Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD

Dr. Atkinson
Telehealth services available

The Couples Clinic

1250 Executive Pl Ste 501 Geneva, IL 60134

Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD is a Couples Counselor in Geneva, IL. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Atkinson to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Couples Counselors in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

No malpractice claims found for Illinois

Check if Dr. Atkinson treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Atkinson's conditions and procedures:

• Relationship Issues
  • Stress

Dr. Atkinson accepts

Dr. Atkinson's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Atkinson

Dr. Atkinson?
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (18)
  • Appointment scheduling (17)
  • Listened & answered questions (16)
  • Appointment was rushed (1)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (1)
I can’t thank Brent enough for all that he has done for my husband and I. His unparalleled approach and unceasing dedication are immeasurable. Everything from the book he has written (that I would highly recommend) to the weekly counseling sessions as well as the many other creative , effective means of doing the work is what makes his practical approach so different. He is kind and compassionate as well as direct and clear about expectations. I just can't say enough good things about Brent!
TN, TX – Feb 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
A true expert in his field. He is the best, most knowledgeable, family counselor I have ever met.
Elburn, IL – Sep 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
Brent worked with my ex-wife and me (before we were divorced) in an attempt to save our marriage. She cheated and lied repeatedly to me and to him. No one could have saved our marriage. However, I believe he was effective at helping me begin to come to grips with reality.
Illinois – Aug 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
I highly recommend Brent Atkinson. He teaches and coaches couples to communicate well and have the "hard" conversations that they may get stuck in. I have used his practical techniques and guidance and can still hear his sound coaching in my ears when I need it the most. It is wonderful to feel empowered and know what areas need adjusting and what areas do not. Brent is truly a master, and my husband and I are very thankful we received his help at a crucial time in our marriage.
Appleton – Apr 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
I enrolled in a week-long intensive training seminar with Dr. Atkinson 10 years ago in Appleton, WI. I am now in the Houston Texas area and am in private practice. Dr. Atkinson's Emotional Habits for Couples, 12-Step Summary for resolving conflicts, and Core Differences in personality are a part of almost every couple session that I facilitate. They make an amazing impact in the healing of the couples that I work with. Thank you, Brent! Mary Lambrecht, M.S. LMFT Family Help Counseling, LLC
Mary J. Lambrecht, M.S. LMFT in Spring – Apr 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
We've had two couples therapies before seeking help from Brent Atkinson. These other therapies were ok but in the long run they weren't good enough. But Brent Atkinsons Approach brings so many helpful things you don't find in other approaches. Fascinating how he translates important findings from research on relationships into very helpful interventions for major and minor marriage Problems - findings, which are largerely ignored by other approaches. I can really say that he saved our marriage.
Filip P – Mar 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
In 2002, a book by Dr. Brent J. Atkinson caught my eye and I was immediately a fan of his knowledge and approach. I've now been training periodically with Dr. Atkinson since 2004 and his work is foundational in both my personal and professional life, and I highly recommend him as both therapist and trainer. Training with Dr. Atkinson has by far been the most rewarding investment of my career and honestly, toward my personal and relational health and happiness.
Angie Tsiatsos Phillips in Lakewood – Mar 22, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
Dr. Atkinson is a remarkable therapist and trainer. Truly one of the best couples therapists that you can find and I would recommend him to anyone committed to making their relationship work.
Excelsior – Mar 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
Dr. Atkinson is such a talented and honest clinician. As he is so honest and straightforward and will call people on their BS, some folks have difficulty hearing the truth. Keep up the great work, Brent!
Mar 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
This clinic changed the course of our marriage. We've done 2 Intensives at the clinic and the amount of change we've seen in our relationship has been life changing. And unlike previous therapies we've gone through - 5 years later the change persists. Another thing about this clinic is they have the expectation that you will look at your own part in your relationship dynamic and not just complain about your partner. I know I needed that to make the needed changes. I recommend them highly!
Mar 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
Highly recommend. Instrumental in helping my wife and I save our marriage.
Mar 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
Dr. Atkinson takes a multi-disciplinary research-based approach that helped us to clean out contempt from our marriage and put us on the road to a new relationship built on mutual trust and deep appreciation of one another's differences. His mindfulness teaching and trainings build the foundation for rewiring to establish respect and love in a marriage. Thanks, Brent!
David G. – Jan 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
One of the most powerful & positive experiences I've had EVER.  Dr. Atkinson can take on anyone with a desire to heal grow into mature  relationships  orientated towards connection and respect and actually retrain your brain chemistry!  In the face of in the face of hopelessness in the face of hopelessness we learned to Reorientate to love, gratitude and acceptance.. a path to release ALL contempt and judgement. All others told me to 'just cope' or give up--this Dr shared growth and healing.
Kay in AURORA – Jan 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
My husband and I went to several counselors, but it wasn’t until we went to Brent that we saw real improvement. Brent helped us see how both of us were contributing to the relationship issues, and guided us through the process of effectively applying the concepts from his book. We soon realized that his ideas really worked, once we quit blaming each other and became seriously committed to making the changes that Brent suggested. We are feeling much closer, less reactive, and happier now.
Elburn, IL – Dec 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
My husband and I went to Dr. Atkinson for several months. Brent helped each of us see our contribution to the problems and gave helpful, meaningful solutions to us. We had worked with other counselors in the past, but with little success in addressing the real issues. I felt Brent got to the heart of the matter. Our marriage is better now than it was before with more openness and understanding.
Sacramento – Dec 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
I found Dr. Atkinson to be an excellent therapist, who helped my wife and I enormously. He listened to us patiently and quickly pointed out how behaviors we learned early in life contributed to conflicts which were threatening our marriage. He gave us homework and recommended new behaviors that we adopted. Our lives have changed as a result and our marriage is doing much better. We very much value the counseling we received from Dr. Atkinson and are grateful he helped us rescue our marriage.
anonymous in St Charles, IL – Dec 06, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
Dr. Atkinson saved my marriage! His practical and scientific approach to relationships really worked for us. Brent is compassionate but will not hesitate to challenge beliefs/behaviors that perpetuate the problems you came in to fix. While hard to take at first, it grew to be something I really appreciated. It was hard work, but Brent’s confidence that we could make our marriage better was steadfast and encouraged us that our effort would be worth it. It was!
Geneva, IL – Dec 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
We have been working with Dr. Atkinson for a number of months and have been very pleased with our progress. Brent is able to tell us the things we don't want to hear but need to in order to move to the next level His ability to see where each person is at and then move them closer together has been a huge benefit to us. Dr. Atkinson gives us the tools necessary to bring our marriage to a better place.
Sycamore, IL – Dec 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?
We went to Dr. Atkinson with a chance to save our marriage. He took sides and made no attempt to find common ground or both parties. He violated client doctor information privilege during our process. His therapeutic approach showed zero appreciation for my busy professional life, nor was it therapy to begin with. His book is based on research by the Gotmann institute, the true source of knowledge. Properly state sources of his information...nowhere to be found. Plagiarism alive and well.
Naperville, IL – Mar 23, 2017
Although not typical, there are situations where...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brent Atkinson, PHD?

How was your experience with Dr. Atkinson?

Based on new discoveries in neurobiology and the science of intimate relationships, my approach will help you and your partner develop a core set of emotional...Read more

Brent Atkinson, Ph.D., is the principle architect of the Pragmatic/Experiential Method for Improving Relationships, an approach that translates new scientific...Read more

• Couples Counseling