Anne Totero, LMFT

Anne Totero, LMFT

Marriage & Family Therapy  ·
Female  ·
Anne Totero, LMFT is a marriage & family therapist in Madison, WI. She graduated from none and specializes in marriage & family therapy, psychotherapy, and more.Read her story

6001 Research Park Blvd

Madison, WI 53719

• Physicians Plus Insurance Corporation
  • Unity Health Plans Insurance Corporation

Learn about Anne Totero

Anne Totero's bio

This content was provided by Anne Totero " Why come in for therapy? Because I am not as scary as I look! The reality of my practice is based in strengths and realizing you have what you need right inside of you. Your experiences, processes, and dynamics have subdued the birth of those skills. We often find ourselves stuck in places where we don't belong anymore and it is sometimes maddening. We sometimes have high expectations of who we are, where we are going, or what we should be doing. Then from there...we are spending more time thinking of what isn't even happening in the here and now and we've lost that time. How's that been going for you? Come laugh with me about the ridiculous thoughts that our anxiety tells us is true. Let's not laugh at the thoughts but with them and realize they are trying to protect us and serve a purpose. Teens: I was an angsty teen that sometimes didn't like being around my family and got mad at them for no reason sometimes. I went through social pressures that felt unbearable and my anxious and depressive symptoms spiked. I get it. The world can suck sometimes. But one thing I can let you know is there is way more good than bad. That is coming from someone who still can be angsty. I can't take the angst away and in reality? I don't want to. Angst drove me to this passion, to my practice, and to you reading this. I am not a best friend. I am not another parent. I am, however, a sound board for those thoughts that are holding you back and want to give you ways to say, "Cut your crap, brain. I have better things to do." Young Adults/Launching: I remember when I got a 19 and then a 22 on my ACT. My anxiety for test taking was so intense that it still creeps up on me even when I took my licensing exam for therapy in recent years. I also remember when I failed my Chemistry class my Freshman year of college. I thought I was a nobody and somehow, even worse (i.e., in my head!) ... "someone average." Let me tell you. My college years after that were what I made them: a blast. I took the long way, the hard way, the 80 hours a week, the $70,000 in loans, and 6 jobs later. I now work at UW Health, one of the largest health organizations with prestige, research, education, and clinical practice at age 29. No, I tell people my age for a reason. 11 years ago I was failing a Chemistry class and ready to drop out of college. I believe in working hard, finding what works for you, and building your dreams around your passions. I can't take away the exhausting days or when it feels like too much. But we can help build a plan that has it feeling less overwhelming. Couples: I have been THERE! Woo! The day where you have tried so hard in a relationship that you have ran yourself into the ground. I have experienced attachment, love, and loss to intense degrees just like you. I have a passion for finding common ground, even if it means it's the end of a relationship. I do not hold a bias for people staying together or splitting up. I hold a bias for people still being themselves in a relationship, putting their relationship first and having an aligned front, and recognizing lessons from loss if that comes to it. I have a passion for both heterosexual relationships and LGTBQ relationships. We all have our battles, but most the time: the process and message is the same. We are just spending so much time yelling about the chip dip being left out instead of recognizing it's about love language and making small changes. Families: Well. Goodness. I don't have much to say except: Get in here. Your family isn't as "messed up" as you think it is and you have a LOT more in common than you could ever imagine. Let's have some fun and reconnect you back together. Everyone: I am not here to replace your relationships or for you to "need" therapy. I do want you to come in realizing I am the chess piece that is baiting you into finding yourself or each other again."

This content was provided by Anne Totero "My therapeutic practice is built on the basis that we already have the skills that are required to help life be a little bit better...we just have to unlock them. My job is give you clues how to find that key to unlock your mental health and recovery. I won't give you the key, I am not a quick-fix therapist. I want you to learn how to internally motivate yourself and learn skills for long-term mental health recovery and management. I provide a client-centered approach where I include strengths, positive challenging, and a "think outside the box" attitude. What sets me apart is my experience in multiple levels of care (i.e., outpatient, case management, partial hospitalization, state institutions, local hospitals, and in-home therapy) so I have seen symptoms at many different stages and ages. I also have experience and a passion for couples and family work so adolescents, young adults, and stage of life transitions are where my interests also peak. "

• Marriage & Family Therapy
  • Group Psychotherapy
  • Psychotherapy

Anne Totero does not have any board certifications listed.

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adolescent Depression
  • Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Behavioral Symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Chronic Depression
  • Depression Relapse
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Divorce
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder

• LGBT Affirmative Psychotherapy
  • Marital and Family Psychotherapy
  • Psychotherapy for Crisis
  • Psychotherapy Services

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Wisconsin.

• Northern Michigan University
  • none
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed
  • Edgewood College - Masters Degree
    Other Education | Completed

Anne Totero has no awards or honors listed.

Anne Totero has no media or publications listed.

Anne Totero does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Anne Totero and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Anne Totero's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Anne Totero to family and friends

Anne Totero's Performance

I had Anne for group and we had so much fun. I learned a lot.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option3thumbs down icon option0
Smart - Kind - Genuine Those are the best things I can say right now. I had lots of docs before this and I feel down it took me so long to find someone who gets people. You won't be disappointed.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option6thumbs down icon option0
I left another review but I don't know if it worked. I have been seeing Anne and she is honest and really wants me to do all. She is funny and we laugh a lot in session which makes me feel more at ease. I think Anne gets me. If she reads this then just know you're great and I really feel lucky.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option8thumbs down icon option0
Anne is welcoming, caring and knows how to talk with teenagers. She is deft at combining compassion, humor and problem solving. My daughter immediately took to her.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option8thumbs down icon option0

My heart fluttered. Work with teens girls make my heart feel so warm because they are so misunderstood and sometimes, are understood but are too stubborn to let people know! Thank you for being a phenomenal parent and being in her corner.

Nearby providers with similar experience

Counseling