastery in treating those issues. I have been able to develop the necessary skills to provide my clients with a level of expertise to effect positive change if they commit to therapy. My approach is eclectic, choosing therapeutic modalities based on the client and issues involved. I employ treatment modalities such as Behavior Therapy, CBT and psychodrama. Additionally, I utilize a didactic approach often incorporating information based in neuroscience. I am EMDR trained and certified, and I often utilize this therapeutic approach as it is internationally identified as a research-based and evidence-based best practice for working with trauma. My Background: Education: Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA Bachelors - Psychology (additional Bachelors in Political Science)Masters - Social Work (MSW obtained 1994) Work Experience:Instructor with Louisiana State University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry. I worked as part of a small team comprised of social workers and psychiatrists. Our team's role was to develop and implement mental health services to inmates at the Orleans Parish Prison. My interest in forensic social work has extended beyond my work in the prisons. I have worked with the 22nd Judicial District Court and with the Louisiana Department of Corrections Office of Probation and Parole. For the 22nd JDC, I was on the treatment team providing services to Drug Court clients. I was Therapist and Clinical Director for Truth 180, Inc., an intensive outpatient program that was contracted to provide substance abuse treatment to clients enrolled in the Drug Court program. The agency also provided such services to probation referred clients and privately referred clients. Additional experience Some of the greatest experiences of my professional career occurred in the many years I was blessed to work with hospice. Working with individuals experiencing terminal illness and working with those people who loved and cared for them is almost too amazing to verbalize. My experience working with hospice was one of the most rewarding I've ever had. This work afforded me an opportunity to develop a different perspective on human connectedness, and the importance of compassion and understanding of one another's personal experiences. Another professional endeavor I've had the honor to experience is working with our country's service members and veterans. I've been blessed to work with members of our military and their families. Both the service members and their families experience great sacrifice and stress when the service member is deployed, and upon their return from deployment. I served as the Lead Coordinator for the Psychological Health Outreach Program in the Southern District of the United States Marine Corps, providing mental health outreach. The effects of the trauma post-deployment include PTSD, anger management issues, substance abuse and relationship issues. For the past 10 years I have been devoted to training and providing quality treatment in my private practice, providing the specialized services previously noted. I will continue along this path."

• Counseling
  • Marriage & Family Therapy
  • Psychological Trauma
  • Psychotherapy
  • Social Work

Dawn Schiro does not have any board certifications listed.

• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Louisiana.

• Louisiana State Univ
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1988
  • Louisiana State University
    Other Education | Completed 1994

Dawn Schiro has no awards or honors listed.

Dawn Schiro has no media or publications listed.

Dawn Schiro does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dawn Schiro and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Nearby providers with similar experience

Counseling