Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Brian Feeley, MD
Brian Feeley, MD joined the UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery as an Assistant Professor in Residence in 2008. Feeley received his bachelor of science degree from Stanford University and his medical degree from Stanford University School of Medicine before serving his residency in the UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He completed a sports medicine and shoulder fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, where he also served as an assistant team physician to the New York Giants. Dr. Feeley's clinical focus is on athletic injuries of the shoulder and knee and the use of minimally invasive/arthroscopic procedures to treat these problems. In the shoulder, he treats rotator cuff tears/impingement, shoulder instability and labral tears, clavicle fractures, shoulder arthritis and shoulder replacement with reverse shoulder arthroplasty. In the knee, he treats ACL and other ligament injuries, meniscus tears, cartilage injuries, and early arthritis. . Dr. Feeley performs research on common shoulder and knee problems. In the shoulder, he is studying the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the development of muscle atrophy after rotator cuff tears. In the knee, he uses biomechanics to study novel techniques to evaluate the rotational stability of the knee. He also uses high resolution MRI to study meniscus problems and patellofemoral problems. He has published over 120 peer reviewed articles, review studies, and book chapters. He has received the AOSSM and OREF Young Investigator Award for his research, and recently received the Western Orthopaedic Young Investigator Award and the OREF Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. He is currently funded by the NIH and OREF for his research on muscle injuries around the shoulder and rotator cuff, and kinematics of knee injuries. Dr. Feeley is currently the team physician for St. Ignatius College Prep High School and Balboa High School.

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO ORTHOPEDIC

• Delta Health System
  • POMCO Group
  • Principal Life

Learn about Dr. Feeley

My goal in treating patients is to use the best evidence based practices to guide treatment decisions for patients with orthopedic injuries.  The goal for every visit should be to aim towards getting patients back to their ideal level of function, either with non-operative or operative options based on what the best evidence in current practice is.

Dr. Feeley's Experience

Dr. Feeley's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injuries
  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear

• Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for California.

• Stanford
  • UCLA Orthopedic Surgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2007
  • Hospital For Special Surgery Shoulder and Sports Medicine Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2008

Dr. Feeley has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Feeley does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Feeley and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Feeley's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Feeley to family and friends
Dr. Feeley's Performance
in San Francisco, CA |
I had a shoulder dislocation in the past and then another one in the spring. He fixed my shoulder and it feels great. He and his team have a great bedside manner--he is very funny, engaging, and down to earth. He was my 3rd opinion and definitely the one I would go to again if (when) I hurt myself.
Daly City, CA |
Dr. Feeley is very compassionate, professional and highly skilled. I trust him fully with any of my musculosketal issues.
in San Francisco, CA |
I highly recommend Dr. Brian Feeley—certainly to any person like me who has a big problem with their shoulder. My entire experience with Dr. Feeley was exceptional. I was treated with kindness and respect from my first visit with Dr. Feeley to the conclusion of the comprehensive follow-up care that saw me moving towards complete wellness. I’ll laud Dr. Feeley’s team as well; his effective leadership and advanced methods are reflected in the excellence of his team. Great doctor. Many thanks!
Seaside, CA |
Dr. Feeley is amazing. He made me and his hole team feel welcome. I am very thankfull I was in good hands the hole time. Thank you again UCSF for all your amazing care.
in Visalia ca |
Dr feeley is a amazing doctor. I went to 2 other doctors that looked at the same mri the other ones did and he found the problem and was able to fix it!!
in Hercules, CA |
Dr Feeley and his team did an excellent job on my overall care, from my initial consultation to my knee surgery procedure. The surgery and the recovery period was pain free and I highly recommend him to my friends and coworkers with similar knee or any joint problems.
in Walnut Creek Ca |
Dr. Feeley is highly professional, to the point, responsive when necessary and did an excellent job with my shoulder replacement. I have had no pain and all seems to be going quite well
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Feeley is personable and straight forward. I appreciated the time he took discussing my plan of care. He never seemed rushed or inconvenienced when I had lots of questions. Also, he has a great team. People called me every single day after my surgery for close to a week, just to make sure I was OK. I felt very well taken care of and I am so thankful I was referred to Dr. Feeley! Thank you!
in Porterville, CA |
Dr. Feeley has been an amazing doctrine through my whole experience from the consultation to the fallow-up.
in San Francisco, CA |
(Typing with my left hand/one finger only) Professional, knowledgeable, friendly, considerate, straight-forward, present & aware, serious, knows-his-stuff-doesn't-fool-around. Sorry it's not not more flowing but I gave a warning. Felt good with him, trustworthy.
in San Francisco, CA |
I'm a marathon runner & triathlete. I went in to see Dr. Feeley for knee pain. Found out I had been competing with a completely torn ACL & meniscus for over 10 years. I never had any major surgery & was really scared. It was an emotional challenge & Dr. Feeley & his team treated me with efficiency, kindness and patience. Surgery is not easy but being on my 3rd week of recovery, ahead of recovery schedule, was at work the week after and have increasing range & strength daily. Immensely grateful
Thank you for the kind note. We are happy to take care of all levels of athletes, and hope to get you back to triathlons at the end of your recovery.
Hayward, CA |
Dr. Feeley and his team are excellent. I had a tear in my bicep which he diagnosed right away. I delayed surgery for about a year but when I was ready, he was ready for me??. We put together a surgery plan and moved forward. The day of the surgery I was informed during every step/surgery prep procedure and did not have any anxiety about the procedure. My recovery was just as he said it would be and his follow-up has been great. Looking forward to getting back to my regular routine.
in San Mateo, CA |
I had pain and a rotator cuff tear (two more were found during surgery) which kept me from being as active as I would like. I found Dr. Feeley from his Youtube videos and was impressed with his enthusiasm. He is also very athletic - he surfs Ocean Beach. Also, UCSF is a leading research center for Orthopedics. I dropped Kaiser and had surgery two weeks ago. I was very impress with his team. They follow you every day to make sure your recovery goes well. The incisions are practically invisible.
Thank you for your note. We look forward to seeing you back in the lineup in Ocean Beach for the fall swells!
in San Francisco, CA |
From intake through examination, surgery and follow-up Dr. Feeley and his care team have taken impressive care of my shoulder injuries. The experience is tightly integrated and everything they do uses state of the art, patient-friendly technology. My surgery was flawless. Dr. Feeley is a leading expert in the field with numerous publications and recognition. In person he was clear, concise and answered all my questions super fast by email - even over the holidays. Highest recommendation.
Hi Matt--thank you for the kind note. We try our best to communicate quickly with patients as we know that the peri-operative and post-operative period can be challenging for patients, especially when it is their first major injury. We hope to get you back to all your sports soon!.
Novato, CA |
Dr. Feeley and his surgery team did a great job, friendly and made me feel at ease and confidant in their abilities. His assistant Rosie is very nice, knowledgeable, and attentive. Everyone I encounted with Dr. Feeley and UCSF was super duper friendly as well, which made me feel well cared for.
Have you seen Dr. Brian Feeley, MD?

See our Sports Medicine Specialist at St. Mary's Medical Center