Barbara Polonsky, LCSW-C

Barbara Polonsky, LCSW-C

Individual Counseling  ·
Female  ·
Barbara Polonsky, LCSW-C is an individual counselor in Columbia, MD. She specializes in individual counseling, cognitive & behavioral psychology, and more.Read her story

5122 Aver Ct

Columbia, MD 21044

Learn about Barbara Polonsky

Barbara Polonsky's bio

This content was provided by Barbara Polonsky "I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with over 30 years of experience in Private Practice. I have an undergraduate degree in Sociology from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master's degree in Social Work from the University of MD. My post graduate career started at the Western Center, a prenatal clinic for adolescents, where I provided infant care, parenting, and family planning education as well as counseling services to teenage mothers. The research for my Master's Thesis, "Teenage Mothers and the Support Received by their Babies' Fathers" was conducted at this clinic and later published. My subsequent work experience includes working with women of domestic violence and their partners at the YWCA Women's Center where I provided individual, couples, and group therapy. While living in Istanbul, Turkey, I worked as a Guidance Counselor/Teacher at the American International Community School and served as a liaison between parents and teachers. I also ran a crisis group for the expatriate community during the Gulf War in the early 90's. Upon returning to the US, I worked in the Carroll County Public School System providing services to level-5 students and their parents, working with the school Guidance Counselors and Teachers in designing individual treatment programs. The majority of my career has been spent in Private Practice providing services to families, individuals, couples, children and adolescents. During this time I received three levels of training in Hypnotherapy and later, developed a strong interest in Mindfulness-based practices such as meditation and yoga. I have discovered that the newer modalities of Mindfulness have had a tremendous and positive impact on my clients' ability to manage their anxiety and depression. My Hypnotherapy skills, combined with Mindfulness Therapy, have helped my clients become aware of how their bodies communicate with them on a deeper level, providing important guidance in navigating through stressful periods in their lives. As for the services I provide for my clients currently, my treatment modality is an eclectic blend of the traditional Psychodynamic and Cognitive Behavioral with the more Spiritual and Mindfulness based therapies and has resulted in helping individuals become more aware of their personal and intuitive powers in managing their lives."

This content was provided by Barbara Polonsky "As a therapist practicing for over 30 years, I've had a growing passion in guiding others through their journey to achieve success and happiness.

My first priority as a therapist is having compassion for and teaching self-compassion to my clients.  I stress that hidden among the weaknesses people see in themselves lie enormous strengths waiting to be uncovered.

I teach women how to find their voice and connect to their vulnerability in order to live more authentically, consciously, and fully.  I stress the importance of self-care during the process of self-discovery, something often difficult for women to do for themselves.

I am an active therapist with sharp intuitive skills that I feel help my clients get in touch with themselves on a deeper level. Despite the challenges of change, there can be joy in the journey of self-discovery.

I look forward to joining you in the journey of discovering the person you are meant to be! To reach my website, google BarbaraPolonsky."

• Individual Counseling
  • ADHD Parent Coaching
  • Anxiety Disorders
  • Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology
  • Cognitive & Behavioral Psychology
  • Relationship Counseling
  • Women's Counseling
  • Women's Health Psychology

Barbara Polonsky does not have any board certifications listed.

• Behavior Modification
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Individual Therapy
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Stress Management

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• University Of Pittsburgh / Main Campus
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1981
  • Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1981
  • Maryland Family and Childrens' Services
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1985
  • Social Security Administration
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1986

Barbara Polonsky has no awards or honors listed.

Barbara Polonsky has no media or publications listed.

Barbara Polonsky does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Barbara Polonsky and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Barbara Polonsky's Reviews

Be the first to leave a review

Barbara Polonsky?

How was your experience with Barbara Polonsky?