Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD

Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD

Clinical Psychology  ·
Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD is a clinical psychologist in Lakeland, FL. He specializes in clinical psychology, counseling, and more.Read his story

5424 Strickland Ave

Lakeland, FL 33812

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida

Learn about Dr. Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Wilkinson "Hello world. My name is Dr. Berney J Wilkinson, though you can call me Dr. Berney. I am a clinical psychologist, practicing in central Florida. I began my career in the mid 90's, working on the psychiatric floor of a local hospital while finishing my undergraduate degree in Psychology. Working as a Mental Health Associate (MHA) was interesting, as I had the opportunity to work with adolescents, geriatrics, addicts, and adults with serious mental illnesses. Although I had very little training at the time, I remember being fascinated with the effects of mental illness of people's lives. While working at the hospital and trying to finish my degree, I began working as a research assistant at the University of South Florida College of Medicine. I had the opportunity to work with world renowned researchers. I remember my first research project involved the use of nicotine as a therapeutic treatment for ADHD and Tourette's Disorder. It was doing this research that really sparked my interest in working with children and families. In 1999, I began graduate school in the USF School Psychology program. Although I left my job at the hospital, I continued to work as a graduate researcher in the USF College of Medicine Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine. My interests continued to gel, and I found myself becoming more and more interested in pediatric and neuropsychology. Over the subsequent six years, I completed my doctorate, conducting research in the areas of ADHD, Tourette's Disorder, developmental delays, and pediatric psychology. In 2005, I graduated with my Ph.D. and was immediately hired as faculty in the USF College of Medicine Department of Psychiatry. Within my first year as faculty, I gained a joint appointment in the USF Department of Pediatrics. I had the opportunity to evaluate and treat infants, children, adolescents, and parents, as well as train medical students and pediatric and psychiatry residents. In 2007-2008 I completed two additional training programs, one in Forensic Psychiatry and the other in School Neuropsychology. It was a busy year, but I was finally starting to meet my professional goals. In 2008, I made the difficult decision to leave USF and began working in a private practice. Though I was worried that I would be losing two aspects of my work (teaching college and graduate students and presenting at workshops), I joined the faculty of Webster University as an Adjunct Professor and have continued to present to audiences across the country. In 2012, my first book, co-authored with Dr. Richard Marshall, was self-published. The book, entitled Handbook for Raising an Emotionally Healthy Child, is a parenting book for the modern ages, providing parents with everything that they need to know from birth through adolescence. Since then we have written an update to the Handbook (available on Amazon as a kindle e-book), as well as several other books also available on Amazon. In addition, I have been a weekly columnist for The Ledger for almost six years. In 2014, I took the next step and started my own practice - Psychological Associates of Central Florida. I stay busy and love all the work that I do. We post almost daily podcasts (The Mental Breakdown) on iTunes and YouTube to offer information and support regarding various concepts related to psychology, mental health, parenting, and healthy living. We have plans for more books as well as community workshops and conferences. There is much to do, so follow all that we do on Facebook (/PsychologicalAssociatesOfCentralFlorida)."

This content was provided by Dr. Wilkinson "Dr. Berney focus is to help his patients find happiness and success in life. Though he often utilizes cognitive-behavioral techniques, Dr. Berney will draw upon various therapeutic perspectives to meet the patient's needs. He helps patients develop healthier lifestyles to reduce stress and live a healthier life. So whether you are looking for individual cognitive-behavioral therapy, parenting skills, couples or family therapy, group therapy, nutritional support, or sport psychological coaching, Dr. Berney can help."

• Clinical Psychology
  • Forensic Psychology
  • Health Psychology
  • Psychology
  • School Psychology

Dr. Wilkinson does not have any board certifications listed.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Couples Therapy
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Independent Forensic Evaluation
  • Neuropsychological Testing
  • Psychoeducation

• University Of South Florida
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1998

Dr. Wilkinson has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Wilkinson has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Wilkinson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wilkinson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Wilkinson's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Wilkinson

4.5

Dr. Wilkinson?
Dr. Wilkinson's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD
I have told several friends, and acquantises about Dr. Wilkinson. I heard about him from a friend. My child and I both see him. Together and separate.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD?
Dr. Wilkinson Is a very friendly Psychologist with a sweet spirit. He is very articulate when communicating different ideas & has the ability to explain things in different ways as well as come across very sincere without judgement. I would highly recommend him to my friends and family. He is a...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD?
Dr. Berney is fantastic! He goes out of his way to relate to my son during our visits so that my son communicates more openly about his issues. Dr. Berney's professional demeanor is soothing, and it's clear that he really cares about helping his patients. The staff is the friendliest staff I've...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD?
I can not say enough about Dr. Berney and everyone else at PAC! Dr. Berney is empathetic and a wonderful listener. He is completely nonjudgemental and really cares about his patients. No matter what I share with him, he has a way of making me feel better about myself. He helps me make goals for...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Berney Wilkinson, PHD?
Dr. Berney is the most optimistic doctor I've ever worked with. As a survivor of childhood trauma, I've always felt broken. Dr. Berney is the first therapist that doesn't treat my brokenness. He's helping me find my confidence and move forward instead of dwelling in the past.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Wilkinson?